Boys: CSL Premier vs ECNL Boys vs MLS Next

I think he’s referring to MLS Next teams only. LA Surf also has ECNL/ECRL boys teams, but they are at best 2 or 3rd teams in that club (and in some cases lower and even operated by affiliate clubs).
For LA Surf, correct.
SD Surf and Strikers top teams are ECNL.

My $0.02 is that LA Surf is spread too thin having MLS Next, ECNL and ECRL. Their MLS Next teams are competitive, but (often) the ECNL/RL aren't because any great kids who show up get moved up. The exception is when they've moved an entire team into the EC...L and it stays together.

I hear Sporting California Arsenal Futbol Club of Los Angeles America United States is also trying to go ECNL, RL, DPL and join the MLS Next.

For LA Surf, correct.
SD Surf and Strikers top teams are ECNL.

Agree to a degree with this. I am not too keen on the 07s, but LA Surf MLS Next 06 is a really good team. ECNL and ECRL 06's very watered down due to so much talent at the top team. My son is on the 05 ECRL, and its a good team, just lots of injuries and HS right now. For being the "3rd team" in the 05 ranks at LA Surf, they are very good when all together. The 05 MLS Next is good, but not at the level they will face in MLS Next competition. We have scrimmaged them and while competitive, they weren't as good as the 06 MLS Next team in my opinion. The 05 ECNL is also a very good team but unfortunately has the same issues my sons ECRL team is going through....injuries, HS, and bad timing. Just my 2 cents from the inside view.

Agree to a degree with this. I am not too keen on the 07s, but LA Surf MLS Next 06 is a really good team. ECNL and ECRL 06's very watered down due to so much talent at the top team. My son is on the 05 ECRL, and its a good team, just lots of injuries and HS right now. For being the "3rd team" in the 05 ranks at LA Surf, they are very good when all together. The 05 MLS Next is good, but not at the level they will face in MLS Next competition. We have scrimmaged them and while competitive, they weren't as good as the 06 MLS Next team in my opinion. The 05 ECNL is also a very good team but unfortunately has the same issues my sons ECRL team is going through....injuries, HS, and bad timing. Just my 2 cents from the inside view.

Agree to read the whole thread. Haha
I literally said, the only 06 team I’ll mention was Hector’s LA Surf team. Haha.

Agree to read the whole thread. Haha
I literally said, the only 06 team I’ll mention was Hector’s LA Surf team. Haha.
Ok. More time now... yeah, Hector’s team is a very good team. His son is talented and Hector is a good coach. That team will surprise some teams until everyone figured out that they’re legit.

How about Elite Academy teams? Where does it stands among the ECNL and MLS Next teams?

I have seen a couple games and i think those teams are less than ECRL squads. Pecking order for sure is MLS Next > ECNL/CSL Premier > ECRL . some of the ECRL teams can definitely compete with the ECNL/CSL Premier, and although a bit watered down, some top SCDSL Discovery Division teams are at the ECNL/CSL Premier level as well. EA may be more close to SCDSL Flight 1/CSL Gold

I have seen a couple games and i think those teams are less than ECRL squads. Pecking order for sure is MLS Next > ECNL/CSL Premier > ECRL . some of the ECRL teams can definitely compete with the ECNL/CSL Premier, and although a bit watered down, some top SCDSL Discovery Division teams are at the ECNL/CSL Premier level as well. EA may be more close to SCDSL Flight 1/CSL Gold

IMO (without considering the one-off/why is their 06 team so much better than every other team at their club... kind of team):
Like, as been said, LA Surf's 06 teams is really good. RCFC's CSL 06 teams could also beat some teams... and so on.

1. MLS Next MLS Teams. Ex: LAFC/LAG

2a. MLS Next Teams without an ECNL Ex: TFA
2b. ECNL Only Teams. Ex: SD Surf
Average D1 or top D2 High School

3a. CSL Premier: Ex: Anaheim FC, Glendale something or other team...
3b. MLS Next Teams with an ENCL/RL in same age group. LA Surf

Average D2 or down High School.

4. SoCal (SCDSL) F1: RCFC, Celtic, Newcastle, Sand and Surf, and so on...

Average D4 or down High School

5. SCDSL D2, ENCL Teams with an MLS Next Team in the same age group: By now you got the point of examples.... haha.
6. NPL/ECRL/DPL/Flight 2... Just go have fun and don't worry about rank at this point.
7. Intercities La Liga playing 11 v11 on a 40X70 pitch with a goat on the sideline and half the pitch is a baseball diamond... 100% happened to us. Great food options but not good soccer.

Had a chance to watch the LA Surf team and there is some talent. He took the most of the players from FC Golden State and some were old LA Galaxy players so they will be better than most MLS Next teams that went from Flight 1/ECNL to "DA/MLS". They beat LAF 1-0 with a plan and lost to Galaxy 4-0. I think the Murrieta Surf game will be interesting since they seem to be on the same level.

Had a chance to watch the LA Surf team and there is some talent. He took the most of the players from FC Golden State and some were old LA Galaxy players so they will be better than most MLS Next teams that went from Flight 1/ECNL to "DA/MLS". They beat LAF 1-0 with a plan and lost to Galaxy 4-0. I think the Murrieta Surf game will be interesting since they seem to be on the same level.
Which Year LA Surf was that?

Back