CA County by County Covid-19 Key Metrics: Rate of CV-19 Spread over Time and Hospitalizations as % of Total Care Capacity

whatithink

SILVER ELITE
What was clever about including Sweden? I could have included Belgium or the Netherlands which have similar populations but more deaths.

I included the major countries in Europe plus a small one to add up to a similar population to the US.

When you do that you find that Europe has not faired much better vs the US during this time.

What you find people doing all the time is comparing just Germany to the US or just the UK to the US. To have a more realistic comparison compare similar populations. When you do that you find not much difference.
Yes, you can't compare total deaths from one country to another, which is why generally people compare it on a per capita basis. You can't combine countries as they are ... you know ... different countries with different governments who had different approaches.

To your point comparison, Germany has maybe 20% of the per capita deaths to the US. The UK has the highest per capita deaths of the seven countries, then Italy/Spain/Sweden are similar & higher than the US, with France lower than the US, but in the same range.

You could also throw in population density as a contributing factor with only Sweden having a lower one than the US, the others have multiples of the US - but we could play with stats all day to tell whatever narrative we wanted them to be, to support whatever story we wanted to tell.

Their peaks were much earlier than the US though and they were surely the canary in the coalmine that was seen, heard and soundly ignored here.

Back to the "yesterday" piece, they do seem to have a modicum of control, notwithstanding bubble outbreaks, whereas the US is still struggling with that IMO.

paytoplay

SILVER
Lets compare similar populations and deaths.

Spain, Italy, Germany, France, UK, Italy, Sweden.
155,926 deaths
Combined population: 334 million

USA
168,430 deaths
Population 331 million
Congratulations on your own goal. Champions league level. I’m watching the Europeans finish out the season of the best and most lucrative sport in the world. Only in Amer...doh!!

Desert Hound

PREMIER
Yes, you can't compare total deaths from one country to another, which is why generally people compare it on a per capita basis. You can't combine countries as they are ... you know ... different countries with different governments who had different approaches.

To your point comparison, Germany has maybe 20% of the per capita deaths to the US. The UK has the highest per capita deaths of the seven countries, then Italy/Spain/Sweden are similar & higher than the US, with France lower than the US, but in the same range.

You could also throw in population density as a contributing factor with only Sweden having a lower one than the US, the others have multiples of the US - but we could play with stats all day to tell whatever narrative we wanted them to be, to support whatever story we wanted to tell.

Their peaks were much earlier than the US though and they were surely the canary in the coalmine that was seen, heard and soundly ignored here.

Back to the "yesterday" piece, they do seem to have a modicum of control, notwithstanding bubble outbreaks, whereas the US is still struggling with that IMO.
Well if you like, we could throw out NY, NJ, CT, MA and PA. That would eliminate about half of all the deaths. And then when we compare the rest of the states to various countries we would find our per capita rate looking much better.

And again add up all those countries and their deaths. Total deaths are similar. And since I compared similar population sized you will find on a per capita basis them to be very similar.

476 per million in those Euro countries
509 in the US

And as you go through those countries, some areas in the countries have high population density...others don't. Much like we see in the US

“Not a problem. It will just disappear.”

Actually I believe that is what you are many others are hoping for by hiding in your basement.
I was quoting President Trump. You know, the lame duck president who kept saying Covid is not a problem and it will disappear.

Not hiding. No basement. Been bike riding in the Santa Ynez Valley and hiking in Lake Tahoe.

But I hang out with smart people...who acknowledge reality.

paytoplay

SILVER
We should have used the first two months to crush the shit out of COVID19 on a national level through team effort and strong leadership. Yes wear a mask. Yes to find a basement. We crush it and then reopen and walk around town with masks on our face like Asians from a year ago. Instead we allowed it to linger and spread through our foolishness. United we stand, divided we fall.

whatithink

SILVER ELITE
Well if you like, we could throw out NY, NJ, CT, MA and PA. That would eliminate about half of all the deaths. And then when we compare the rest of the states to various countries we would find our per capita rate looking much better.

And again add up all those countries and their deaths. Total deaths are similar. And since I compared similar population sized you will find on a per capita basis them to be very similar.

476 per million in those Euro countries
509 in the US

And as you go through those countries, some areas in the countries have high population density...others don't. Much like we see in the US
Yeah, and to quote my good self

... but we could play with stats all day to tell whatever narrative we wanted them to be, to support whatever story we wanted to tell.
and

... they do seem to have a modicum of control, notwithstanding bubble outbreaks, whereas the US is still struggling with that IMO.

Desert Hound

PREMIER
We crush it and then reopen and walk around town with masks on our face like Asians from a year ago.
Here are some of the locations in Asia, SE Asia that we have been told stopped the spread of the virus.

2020-08-12_1424.png

2020-08-12_1426.png

2020-08-12_1428.png

2020-08-12_1429.png

Yes I know Australia is not in Asia. But they have been used as an example of a country that stopped the virus.

2020-08-12_1429.png

Fandango laughs because he’s got no response. Scoreboard again.
i'm all for doing nothing and letting it run its course.
Just like we always have.
Its not Polio or small pox. Its a really bad cold than can lead to pneumonia and death with the elderly.
Keep the elderly protected as well as we can and everyone else go back to work and school.
Just like we did with the swine flu.

dad4

PREMIER
We should have used the first two months to crush the shit out of COVID19 on a national level through team effort and strong leadership. Yes wear a mask. Yes to find a basement. We crush it and then reopen and walk around town with masks on our face like Asians from a year ago. Instead we allowed it to linger and spread through our foolishness. United we stand, divided we fall.
I thought this was interesting regarding facemask wearing from The Japan Times.

And you thought it was all about health? Conforming to social norms is the primary motive for Japanese to wear face masks during the pandemic, survey results show, rather than a drive to protect themselves and others.