Cactus Kick-off feedback

Eagle33

PREMIER
I'm sure few of you went to this tourney last weekend. I swear, I will not tell ;)
Any feedback appreciated. Like parents allowed or not, masks, number of people, etc.

I'm sure few of you went to this tourney last weekend. I swear, I will not tell ;)
Any feedback appreciated. Like parents allowed or not, masks, number of people, etc.
look at the scores from so cal teams in all the brackets......waste of a weekend IMO

A friend of mine heard from one of his third cousin’s best friend’s nephew that parents were allowed on the complex, were allowed to watch the game (even if not directly on the sideline), the event was very well organized, the weather was beautiful (he heard Sunday was hotter than the first 2 days), games were on time, played at Reach 11 which from what he explained to me in sign language i would assume they are very nice fielda to play on, if not the best. From what I could make out, it sounds like most people were wearing masks, very small fraction of people not complying. There was apparently no limi of people at any site. But the most CRIMINAL part of all was those smiles on the kids faces! Ooops they were wearing masks so never mind he couldn’t tell if they were smiling.

As long as parents had their masks on, they were cool about them watching from the sides. It was hot 100+ but the breeze helped. I was there with my DD. She was playing 2 years up gold bracket with a goat team from California. They took out the best teams in Phoenix with some beautiful possession soccer. Champs. Great experience for my DD because she was undersized and under speed. She was forced to figure out how to compete with no physical advantages.

Reach 11 are super fields and were even better than normal as they haven't been played on for 6 months.

Easy in/out of the venues, easy to park, easy to watch the games (field #6 at Reach being the exception).

Hot, but that's to be expected.

Competition could be hit & miss (best AZ teams didn't play for example, and various RSL teams playing up), but all in all a mellow, chilled weekend of soccer ... and lots of happy, smiley kids faces is always good to see.

As long as parents had their masks on, they were cool about them watching from the sides. It was hot 100+ but the breeze helped. I was there with my DD. She was playing 2 years up gold bracket with a goat team from California. They took out the best teams in Phoenix with some beautiful possession soccer. Champs. Great experience for my DD because she was undersized and under speed. She was forced to figure out how to compete with no physical advantages.
I'm glad you guys enjoyed your time here. Certainly warm but could have been hotter.

As far as the best teams were concerned, the best teams were not there, they were busy playing each other or another club roughly 55 miles south of Reach. It's unfortunate that those teams didn't participate but the format isn't something that those clubs like to play in (2 games a day).

I guess to put things in perspective (at least at one age group), Strikers ECNL 04s tied the RSL DPL 04 (second team), beat handily another AZ state League team, then won the whole thing by beating a pretty good CCV team 1 0. At the end of the day, as one mentioned, it's just great to have the ladies back on the pitch. We certainly appreciate the participation.

There was a GA/ECNL mini tournament in Maricopa (RSL and Phoenix Rising). SCDS had their teams play older girls from FC Tucson.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed your time here. Certainly warm but could have been hotter.

As far as the best teams were concerned, the best teams were not there, they were busy playing each other or another club roughly 55 miles south of Reach. It's unfortunate that those teams didn't participate but the format isn't something that those clubs like to play in (2 games a day).

I guess to put things in perspective (at least at one age group), Strikers ECNL 04s tied the RSL DPL 04 (second team), beat handily another AZ state League team, then won the whole thing by beating a pretty good CCV team 1 0. At the end of the day, as one mentioned, it's just great to have the ladies back on the pitch. We certainly appreciate the participation.

There was a GA/ECNL mini tournament in Maricopa (RSL and Phoenix Rising). SCDS had their teams play older girls from FC Tucson.

you could be right about most the teams there but the word was we beat the #2 team from Arizona for the 2008 division. They were tough and played great kick ball :D

you could be right about most the teams there but the word was we beat the #2 team from Arizona for the 2008 division. They were tough and played great kick ball :D
Maybe, I don't know much about the 08 year group. I know that the GA doesn't do 08s. I believe ECNL has an 08 year group (their first year group?). Looking at the Gold division for that year group, I didn't see any Arsenal or Phoenix Rising ECNL teams on the schedule.

Then again, they are 08s, let em play!! Fun age group to watch..

Maybe, I don't know much about the 08 year group. I know that the GA doesn't do 08s. I believe ECNL has an 08 year group (their first year group?). Looking at the Gold division for that year group, I didn't see any Arsenal or Phoenix Rising ECNL teams on the schedule.

Then again, they are 08s, let em play!! Fun age group to watch..
The GAL league does have 08s (GDA did not). RSL GA 08s and Rising ECNL 08s were playing in the GA/ECNL mini event in Maricopa. They played each other on Sat afternoon.

BTW, in that mini event they were playing 2 games on Sat for sure ... so the whole don't do 2 games a day is BS. They play whatever suits them.

The GAL league does have 08s (GDA did not). RSL GA 08s and Rising ECNL 08s were playing in the GA/ECNL mini event in Maricopa. They played each other on Sat afternoon.

BTW, in that mini event they were playing 2 games on Sat for sure ... so the whole don't do 2 games a day is BS. They play whatever suits them.

Yep, you are right, they do have 08s. I guess I was going off of DA age groups from previous years. The youngest girls age group in the DA was U14, the boys DA carried U13s. I personally think it's silly to carry such a young team and travel them throughout the region, but it adds $$$ to the club's coffers.

Interesting that they played 2 games on SAT. Two seasons with the DA and never played 2 games in day- weekend travel to CA was always one game a day and showcases certainly never had 2 games in a day. I guess we will see if the GA plays two games in a day at their inaugural event. I doubt it but you never know. I didn't know they played two games this past saturday in Maricopa - interesting. I thought each age group played each other once. Maybe RSL decided to play a second game internally?

Yep, you are right, they do have 08s. I guess I was going off of DA age groups from previous years. The youngest girls age group in the DA was U14, the boys DA carried U13s. I personally think it's silly to carry such a young team and travel them throughout the region, but it adds $$$ to the club's coffers.

Interesting that they played 2 games on SAT. Two seasons with the DA and never played 2 games in day- weekend travel to CA was always one game a day and showcases certainly never had 2 games in a day. I guess we will see if the GA plays two games in a day at their inaugural event. I doubt it but you never know. I didn't know they played two games this past saturday in Maricopa - interesting. I thought each age group played each other once. Maybe RSL decided to play a second game internally?
Looks like in the SW region (and most other areas of the country), there is an 08 division for the GA league. But not in the NW, at least looking at the GA website.

Which is actually good for the GA because that specific age group would be terribly weak. It will give them a year to build, hopefully.

I didn't know they played two games this past saturday in Maricopa - interesting. I thought each age group played each other once. Maybe RSL decided to play a second game internally?
First game vs an 07 SoCal team, second vs Rising 08 ECNL. They played another game (dunno vs who) early Sun AM - close to / basically 3 games in 24 hours.

No surprise to hear the 'best' teams were not there, like you say likely because of the two games in a day format. Clearly those teams are run by experienced coaches who recognize the injury risk of playing twice in the same day. Yes, we all know it's part of the tournament format here but that doesn't mean everyone has to blindly follow it. Just don't play in any (or at least many) tournaments with that format and avoid the injury risk for your kids.

Great to hear there were lots of smiling faces on the fields and while I personally wouldn't travel 6 hours to play a game or two right now, I'm pleased for the CA kids who got to play after so long without games!

No surprise to hear the 'best' teams were not there, like you say likely because of the two games in a day format. Clearly those teams are run by experienced coaches who recognize the injury risk of playing twice in the same day
Actually no. The reason was the top teams were scrimmaging against each other vs playing lesser teams in the tournament.

I think I’d rather hear about teams scheduling under cover scrimmages than driving 6.5 hours to play a game in September.

What are teams using for player cards?

Back