Cal Berkeley Coach (women) abusive

Well I suppose you can sue anyone any time.
finishing nearly last in the PAC-12 with a top 3 recruiting class and underperforming vs. like schools as UCLA, USC and Stanford CONSISTENTLY is enough to get one canned.

There's a couple ways to look at this...one those rankings are way off (which they are) and two He hasn't made it past the second round in a LONG time. At any other high conference school, he would have been canned a long time ago

Looks like the Swimming coach is super mean, allegedly. Why are some coaches assholes? Why do coaches treat other fellow humans like this? WTF up you guys and read this. You think it only happens in swimming? My dd was told by a top coach that the more he yells at a player=the more I care for that player. Yikes!!!

Looks like the Swimming coach is super mean, allegedly. Why are some coaches assholes? Why do coaches treat other fellow humans like this? WTF up you guys and read this. You think it only happens in swimming? My dd was told by a top coach that the more he yells at a player=the more I care for that player. Yikes!!!

They do it because it gets results in the ones that stay + it also scares off the ones that cant take it + allows them to recruit a new/younger player to fill their shoes.

The players are tortured but who cares because the team is a winning.

They do it because it gets results in the ones that stay + it also scares off the ones that cant take it + allows them to recruit a new/younger player to fill their shoes.

The players are tortured but who cares because the team is a winning.
My buddy has a dd that quit soccer because of this kind of meanness from some assholes at the D1 level. Some coaches have 40 players to pick on to find their top 11 starters and 7 players ready to go on the bench. After they figure out quickly who will obey their way of coaching, they will turn their attention to the "trouble maker(s)" ((usually a leader, just not the type of leader the asshole coach likes)) that ask too many damn questions or challenges a top coach for abuse and bullying. They will narrow in on those few players, scream at them, yell at them and put them down so bad they either quit or want to kill themselves. WTF is this?

Last edited:
They will narrow in on those few players, scream at them, yell at them and put them down so bad they either quit or want to kill themselves. WTF is this?

Whatever it is it has to stop and I wish the NCAA would step in and some ADs would have the courage to end this. If an AD that had staff treating other people on their staff like this it would be a massive HR violation and lawsuit.

My buddy has a dd that quit soccer because of this kind of meanness from some assholes at the D1 level. Some coaches have 40 players to pick on to find their top 11 starters and 7 players ready to go on the bench. After they figure out quickly who will obey their way of coaching, they will turn their attention to the "trouble maker(s)" ((usually a leader, just not the type of leader the asshole coach likes)) that ask too many damn questions or challenges a top coach for abuse and bullying. They will narrow in on those few players, scream at them, yell at them and put them down so bad they either quit or want to kill themselves. WTF is this?
This is pretty much how it works at the top level. Add parent pressure + social circle pressure to the mix.

Players that were on the top club/team their entire lives (often because parents were pulling strings in the background) will have a hard time when none of that works any longer + suddenly the entire team is full of players just like them.

Whatever it is it has to stop and I wish the NCAA would step in and some ADs would have the courage to end this. If an AD that had staff treating other people on their staff like this it would be a massive HR violation and lawsuit.
Well, it looks like they get to be the keystone cops and the private investigators and that is not good. The pressure put on these athletes is wrong and abusive. You also have to be concerned that one of these coaches will try and date your dd, marry them or at least hook up and I don't like that at all. I get hate PMs when I go there but I think it's time we all help clean this abuse up. I can't be the only one who see's all this crap!! I know not all coaches are like this swim coach. However, we need the good one's to start speaking up and not worry about media day. Jimbo called out Nick. Fear keeps so many from speaking up for fear of losing their job, position or spot on the team. "My lips are sealed" they say because they don;t want to get labeled a trouble maker dad or get blacklisted for being a leader.

I have heard it said many times on here that the girls really do earn their scholarships in college and have to also take on verbal abuse. It's more than a full time job some say during the season and most think that a half or full ride is worth being "challenged and called out" by the coach to be tougher and not a big baby that is always complaining of being sick with cramps or just tired of being yelled at and cursed at. Some girls have hormonal and emotional reaction from the pill and during "that time of the month" as well and all this needs to be handled with love, respect, kindness, understanding and patients. Yelling and screaming at girls with cramps is horrible. I was a sales manager and I could never talk to my female or males workers like this, regardless of their salary or how much I thought they would fail. In fact, I gave everyone of my reps a chance and I never yelled at them. My gosh!!! This is going on a lot ((not all places)) you guys and we all know it. Most parents keep quite and I understand that and I don;t judge. If you speak up, your toast and the player is blacklisted. I know how this all works, trust me :(

I have heard it said many times on here that the girls really do earn their scholarships in college and have to also take on verbal abuse. It's more than a full time job some say during the season and most think that a half or full ride is worth being "challenged and called out" by the coach to be tougher and not a big baby that is always complaining of being sick or just tired of being yelled at and cursed at. I was a sales manager and I could never talk to my female or males workers like this, regardless of their salary or how much I thought they would fail. In fact, I gave everyone of my reps a chance and I never yelled at them. My gosh!!! This is going on a lot ((not all places)) you guys and we all know it. Most parents keep quite and I understand that and I don;t judge. If you speak up, your toast and the player is blacklisted. I know how this all works, trust me :(
It's fairly easy to solve.

Colleges should pay players like employees (which they are).

Do this and it will all stop once the hostile work environment lawsuits come rolling in.

It's fairly easy to solve.

Colleges should pay players like employees (which they are).

Do this and it will all stop once the hostile work environment lawsuits come rolling in.

Retaliation will stop as well from these punks. It's one thing to complain about a hostile work environment, it's another when one does complain and then is 100% retaliated against and their reputation destroyed. It's one thing to get blocked entry, it's another when assholes make up lies and half truths to make one look bad. The fact is, just because a girl or boy can do a 4.7, 1500 SAT and kick a soccer ball doesn't make them experts on how to handle being yelled at and called names from a coach at a far away place, away from home the first time. A girl made to feel stupid because they feel like ending their life is cruel and evil and maybe criminal ((if true)). We all know some smart people who bailed on us and we all thought they were happy. Happy on the outside does not equal happy on the inside :(

I always say if the managers in the workplace treated their employees the way some (probably most) youth coaches treat their players they would be fired. Why are adults more protected than kids? Crazy...

I have heard it said many times on here that the girls really do earn their scholarships in college and have to also take on verbal abuse. It's more than a full time job some say during the season and most think that a half or full ride is worth being "challenged and called out" by the coach to be tougher and not a big baby that is always complaining of being sick with cramps or just tired of being yelled at and cursed at. Some girls have hormonal and emotional reaction from the pill and during "that time of the month" as well and all this needs to be handled with love, respect, kindness, understanding and patients. Yelling and screaming at girls with cramps is horrible. I was a sales manager and I could never talk to my female or males workers like this, regardless of their salary or how much I thought they would fail. In fact, I gave everyone of my reps a chance and I never yelled at them. My gosh!!! This is going on a lot ((not all places)) you guys and we all know it. Most parents keep quite and I understand that and I don;t judge. If you speak up, your toast and the player is blacklisted. I know how this all works, trust me :(

My player lost her love of the game because of this kind of stuff, and her coaching staff weren't nearly the assholes that you see at other programs, just a lot of passive aggressive pressure and related BS. She had not even peaked in her last season and was leading the NCAA in shutouts, save percentage and other states. She had NWSL coaches reaching out regarding the draft and she passed because she had lost the zest that would be required to play at that level. Then seeing one of her peers and old YNT teammate, a top prospect for the pros, kill herself, and that did it for her.

She started coaching young girls and found that the impact she was making on them was meaningful, and will probably continue to do that as a side hustle. In the process of being involved in the youth, she started playing again in an adult league and started having fun again.

There must be some way to get top performance out of young women without all the games, tricks, abuse, and assholery.

My player lost her love of the game because of this kind of stuff, and her coaching staff weren't nearly the assholes that you see at other programs, just a lot of passive aggressive pressure and related BS. She had not even peaked in her last season and was leading the NCAA in shutouts, save percentage and other states. She had NWSL coaches reaching out regarding the draft and she passed because she had lost the zest that would be required to play at that level. Then seeing one of her peers and old YNT teammate, a top prospect for the pros, kill herself, and that did it for her.

She started coaching young girls and found that the impact she was making on them was meaningful, and will probably continue to do that as a side hustle. In the process of being involved in the youth, she started playing again in an adult league and started having fun again.

There must be some way to get top performance out of young women without all the games, tricks, abuse, and assholery.
Some random, somewhat related thoughts...

First, I hope your dd continues to find ways to impact young girls, either as a coach or just a strong female leader. She is a great example for young girls (players and non-players). Finding her way through multiple significant injuries, ending her college career like she did and getting her college degree is a great story.

Second, as bad as it is some places at the college level, it is even worse when I see parents putting their dd's in these situations at the youth level. We have all seen the behavior at the youngest ages of club soccer. Parents are essentially telling their dd's that the behavior is normal/acceptable and it just isn't. I can't imagine letting my 12 year-old daughter play for one of these coaches simply to chase some silly trophy or because I think it improves her chances of playing in college. There are plenty of good youth coaches who don't behave this way, but the bad ones will continue to succeed as long as parents allow it.

Third, this is why I continue to like hs soccer for my dd. It is a good break from the grind of club soccer as the girls get older and it can help remind them why they love the game. I realize the soccer isn't as good and the physical nature of hs soccer isn't acceptable in some leagues, but it can be a great experience at the right school. Do your research on the hs program before you send your dd there...find one that plays decent soccer but also is fun. I know plenty of girls who went on to play in college, but consider their hs playing days to be some of the best times of their lives.

Second, as bad as it is some places at the college level, it is even worse when I see parents putting their dd's in these situations at the youth level. We have all seen the behavior at the youngest ages of club soccer. Parents are essentially telling their dd's that the behavior is normal/acceptable and it just isn't.

^^^This^^^ We cannot tolerate assholery at the youth level. When you find that *great* coach, stick with them even if the team isn't at the top of the table.

I feel fortunate that we broke ties with one youth coach (one who is well known in orange county and has quite the resume)...he showed his true colors when my daughter very graciously let him know she was moving on. I really should have posted the email he wrote to a 16 year old girl on this forum so people would know what they were getting into with this guy.

^^^This^^^ We cannot tolerate assholery at the youth level. When you find that *great* coach, stick with them even if the team isn't at the top of the table.

I feel fortunate that we broke ties with one youth coach (one who is well known in orange county and has quite the resume)...he showed his true colors when my daughter very graciously let him know she was moving on. I really should have posted the email he wrote to a 16 year old girl on this forum so people would know what they were getting into with this guy.
I appreciate you sharing your dd story. I have some emails and text from the past, plus my own eye witness accounts. Imagine a top Doc or coach telling his players that they best better not tell their parents the going on's at practice. And oh by the way, if any parent does call to complain or ask for for clarifications, they will be sitting on the bench in front of all the college coaches and YNT scouts looking for top talent. Do you honestly think crush turned his cheek and said nothing about this BS rule? Please, I have been after these type of asses for 6+ years and let me tell you, he hate me. I also told one the top top female coaches in America that one of his coaches said this and that to the girls and nothing happen. One guy yelled such crazy I'm shocked their still coaching. By the way, I hope your dd finds her true calling and path. GK life on earth at this level is insane and not easy. I know many top GK and their parents ands the pressure these player feel are not the same as the other players.

We were working with a coach once that was the new hot thing in town so nobody knew his "true colors" / background.

As we were working with him it became clear that he was coin operated by parents through privates, etc. Nope'd it out of there fairly quickly + just like I expected crazy parents jumped in at the opportunity + started showering the coach with goodies. Right now the crazy parents on that team have hit an equilibrium but it's just a matter of time before things explode. Those same parents have caused problems at every club they've been at + have hopped multiple times.

What's sad is I watch the kids + they just like playing + don't understand all the things going on at the coach / parent levels. Eventually the kids will get blindsided by something unethical the coach / parents do. It's just a matter of time before it happens.

Talk to your kids (girls and boys) and make sure they know this sh*t goes on everywhere. College campuses should not be presumptive safehouses...

I've seen demeaning and verbally abusive coaches at all levels of club coaching. Most disappointing at the "top" clubs in SoCal. When your daughter is fighting back tears due to a coach's comments or behavior, you're failing her by leaving her there, thinking that it will get better. Or, it will be worth it in the long run. Wrong. Leave. The ego will never change.

Well, it looks like they get to be the keystone cops and the private investigators and that is not good. The pressure put on these athletes is wrong and abusive. You also have to be concerned that one of these coaches will try and date your dd, marry them or at least hook up and I don't like that at all. I get hate PMs when I go there but I think it's time we all help clean this abuse up. I can't be the only one who see's all this crap!! I know not all coaches are like this swim coach. However, we need the good one's to start speaking up and not worry about media day. Jimbo called out Nick. Fear keeps so many from speaking up for fear of losing their job, position or spot on the team. "My lips are sealed" they say because they don;t want to get labeled a trouble maker dad or get blacklisted for being a leader.

I have always wondered why Jerry Smith got a free pass at Santa Clara and nobody talks about that. Gross.

It's not too late to post the email if you still have it.

Back