Bladed cleats on turf

This is great info. Thanks. Need to re-assess the Nike Merc my daughter prefers.

If you daughter likes the Mercurials, you can get the Academy version ($110) from Nike.com and use NikeID to customize them. As part of the customization, you can pick the traction. If you select AG, you get a cleat with an all rounded stud pattern. You can also do a ton more customization which is fun. This will set you back $110 but you’ll have the Mercurial that you want. Here is a photo of the AG traction:

E563D05A-EBFD-4C8D-B8B3-1CCABED5C630.png

Is New Balance the only brand that makes them in "wide" width?
ASICS did at one time but I don't know if they still do. Those tended to have narrow heels however and for us required some creative stretching involving wood clamps.

My preference is for leather uppers and round studs.

My preference is for leather uppers and round studs.
I have not bought a pair of cleats in awhile. What is the current state of the ban on kangaroo leather in Cali?
If your kiddo has a wide foot, even with a wide shoe, I would still suggest leather over synthetic which provides a lot more give in the toe box.

I have not bought a pair of cleats in awhile. What is the current state of the ban on kangaroo leather in Cali?
If your kiddo has a wide foot, even with a wide shoe, I would still suggest leather over synthetic which provides a lot more give in the toe box.
The kangaroo ban is still in effect as far as I know. Regular old cowhide seems to stretch enough to mold to my players' feet though. Luckily some of the wide New Balance cleats fit well even with synthetic uppers. Unfortunately since the cleats are always changing models over time, we always need to try-on multiple styles when it is time for new cleats. Soccerloco used to carry a selection of New Balance cleats, not sure if they do. With one player in college that does not have time to get to Soccerloco, we have to order on-line now.

As mentioned on this thread there is a real risk of injury wearing a stud pattern that is too aggressive for the surface. Also, the major brands will typically void their warranty when boots are worn on surfaces that they are not designed for (if they can prove it).
Multi-Ground (MG) or Artificial-Ground (AG) cleats tend to have some small design elements that will make them more durable against the harsh surfaces that artificial grass offers.
The brands are doing our kids a disservice by offering a limited line of MG or AG options in the US, typically only available in the 2nd or 3rd take down models. The Nike Academy line is the only option in the brand at the moment offering MG options, and while they're not horrible, they're not the best quality either.
Nike does have a good warranty, for up to 2 years from manufacture date. I used it a few times and have parlayed a single pair of boots into three through their warranty program. Most of the premature wear has been sole separation.

Reactions: sdb
As mentioned on this thread there is a real risk of injury wearing a stud pattern that is too aggressive for the surface. Also, the major brands will typically void their warranty when boots are worn on surfaces that they are not designed for (if they can prove it).
Multi-Ground (MG) or Artificial-Ground (AG) cleats tend to have some small design elements that will make them more durable against the harsh surfaces that artificial grass offers.
The brands are doing our kids a disservice by offering a limited line of MG or AG options in the US, typically only available in the 2nd or 3rd take down models. The Nike Academy line is the only option in the brand at the moment offering MG options, and while they're not horrible, they're not the best quality either.
Nike does have a good warranty, for up to 2 years from manufacture date. I used it a few times and have parlayed a single pair of boots into three through their warranty program. Most of the premature wear has been sole separation.

Couldn’t agree more that the MG pattern is not the best but is better than many, and that it’s a shame AG isn’t offered on more models of Nikes out of the box. Like you I’ve also parlayed the warranty into new shoes or significant discounts, as Nike has always been pretty responsive to complaints. I think they know about their quality issues so don’t push back very much.

Following up on those comments about shoe separation-
Parents, please keep an eye on your kids shoes and replace immediately if they are falling apart.
And no- duct tape is not a good idea.

Following up on those comments about shoe separation-
Parents, please keep an eye on your kids shoes and replace immediately if they are falling apart.
And no- duct tape is not a good idea.
Electrical tape works much better, it has some stretch. When DD was going through a pair more than once/month, she kept a roll in her backpack just in case. I used it to get her through a game once. Just don't make it too tight. We drove straight to Soccerloco right after that game.

Electrical tape works much better, it has some stretch. When DD was going through a pair more than once/month, she kept a roll in her backpack just in case. I used it to get her through a game once. Just don't make it too tight. We drove straight to Soccerloco right after that game.

And colored electrical tape can be used on perfectly good cleats so that the best striker's feet show up well in a crowd.

Reposting this in a shoe-specific thread; sorry about the duplicate posts.

Article from The Athletic re: NFL and turf-related injuries. NFL also tested specific cleat patterns and ranked from best to worst in terms of releasing when loaded. You can compare these to soccer cleat patterns.

Attachments

• nfl_cleatposter_042519a.pdf
    271 KB · Views: 37
  • NFL Impact Turf.pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 25
-M27UyL0JHj0fhOwCbq3xCVqnaeAuiIGEkDzh0t3II0EFgVnmB8UFQld65p8XMpXICPyJQbSyhfUVjleNd7g0p2mmhUX8sw

Couldn’t agree more that the MG pattern is not the best but is better than many, and that it’s a shame AG isn’t offered on more models of Nikes out of the box. Like you I’ve also parlayed the warranty into new shoes or significant discounts, as Nike has always been pretty responsive to complaints. I think they know about their quality issues so don’t push back very much.
They have a great warranty, 2 years no matter where you buy them.
Nike Tiempos are great on turf and you can find them on EBay.

I will not let my DD play in bladed cleats on any surface. And when I buy any cleat with any pattern I take a grinder to them before she plays in them. I’d rather her slip than catch in the grass or turf. Nike has made a stud pattern called AG for artificial grass that I really like. Unfortunately it’s offered on only a few models or has to be done via NikeID. Adidas Copas are also rounded.
Addidas Copas are garbage and horrible for your feet. When my DD was 13 she was having foot, leg and back pain and our Doctor referred us to a podiatrist. The podiatrist had her bring in her cleats, Addidas Copas. He said to throw them out and gave us a list of recommended soccer cleats. He said the Copas are 30 years out of date, provide absolutely no support for the foot, and can cause foot, ankle, leg, hip and back pain. He said even with inserts they are not recommended since there are so many better choice.

They have a great warranty, 2 years no matter where you buy them.
Nike Tiempos are great on turf and you can find them on EBay.
My daughter has used Tiempos for years. Most of the college fields she played on were artificial turf and the Tiempos worked great. They also held up really well.

Nike Phantom Vision Elite in kids version have the MG pattern. They are wide, comfy and they are not takedowns.

They have been discontinued so there might be good deals online soon.

BTW, they are not lacesess, so don't freak out about that.
For players that actually need wide cleats, don't bother with Nike. New Balance makes the only somewhat readily available cleats in wide widths. Most of the cleats are shaped as polygons. I would prefer rounded studs, but you get what you get.

My daughter has used Tiempos for years. Most of the college fields she played on were artificial turf and the Tiempos worked great. They also held up really well.
Thanks for that - did she wear Firm Ground (FG) or Artificial Grass (AG) Tiempos on the artificial turf? It's so hard to find AG Tiempos. My daughter likes the Tiempos because of the rounded studs.

Back