Build out line- best part of the new changes

Totally disagree. The "no-punt" rule means that no team ever has to defend against a long ball. Very few players at the youngest ages - especially girls - can throw the ball more than about 15 yards in the air. So coaches just push their players up to the restriction line, have them track the keeper left and right, and then swarm the first player to get the ball. I would say that most goals I've seen under the new rule come as a result of a team's inability to get the ball out of the back when swarmed.

When keepers could punt, it forced the opposition to hold players in the back and midfield. Teams who worked on building out had a fair chance of doing it because opponents were more equally distributed over the entire field.

Who has benefits from the restriction line? Coaches who have fast, aggressive player who will swarm.

Who is punished? Coaches who have always trained kids to build-out, because their inability to punt means that they can no longer keep the opposition honest.

The part your missing is its not about winning or losing games at 9 years old. Because teams are forced to play out of the back it makes kids learn that option as part of their development. If they were allowed to just continue punting that would forever be their only and or main option. You can already see the difference when after league was over and they were allowed to punt again. Keepers give a few punts to start, gets everyone honest and spread out then can start to mix it up with playing out of the backfield. Which at the end of the day is the better option at any level. Thats the real intent of the rule. Not for the games today but for the games tomorrow. Sorry, It's not even a close argument.

if it is so detrimental to development of players why isn't it banned or rules put in place to make it not possible
Isn't that what this discussion is about...the US Soccer mandated build out line rules?

It is like telling a basket ball team, "Yeah you won, but you don't do free throws well"
Probably more accurate analogy is telling a basketball team "Yeah you lost, and it's because you guys were feeding the ball to your big man on every play". Defending against a team that plays long balls to a good/big/fast forward is relatively easy. Defending against a team that plays possession well is a nightmare.

The part your missing is its not about winning or losing games at 9 years old. Because teams are forced to play out of the back it makes kids learn that option as part of their development. If they were allowed to just continue punting that would forever be their only and or main option. You can already see the difference when after league was over and they were allowed to punt again. Keepers give a few punts to start, gets everyone honest and spread out then can start to mix it up with playing out of the backfield. Which at the end of the day is the better option at any level. Thats the real intent of the rule. Not for the games today but for the games tomorrow. Sorry, It's not even a close argument.

Nonsense. Just need better coaching, not ballet practice.

Isn't that what this discussion is about...the US Soccer mandated build out line rules?

Probably more accurate analogy is telling a basketball team "Yeah you lost, and it's because you guys were feeding the ball to your big man on every play". Defending against a team that plays long balls to a good/big/fast forward is relatively easy. Defending against a team that plays possession well is a nightmare.
If it did not work or people were losing every time they did it nobody would do it. It is simply a style of play that does work many times.

If it did not work or people were losing every time they did it nobody would do it. It is simply a style of play that does work many times.
Teams that only play long ball do it because that is the only way they know how to play.

Possession soccer does not mean you never play a long ball. There are situations where a long ball is a good decision. But teams should work to possess the ball and find good opportunities to make the through pass/cross/long ball. A team that is always booting the ball down the field is a sign of bad coaching.

You can already see the difference when after league was over and they were allowed to punt again. Keepers give a few punts to start, gets everyone honest and spread out then can start to mix it up with playing out of the backfield.

I agree that giving some punts and some build-outs is the best way to play. But the restriction line is inimical to that best way of playing, because your team is never allowed to punt. Good coaches should train their players to build out of the back, but they should not be denied the ability to use punting as an alternative.

The real problem here is that you believe in a rule which limits opportunities.

Teams that only play long ball do it because that is the only way they know how to play.

Possession soccer does not mean you never play a long ball. There are situations where a long ball is a good decision. But teams should work to possess the ball and find good opportunities to make the through pass/cross/long ball. A team that is always booting the ball down the field is a sign of bad coaching.
I agree that it shouldn't be used all the time, but I also think that it shouldn't be discouraged either. When one of my daughters played keeper she had a big leg. She was able to put the ball in the other half easily and the sweeper that the team had was also a big kicker. The coach would utilize that to get some effective attacks early in the game, get ahead many times and then play the possession game to prevent the other team from scoring and catching up. Additionally toward the end of a game that long clear made the other team who wanted to build from the back work and ate up the clock.....

I agree that giving some punts and some build-outs is the best way to play. But the restriction line is inimical to that best way of playing, because your team is never allowed to punt. Good coaches should train their players to build out of the back, but they should not be denied the ability to use punting as an alternative.

The real problem here is that you believe in a rule which limits opportunities.
How has your DD's team adjusted to the rule? Our first year under this Rule was successful is helping reinforce what the coach was already training them to do, huild out of the back. When switching to State Cup where this rule was not in place, we utilized punts very rarely.

The only opportunity they would miss out on is to boot one over the top in the case a team was pressing hard. If your about winning than yes, it limits your opportunities. otherwise it's more developmentally focused. I hated it at first, but came around as the season progressed.

Everyone says good coaching handles the buildout line on its own. Apparently you have a lot more faith in the coaching that's out there than I do. I live in reality where I watch coach after coach care about winning at age 10 and use the word devolopmemt like it's going outta style. Then again maybe it is going outta style....

Everyone says good coaching handles the buildout line on its own. Apparently you have a lot more faith in the coaching that's out there than I do. I live in reality where I watch coach after coach care about winning at age 10 and use the word devolopmemt like it's going outta style. Then again maybe it is going outta style....

Agree re: good coaching. My dd's coach from u10-u12 didn't allow defenders to punt. Like ever. The rationale was to force the defenders to learn to handle the ball in and around the 18 calmly while under pressure and also to force them to look for other options other than punting or kicking it out. Coach figured they could learn to punt later on and prioritized teaching them to make accurate passes under pressure because there's just not enough time to teach everything. Drove parents nuts and gave up a ton of goals.

But..... my kid is now cool as a cucumber defending in the box and doesn't panic. Few coaches are willing to sacrifice winning to teach that kind of thing. Not saying his approach was the best, but it worked well in my kid's case.

Agree re: good coaching. My dd's coach from u10-u12 didn't allow defenders to punt. Like ever. The rationale was to force the defenders to learn to handle the ball in and around the 18 calmly while under pressure and also to force them to look for other options other than punting or kicking it out. Coach figured they could learn to punt later on and prioritized teaching them to make accurate passes under pressure because there's just not enough time to teach everything. Drove parents nuts and gave up a ton of goals.

But..... my kid is now cool as a cucumber defending in the box and doesn't panic. Few coaches are willing to sacrifice winning to teach that kind of thing. Not saying his approach was the best, but it worked well in my kid's case.

I just note that as a defender your DD (unless she also plays GK) be rarely called to punt later in her career. GK, by contrast, will be. And it's takes them a while to pick up the technique. Most U7s will flub the punt at least 50% of the time. By U8 they can usually get it on the foot but it's just as likely to go to ground or up straight since kids have a problem angling the foot correctly. To do it correctly, many will have to drop kick it (on our U8 Extras team, only DS and his fellow keeper could do it without a drop...I'd be open to allowing the punt but forbidding the drop kick at U8). By U10 most kids that are comfortable in goal will be able to boot it without dropping it but few with precision. Having a DS that's a goalkeeper, it can be nerve racking because a flubbed punt during the game in front of all those people is easy to get you laughed at. Kids in this age group are still developing aim, power, or control over the punt so it doesn't bounce uncontrollably when it hits the ground. Like any skill, punting is one that takes time to develop.

I just note that as a defender your DD (unless she also plays GK) be rarely called to punt later in her career. GK, by contrast, will be. And it's takes them a while to pick up the technique. Most U7s will flub the punt at least 50% of the time. By U8 they can usually get it on the foot but it's just as likely to go to ground or up straight since kids have a problem angling the foot correctly. To do it correctly, many will have to drop kick it (on our U8 Extras team, only DS and his fellow keeper could do it without a drop...I'd be open to allowing the punt but forbidding the drop kick at U8). By U10 most kids that are comfortable in goal will be able to boot it without dropping it but few with precision. Having a DS that's a goalkeeper, it can be nerve racking because a flubbed punt during the game in front of all those people is easy to get you laughed at. Kids in this age group are still developing aim, power, or control over the punt so it doesn't bounce uncontrollably when it hits the ground. Like any skill, punting is one that takes time to develop.

Agree. For keepers, punting is essential. I think I've seen far too few young keepers though being taught to play the ball on the ground and/or roll it out, let alone learn to have defenders play the ball back to them to relieve pressure. Those that try to make the transition later on to learning to pass accurately as olders seem to struggle. Just what I've observed. Really they should be learning both..... passing & punting.

Agree. For keepers, punting is essential. I think I've seen far too few young keepers though being taught to play the ball on the ground and/or roll it out, let alone learn to have defenders play the ball back to them to relieve pressure. Those that try to make the transition later on to learning to pass accurately as olders seem to struggle. Just what I've observed. Really they should be learning both..... passing & punting.

Agree, but finding that balance is also a skill that GKs between U10-12 should be learning (and won't if they are too busy at U10 learning just how to do the punt accurately). On our team, for example, the coach is very focused with building out the back. DS sometimes though goes with a roll or throw too often...he's scared he'll flub the punt even though he's getting pretty accurate and powerful with it and just needs confidence. Keeper 2 goes to the punt way too often and with far too big of a leg...he's probably worried if the defender flubs the possession he'll be back under attack. They should be choosing to do it based on the game situation and whether the pressure is on the back third...instead they are doing what is easiest for them. One other possible compromise is to do what WVSL does, IIRC...forbid the punt in spring, but allow it in fall.

Back