Boys: CSL Premier vs ECNL Boys vs MLS Next

OC Surf or TFA OC? My understanding is that OC Surf went back to being WCC. OC Surf 07 was not very competitive in DA. TFA OC won Surf Cup.

SD Surf 07 added a kid (#5) for Dallas Cup that was clearly the best player on its team...IMO. Rumor is the kid will be joining the team in a few months.
oh yeah, you right, I meant TFA OC. That was the Newport Mesa Striker team. Yeah, OC Surf DA was mid-table.

RedDevilDad, you always have a great, broad view across SoCal soccer on the boys side. Since you mentioned it, who would your top 5 boys teams be at the 07 age group in Socal? And any other age you have insight on? Thanks in advance.
Ok, I will bite on the 07s.

hmmm.. interesting and subjective and just my opinion based on who I've seen... so all you parents who got a private trainer telling you that your kid is the next Messi... be nice. haha.

I'm not a MLS Next Only guy. In fact, I've posted about not playing in that league. However, (and as a US soccer fan, there should be), there is a definite quality difference of the TEAMS at LAFC and LAG. Sure, there are individual players on teams that are good enough to be on LAFC or LAG. But there are not 20 of them on one team... not even 6 of them on one team. The physicality, technique and tactical awareness of those two teams is significantly better than any I've seen in their age group. Sorry. Again, talking teams, not individual players. I think Diego (#9 or#7?) at SDSC is one of the best strikers in SoCal but isn't on an MLS team. I think Cam Toth at Arsenal's ECNL 06 is one of the top 07 GKs but at an ECNL team playing up. I think Anaheim FC has some ringers. So.. I could pick players from a multiplicity of teams, give them a world class coach, no fees, free Adidas gear and train together for several months then beat LAFC or LAG sure.

07s
1. LAFC. Class upgraded. Unrelenting press with the talent to make you pay for a turnover. Balance of flair players who make you say, "what just happened" and some bullies on the pitch that will run over and through you if you get too tight. Added a kid from LAUFA's 05s that is a very strong striker. Give him something to run on to and he's going to get the ball into the box. Got a 6 and a back four of men among boys and picked up a over 6 foot goalkeeper who is a vocal leader.. to challenge their starting very-good-ball-playing goalkeeper who can fly so they're hard to score on if they do turn it over.

2. LAG: Flair for days. This team likes to score but will do with class. Their bench is still the best on the field but noticed when starters rotate out. Harbor Miller is something else. Blink and your man is gone. LAG passes and moves well. Last year's team was not up to their standard and they have improved. Haven't settled on who all exactly left and where they recruited from but are definitely better. Wish that LAG had hosted LAFC on 4/2 but that game has been pushed back.

Gap.

3. SD Surf. Last time they played LAFC at Man City 2019 in the semis.... 7-0 LAFC. Yeah, for Dallas they picked up Kyrome Lumsden (#5) from LAFC. Don't know if he's staying but see waffly's post above about being their best and refer then to my comment above about the gap. If your goal is college at 18, not USL/pro... this is the team to be on. Or, if you attend a great high school program and are a truly top player but want to play high school... drive to SD. The team has holes in some positions so I think they can strengthen a very good team. Araux may disagree with watfly on who was the best SD Surf player. Good striker, beast in the Rebels game. Why is everyone named Max on this team? hahaha.

4. TFA. Again, class team that is strengthening by picking up players cast off or leaving LAG and LAFC. LAG had a big turnover of players at the start of the pandemic. TFA benefited.

5. Curious if #5 is Strikers or LAUFA. Strikers... hard to bet against Willie Diaz in SoCal soccer. Give him another year, one or two more players and a good team will be a great team. Ironically for an OC team, they feel very blue-collar, work hard kind of team. I think Willie can instill the flair combined with their hard work and that's a good team. Slowly... very talented unhappy-elsewhere kids will drift to Willie for redemption.
LAUFA got raided by the MLS teams but still is a very good and physical team. Started out 3-0 in their league then got buzz-sawed by Galaxy this week.

Honorable Mentions:
LA Surf probably deserves a mention before TFA OC since they beat them 1-0 earlier in the year. [That Jan tournament results were confusing so I could be wrong on the score... which one was TFA and which was TFA OC online but I stand by my opinion that TFA Mothership is stronger than TFA OC Gomez's team.] But, LA Surf just lost to LAFC 7-1 and big to LAG so would like to see them against TFA or LAUFA. Curious how they did against Ventura. If they won by 3 goals, I will be nod quietly in affirmation. lol.

TFA OC: I don't know if TFA OC can handle the physicality of a LUAFA team. TFA OC is a team to pay attention to though... they have a chip on their shoulder and are fanatical about being on that team. Giving a decent team a motivation to punch you in the face is not a good idea... I probably think they may be better than the LA Surf team but their also playing in the CRL now into the EAL... while LA Surf is in the MLS Next. I would rate the MLS Next and ECNL over the EAL. EAL you're seeing everyone's second team. So, 7-0 against City SC or 8-0 against Arsenal's RL team in Utah can be a bit deceiving. Sure, they won Surf Cup 2020 in December but I also don't want to give Liverpool the league title earned during a pandemic.

SDSC: No team to sleep on pre-pandemic. Definitely a top 3 team in San Diego. Again, Diego is a special player to watch. His movement and clinical finishing will punish the inevitable mistakes that 13 year old defenders will make. I thought their coach melted down a bit and didn't have solutions when Diego gets man-marked out of a game though.

Question Marks
Pats? Why aren't you being mentioned? I almost feel guilty for not mentioning them.
FCGS: Jimmy leaving cost them players.. granted they are playing hard ball and not releasing players... making 12 and 13 year olds sit for an entire season to punish them for leaving. Lame.
Legends: Lost players to David Oh's SoCal Elite team which has been oddly quiet considering their quality on that team.
Arsenal: I'm still confused with the new Sporting stuff.

I follow some 06s and will just say that the LA Surf 06 team with Hector is a ridiculously good team. Granted it helps that his son left LAG and has talented friends who listen to a sharp coach.

I coach both teams, just to help you differ from the 2..

TFA OC EA = EAL Team, National Cup final 4 before pandemic canceled, Surf Cup Champs and Dallas Cup participant, former Strikers Newport Mesa

TFA OC Gomez= CSL Gold, newer team made of mostly Boca OC/AC Brea and Strikers NM players not on EAL team.

TFA OC Gomez lost to LA Surf MLS 1-0 earlier this year at Natives Cup, TFA OC EA then proceeded to beat LA Surf MLS in the finals Of same tournament 4-1.

Interesting take on the rankings, I’m just glad we are finally back on the field. Hope everyone is having a great start to their season.

hmmm.. interesting and subjective and just my opinion based on who I've seen... so all you parents who got a private trainer telling you that your kid is the next Messi... be nice. haha.

I'm not a MLS Next Only guy. In fact, I've posted about not playing in that league. However, (and as a US soccer fan, there should be), there is a definite quality difference of the TEAMS at LAFC and LAG. Sure, there are individual players on teams that are good enough to be on LAFC or LAG. But there are not 20 of them on one team... not even 6 of them on one team. The physicality, technique and tactical awareness of those two teams is significantly better than any I've seen in their age group. Sorry. Again, talking teams, not individual players. I think Diego (#9 or#7?) at SDSC is one of the best strikers in SoCal but isn't on an MLS team. I think Cam Toth at Arsenal's ECNL 06 is one of the top 07 GKs but at an ECNL team playing up. I think Anaheim FC has some ringers. So.. I could pick players from a multiplicity of teams, give them a world class coach, no fees, free Adidas gear and train together for several months then beat LAFC or LAG sure.

07s
1. LAFC. Class upgraded. Unrelenting press with the talent to make you pay for a turnover. Balance of flair players who make you say, "what just happened" and some bullies on the pitch that will run over and through you if you get too tight. Added a kid from LAUFA's 05s that is a very strong striker. Give him something to run on to and he's going to get the ball into the box. Got a 6 and a back four of men among boys and picked up a over 6 foot goalkeeper who is a vocal leader.. to challenge their starting very-good-ball-playing goalkeeper who can fly so they're hard to score on if they do turn it over.

2. LAG: Flair for days. This team likes to score but will do with class. Their bench is still the best on the field but noticed when starters rotate out. Harbor Miller is something else. Blink and your man is gone. LAG passes and moves well. Last year's team was not up to their standard and they have improved. Haven't settled on who all exactly left and where they recruited from but are definitely better. Wish that LAG had hosted LAFC on 4/2 but that game has been pushed back.

Gap.

3. SD Surf. Last time they played LAFC at Man City 2019 in the semis.... 7-0 LAFC. Yeah, for Dallas they picked up Kyrome Lumsden (#5) from LAFC. Don't know if he's staying but see waffly's post above about being their best and refer then to my comment above about the gap. If your goal is college at 18, not USL/pro... this is the team to be on. Or, if you attend a great high school program and are a truly top player but want to play high school... drive to SD. The team has holes in some positions so I think they can strengthen a very good team. Araux may disagree with watfly on who was the best SD Surf player. Good striker, beast in the Rebels game. Why is everyone named Max on this team? hahaha.

4. TFA. Again, class team that is strengthening by picking up players cast off or leaving LAG and LAFC. LAG had a big turnover of players at the start of the pandemic. TFA benefited.

5. Curious if #5 is Strikers or LAUFA. Strikers... hard to bet against Willie Diaz in SoCal soccer. Give him another year, one or two more players and a good team will be a great team. Ironically for an OC team, they feel very blue-collar, work hard kind of team. I think Willie can instill the flair combined with their hard work and that's a good team. Slowly... very talented unhappy-elsewhere kids will drift to Willie for redemption.
LAUFA got raided by the MLS teams but still is a very good and physical team. Started out 3-0 in their league then got buzz-sawed by Galaxy this week.

Honorable Mentions:
LA Surf probably deserves a mention before TFA OC since they beat them 1-0 earlier in the year. [That Jan tournament results were confusing so I could be wrong on the score... which one was TFA and which was TFA OC online but I stand by my opinion that TFA Mothership is stronger than TFA OC Gomez's team.] But, LA Surf just lost to LAFC 7-1 and big to LAG so would like to see them against TFA or LAUFA. Curious how they did against Ventura. If they won by 3 goals, I will be nod quietly in affirmation. lol.

TFA OC: I don't know if TFA OC can handle the physicality of a LUAFA team. TFA OC is a team to pay attention to though... they have a chip on their shoulder and are fanatical about being on that team. Giving a decent team a motivation to punch you in the face is not a good idea... I probably think they may be better than the LA Surf team but their also playing in the CRL now into the EAL... while LA Surf is in the MLS Next. I would rate the MLS Next and ECNL over the EAL. EAL you're seeing everyone's second team. So, 7-0 against City SC or 8-0 against Arsenal's RL team in Utah can be a bit deceiving. Sure, they won Surf Cup 2020 in December but I also don't want to give Liverpool the league title earned during a pandemic.

SDSC: No team to sleep on pre-pandemic. Definitely a top 3 team in San Diego. Again, Diego is a special player to watch. His movement and clinical finishing will punish the inevitable mistakes that 13 year old defenders will make. I thought their coach melted down a bit and didn't have solutions when Diego gets man-marked out of a game though.

Question Marks
Pats? Why aren't you being mentioned? I almost feel guilty for not mentioning them.
FCGS: Jimmy leaving cost them players.. granted they are playing hard ball and not releasing players... making 12 and 13 year olds sit for an entire season to punish them for leaving. Lame.
Legends: Lost players to David Oh's SoCal Elite team which has been oddly quiet considering their quality on that team.

I follow some 06s and will just say that the LA Surf 06 team with Hector is a ridiculously good team. Granted it helps that his son left LAG and has talented friends who listen to a sharp coach.

07s

Gap.

Honorable Mentions:

Question Marks

Based on the rumors I'm hearing, I expect a few kids from San Diego to move to MLS Academy teams (not named LAFC or LAG) in the near future.

I coach both teams, just to help you differ from the 2..
Interesting take on the rankings, I’m just glad we are finally back on the field. Hope everyone is having a great start to their season.
Classy response. Results say the guy can coach. Reasonable enough to answer an online troll politely. I stand by my prediction... Don’t sleep on Gomez and his teams.

Is it true the 07 LAG team is 30 plus on the roster, due to 08 being disbanded? I heard this from two credible sources, kinda doesn't make sense to care a squad that large.

I have noticed that rosters have been a lot more fluid than normal this spring, at least on the Boys side, and that will interfere with any attempt to compare leagues. I'm not talking about movement from last year to this year or from last fall to this spring, but from week-to-week. I have seen players who have left Boys ECNL teams for MLS Next teams in different clubs, a week after playing an ECNL game. I have also seen Boys ECNL players who have shown up on CSL Premier or SCDSL Discovery rosters (in either the same or different clubs), possibly in a double rostering situation while their Boys ECNL teams are taking a break or playing irregularly during HS soccer season. I've even seen people move from one Boys ECNL club to another in the same month. Without most leagues being under the Cal South umbrella, roster freezes seem to be irrelevant. It seems to depend more on the club than the league as to whether the roster is remaining stable.

It's probable that this will settle down next year, especially if HS Soccer is back to it's normal spot in the calendar and players are prohibited from playing both by CIF. Nevertheless, the USYS - US Club divide will further enable this in-season, week-to-week, movement.

My son is one of those players who moved from an ECNL team to an MLS team at a different club; however, he was extremely lucky as he was kicked out of his former club because I reported instances of bullying and exclusion to the clubs director of soccer as I was required to do as a manager of a different team than my son played on.

As opposed to addressing the issue, the director of soccer thought it best to kick us out of the club and thus, effectively assuring my son wouldn’t be able to play soccer for the rest of the season as ECNL does have roster rules and you can not move or play for another ECNL team in the same season and he is still technically tied to the old clubs ECNL team until May 1. After playing for this club for five years, my advice to anyone is to stay far, far away as they clearly care only about the money and not about their players. What kind of club tries to prevent a 12 year old boy who is good enough to get picked up as a starter on an MLS team from playing an entire year of soccer after having survived through the mess of COVID and not playing?

Luckily, he immediately found a home on an MLS team that is not only a better fit, but a better team and the ECNL team he is rostered to is one of the top two teams in the Southwest in the U13 bracket, so he has played both and both great competition, but the MLS teams have been harder/better competition.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out come May 1 when ECNL players are free to move to other teams.

07s

Gap.

Honorable Mentions:

Question Marks

FCGS shouldn’t be under the Question Marks, they deserve their own category as it isn’t that they aren’t releasing players (Although that part is true, they aren’t removing the players from the rosters); however, they are kicking the players off the teams and/or club after they have collected all of the club dues for the year and THEN making 12 and 13 year olds sit for an entire season after they have already lost a season due to Covid.

LA Surf definitely deserves some honorable mention, I don’t have an 07, I have an 08 and it is probably the best team we have ever played on in terms of coaching, talent, chemistry of the players, and the parents are all incredibly supportive of one another and all of the players. Not to mention, the club as a whole seems to have their stuff together 100% more so than the club we just left.

David Oh’s SoCal Elite team will be quality as he is a great coach and he did do well at Dallas Cup. My son loves to play his tea,s as he knows they will be great games.

RedDevilDad, you always have a great, broad view across SoCal soccer on the boys side. Since you mentioned it, who would your top 5 boys teams be at the 07 age group in Socal? And any other age you have insight on? Thanks in advance.

RedDevilDad, I am going to piggy back off of Ed Ho and I would love any insight you have on the 08 age group in SoCal

RedDevilDad, I am going to piggy back off of Ed Ho and I would love any insight you have on the 08 age group in SoCal

No way. 08 parents are crazy. Someone will find me and cut me. At least by 13 most of the 07 parents realize their kids are weirdos, won't be pro and are really looking forward to a fun high school career minus the club drama. 8th grade... we begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel of club soccer. haha. 08 parents.. they still drink the kool-aid that Real Madrid is coming for the kid who has personal best of 6 juggles with his knee!

LA Surf definitely deserves some honorable mention, I don’t have an 07, I have an 08 and it is probably the best team we have ever played on in terms of coaching, talent, chemistry of the players, and the parents are all incredibly supportive of one another and all of the players. Not to mention, the club as a whole seems to have their stuff together 100% more so than the club we just left.

David Oh’s SoCal Elite team will be quality as he is a great coach and he did do well at Dallas Cup. My son loves to play his tea,s as he knows they will be great games.

I was referring to LA Surf's 07 team. Good team, sure, but they have not faired well against LAG or LAFC and drew teams that others are putting up 6-9 goals on. They have had a tougher start to their season, granted. Injuries and playing both MLS academies as games 2 and 3.
Meanwhile, LAUFA started with 3 wins and hung with LAG for a while before they eventually withered. TFA hasn't played LAG or LAFC yet but is coming close to replicating scores against same opponents.

David Oh is a great recruiter and makes 7s into 9s (on a 1-10 scale). I have also seen players end up with him as their third or fourth team on route to their 5th and 6th team. His 07 team has a ton of talented players off that Legends DA team but I wonder if they will get tired of winning 20-0 against weaker opponents in a weaker league... It will be interesting to watch what comes of those players. Quality there for sure though.

David Oh's 08 or 09 team is one of the top in the nation, but again... I see the potential for them to be raided eventually.

No way. 08 parents are crazy. Someone will find me and cut me. At least by 13 most of the 07 parents realize their kids are weirdos, won't be pro and are really looking forward to a fun high school career minus the club drama. 8th grade... we begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel of club soccer. haha. 08 parents.. they still drink the kool-aid that Real Madrid is coming for the kid who has personal best of 6 juggles with his knee!

I was referring to LA Surf's 07 team. Good team, sure, but they have not faired well against LAG or LAFC and drew teams that others are putting up 6-9 goals on. They have had a tougher start to their season, granted. Injuries and playing both MLS academies as games 2 and 3.
Meanwhile, LAUFA started with 3 wins and hung with LAG for a while before they eventually withered. TFA hasn't played LAG or LAFC yet but is coming close to replicating scores against same opponents.

David Oh is a great recruiter and makes 7s into 9s (on a 1-10 scale). I have also seen players end up with him as their third or fourth team on route to their 5th and 6th team. His 07 team has a ton of talented players off that Legends DA team but I wonder if they will get tired of winning 20-0 against weaker opponents in a weaker league... It will be interesting to watch what comes of those players. Quality there for sure though.

David Oh's 08 or 09 team is one of the top in the nation, but again... I see the potential for them to be raided eventually.
Can I bite on the 07’s I keeping hearing LASurf , are you surf your talking about the right team , from what I’ve seen on ECNL/RL and in games their not doing well at all? Even Arizona teams have given them a run for their money and beat them.

As for DO, his 08 team didn’t even win their bracket in Dallas and got by with a wild card , to say his team is great is a stretch.....he can definitely market himself and his club , but anyone can play in Sunday league tournaments weekend after weekend and buck the excel formula of rankings . More power to him, never been a fan of him and his bullshit antics but thats probably why a handful of talent from that area drives to Irvine...he caters to the parents that just cares about the W and that W at all cost includes injuring players, and cheating with players cards but that’s a different topic ..it’s always a pleasure beating his team!

For the 04-08’s , we’ll see what happens at Man City Cup. A few age groups are going to be stacked this year!!!!

That’s the temp gauge for who’s what and where in the So Cal Team landscape for now.

As for LA Surf I’m still confused as where your getting your info unless there’s multiple 07 teams? ECNL/Rl?
I would list
La surf, la breakers, west coast, legends, arsenal ,real so cal and all AZ and the bottom of the pool for 07/08 boys

Can I bite on the 07’s I keeping hearing LASurf , are you surf your talking about the right team , from what I’ve seen on ECNL/RL and in games their not doing well at all? Even Arizona teams have given them a run for their money and beat them.

As for DO, his 08 team didn’t even win their bracket in Dallas and got by with a wild card , to say his team is great is a stretch.....he can definitely market himself and his club , but anyone can play in Sunday league tournaments weekend after weekend and buck the excel formula of rankings . More power to him, never been a fan of him and his bullshit antics but thats probably why a handful of talent from that area drives to Irvine...he caters to the parents that just cares about the W and that W at all cost includes injuring players, and cheating with players cards but that’s a different topic ..it’s always a pleasure beating his team!

For the 04-08’s , we’ll see what happens at Man City Cup. A few age groups are going to be stacked this year!!!!

That’s the temp gauge for who’s what and where in the So Cal Team landscape for now.

As for LA Surf I’m still confused as where your getting your info unless there’s multiple 07 teams? ECNL/Rl?
I would list
La surf, la breakers, west coast, legends, arsenal ,real so cal and all AZ and the bottom of the pool for 07/08 boys

I think he’s referring to MLS Next teams only. LA Surf also has ECNL/ECRL boys teams, but they are at best 2 or 3rd teams in that club (and in some cases lower and even operated by affiliate clubs).

Ok gotcha
I think he’s referring to MLS Next teams only. LA Surf also has ECNL/ECRL boys teams, but they are at best 2 or 3rd teams in that club (and in some cases lower and even operated by affiliate clubs).
i was gonna say what I saw against some local teams this weekend I would say their flight 2 teams at best

Ok gotcha

i was gonna say what I saw against some local teams this weekend I would say their flight 2 teams at best
My $0.02 is that LA Surf is spread too thin having MLS Next, ECNL and ECRL. Their MLS Next teams are competitive, but (often) the ECNL/RL aren't because any great kids who show up get moved up. The exception is when they've moved an entire team into the EC...L and it stays together.

David Oh is mediocre at best for coaching, really good at training, and excellent at hustling...I mean recruiting. He doesn't have the experience or license to coach teams past the 10 yr old mark.
His 08's are legit for now, but he won't be able to keep them at the top the older they get.
His 07's are a joke, playing AYSO teams in watered-down tournaments.
I do give him credit though, he keeps expanding his club with flight 3 teams. I'm not sure if he even cares, as long as their fees are paid.

I
We agree.
I was politely saying that LA Surf team was not in my top 5 2007 teams. I am referring to their MLS Next 07 team. That, IMO, is easily their top 07 team.
Not a bad team and some talented kids, I just don’t rank them above the teams I mentioned.

my ranking and $2.65 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks...

Back