Building out from the back --

I admit what to the limits of what I know. How about you?
Sounds like something a therapist would direct you to say...too deep for this conversation. I'm referring to a specific HS, coach and set of easily knowable facts and for some reason you're just throwing out BS. But frankly, I can care less what your agenda or motives are, my assessment is solid. No need to respond.

Sounds like something a therapist would direct you to say...too deep for this conversation. I'm referring to a specific HS, coach and set of easily knowable facts and for some reason you're just throwing out BS. But frankly, I can care less what your agenda or motives are, my assessment is solid. No need to respond.

It appears we have established that this coach has worked for several clubs the last few years. How does that support your claim that "for years PHS boys program has been a Poway Vaqueros good old boy system" (especially now that you have admitted that he doesn't coach for that club any more)?

Another rebuttal to the old boy network theory. This is from a few years ago, and the goal scorer played for Vaqueros early on, but then went to 2 or 3 other clubs before college play at UC Davis and USD. He made the PHS team as a Freshman despite leaving Vaqueros years earlier, (I recommend running with the sound turned off the first time - the camera was in the middle of the crowd so the cheering can get a little distracting). Situation - opponent's right-side corner kick, loose ball, then ---

Another rebuttal to the old boy network theory. This is from a few years ago, and the goal scorer played for Vaqueros early on, but then went to 2 or 3 other clubs before college play at UC Davis and USD. He made the PHS team as a Freshman despite leaving Vaqueros years earlier, (I recommend running with the sound turned off the first time - the camera was in the middle of the crowd so the cheering can get a little distracting). Situation - opponent's right-side corner kick, loose ball, then ---

Partially keeper error. On breakaway in the goalbox you have to come out. Once the defender was beat the keeper should have scrambled off the line.

Partially keeper error. On breakaway in the goalbox you have to come out. Once the defender was beat the keeper should have scrambled off the line.

I think that's a tough call because by the time the second defender got beat close in the keeper was stuck on the line just trying to be big.

I think that's a tough call because by the time the second defender got beat close in the keeper was stuck on the line just trying to be big.

@GraceT, I have to agree with @espola. The attacker beat two defenders. The keeper held the line at the near post during the tackle/defensive attempts (right). When the 2nd defender was beat the attacker is sitting point-blank in the goal box with a 3rd defender attempting to defend the far post area. The strike was almost perfect, between the window of the 3rd defender and the keeper's reach.

Also note the 2nd attacker on the far post that could have taken an easy shot if the GK bites too early, assuming attacker 1 can pass through defender 3.

@GraceT, I have to agree with @espola. The attacker beat two defenders. The keeper held the line at the near post during the tackle/defensive attempts (right). When the 2nd defender was beat the attacker is sitting point-blank in the goal box with a 3rd defender attempting to defend the far post area. The strike was almost perfect, between the window of the 3rd defender and the keeper's reach.

Also note the 2nd attacker on the far post that could have taken an easy shot if the GK bites too early, assuming attacker 1 can pass through defender 3.

Agree up to your third sentence. Correct choice is to hold until 2nd defender beat...I'd maybe be a little more angled towards the corner to cut off the cut back cross but all good until then.

But after that 2nd defender is beat, here's where futsal keeping and the new thinking coming out to Europe is instructive. It's too close for a reaction save but it's not quite point-blank range. The 3rd defender has properly covered the far post. In futsal, the standard maneuver is to rush out and body block the shot in this situation....it's close enough that the percentage of blocking that with a body block is better than sitting on the line where the keeper is surely going to be beat by a striker that can hit it on target since the keeper has no reaction time. If you apply futsal principles here, it really is quite standard: breakaway in the goalbox almost always come out.

I overlooked the 2nd attacker on the far post though. Fair point. I still like the odds of the attacker shooting better than the attacker properly laying off the pass, it not being intercepted by the far post defender, the 2nd attacker controlling that pass, and then shooting on target.

couple thoughts: I can't believe how long he maintained possession, had the ball for an amazing amount of time. You don't see that as much in the girl's game. Also, I'm surprised that more strikers don't take the approach of cutting across the field, a lot of times you can take advantage of the defender's switching to find a crease or lane (it always works in basketball - lol). And lastly, I know the striker beat two defenders, but I think the GK would acknowledge that it wasn't their best effort. I am the parent of a GK, I understand lack of response-time, but I think not coming out, not doing a better job of making themselves big, was a big part of this resulting in a goal.

couple thoughts: I can't believe how long he maintained possession, had the ball for an amazing amount of time. You don't see that as much in the girl's game. Also, I'm surprised that more strikers don't take the approach of cutting across the field, a lot of times you can take advantage of the defender's switching to find a crease or lane (it always works in basketball - lol). And lastly, I know the striker beat two defenders, but I think the GK would acknowledge that it wasn't their best effort. I am the parent of a GK, I understand lack of response-time, but I think not coming out, not doing a better job of making themselves big, was a big part of this resulting in a goal.

It is barely discernible in the video, but the blue team had everyone up at the halfway line on the corner kick formation, so the defenders were backtracking during most of the run. Also, note that the shooter used both feet while dribbling the ball up before cutting the ball back twice with his right foot and shooting with his left.

It is barely discernible in the video, but the blue team had everyone up at the halfway line on the corner kick formation, so the defenders were backtracking during most of the run. Also, note that the shooter used both feet while dribbling the ball up before cutting the ball back twice with his right foot and shooting with his left.
When I used to coach a long time ago I would ask players, "How many feet do you have?" Some seem to thing they only have one.

Did he depart Vaqueros for SDSC March 2019?
No the PHS coach has been with SDSC for several years. I have refereed his SDSC teams several times. Espola and his sons were involved with PHS soccer for numerous years. He was the old guy in the press box with his old heater.

Karma got me tonight in my HS game. Was telling my partner how I had not issued any cards so far (11 games) this high school season. Ended up having to issue a red card (2 cautions) In tonight’s game. Asked the head coach of one team to please stop his two assistant coaches from yelling at the referee crew, and the coach made the two assistants leave the stadium.

No the PHS coach has been with SDSC for several years. I have refereed his SDSC teams several times. Espola and his sons were involved with PHS soccer for numerous years. He was the old guy in the press box with his old heater.

The heater disappeared when I left it in the press box after the last game of the league season one year when I thought we were going to have a home playoff game and we didn't. Next year it was gone. Maybe that's how I got my recurring bronchitis.

The Anaheim HS soph/frosh boys team did a great job of possession and building from the back in the game I worked this afternoon.

Back