Bladed cleats on turf

During an indoor game last night my daughter was playing left back. Offensive player was running at her full speed trying to prevent her from clearing a ball. The offensive player snapped her lower leg or ankle as she tried to block the ball. No contact between the players. Looked like her plant foot stuck to the turf and twisted.

Pretty sure the girl who got hurt was wearing bladed cleats playing on indoor turf. Not sure if that was a factor, but can’t imagine it’s a good idea to wear anything but turf shoes on turf. Anyone else forbid their kids from wearing blades on turf? I see it all the time here in the winter.

I will not let my DD play in bladed cleats on any surface. And when I buy any cleat with any pattern I take a grinder to them before she plays in them. I’d rather her slip than catch in the grass or turf. Nike has made a stud pattern called AG for artificial grass that I really like. Unfortunately it’s offered on only a few models or has to be done via NikeID. Adidas Copas are also rounded.

Nike and Adidas (and probably puma and all of the others) are doing a real disservice to the majority of youth soccer players with the cleat pattern that they have on 80% of their model. Bladed cleats are for the thick, manicured grass of the Premier league. Maybe some youth teams in more northern areas have similar grass. But I'm guessing they get pretty worn out from overuse like we get down here.
In So Cal, you are playing on one or more of the following:
Longer, newer Turf (Silverlakes turf fields)
Short, older turf (J Serra side fields)
Short Green Grass (Great Park nearly year round)
Longish green grass (San Bernardino is very playable)
Short brown grass (Galway in the winter)
Hard dirt with a little bit of grass (most middle school playground fields)

99% of your games will be played on a dry field.

No need for a bladed cleat for any of those surfaces.

Completely agree. My DD has firm ground "blade" cleats for grass and multi-ground cleats for turf. She likes the blade cleats better because they are lighter, so I end up buying two pair at every size jump. My unsupported perspective is that blade cleats - especially on turf - contribute to lower leg injuries.

Adidas Ace 15.1 Best stud pattern ever..on any surface. I don't know why they got rid of it. Copas are a distant second but still another good option. Good traction on any surface. No blades anywhere to be found on either of these boots. My .02

I don't know why there seems to be such resistance or ignorance of actual turf shoes (like Adidas Copa Mundial or Nike Tiempo TF). I've always worn Copa's on turf surfaces and never had any slipping issues or problems with getting caught in the turf (plus they are way more comfortable than cleats in general). When I talk to players about it, their response is usually "No, I need to wear cleats."

Like other posters have mentioned, the setup of cleats is not conducive to many of the turf or rock hard grass surfaces here in SoCal. IMO bladed cleats are the worst possible footwear (from an injury risk perspective) for turf and hard surfaces. Marketing and bullshit allows the big companies to sell these with seemingly little to no interest in the safety of players....but a lot of interest in $'s of course.

I don't know why there seems to be such resistance or ignorance of actual turf shoes (like Adidas Copa Mundial or Nike Tiempo TF). I've always worn Copa's on turf surfaces and never had any slipping issues or problems with getting caught in the turf (plus they are way more comfortable than cleats in general). When I talk to players about it, their response is usually "No, I need to wear cleats."

Like other posters have mentioned, the setup of cleats is not conducive to many of the turf or rock hard grass surfaces here in SoCal. IMO bladed cleats are the worst possible footwear (from an injury risk perspective) for turf and hard surfaces. Marketing and bullshit allows the big companies to sell these with seemingly little to no interest in the safety of players....but a lot of interest in $'s of course.
I wonder if there are any studies showing a connection between bladed cleats and ACL tears?

If a shoe company released a cleat with “proven to reduce acl injuries” they would fly off of the shelves.

Good info on this thread as I'm learning something new and useful. Would you guys consider this a bladed cleat? It's my boy's cleat and it has a mixture of the v-shaped studs and conical studs.

1582146457665.png

My $0.02 is that this is not a bladed cleat. Our club wants the girls wearing Adidas so the shoe that fit her best has this pattern. Maybe I’m crazy, but I also used a grinder to make the front studs less of a triangle by sanding down the edges. As I said above I also took the out of the box length down. She wears these on grass primarily or on newer turf fields that have a high “grass.” She wears a turf shoe on everything else.

Your club wants you to wear Adidas cleats? Unless your player is getting free shoes, free uniforms and/or free soccer- You should be able to wear whatever soccer shoe you want to wear.
Not all shoes fit all feet.
I hate Nike shoes. They don't fit me well and I feel their quality is crap. I'm not gonna sacrifice potential injury by wearing a brand that doesn't fit me right. Or maybe they have 1 shoe in their line that will fit - but is 2x the price and the colors are ugly.

Maybe it's because of our age- But Turf shoes are soooooo much more comfortable. I play in the Copa Mundials in my old man league (fake turf and short so-cal grass/dirt surfaces. Never had any issues with traction. But maybe that's because my added weight forces them into the ground more than an 80 pound 13 year old would). I cannot wear "normal" cleats any more. Too much foot pain.

Have you seen my daughter shoe shop? She will try 10 things on and none will feel comfortable nor have the right look. The kid is a pain to shop for. Plus finding a store that has as many women shoes as men is impossible. I don't even look at the cleat pattern on the bottom. First shoe she says she wants, boom, I'm buying it. Who has the biggest selection for women's soccer shoes?

Your club wants you to wear Adidas cleats? Unless your player is getting free shoes, free uniforms and/or free soccer- You should be able to wear whatever soccer shoe you want to wear.
I hate Nike shoes. They don't fit me well and I feel their quality is crap. I'm not gonna sacrifice potential injury by wearing a brand that doesn't fit me right. Or maybe they have 1 shoe in their line that will fit - but is 2x the price and the colors are ugly.
My players have wide feet. New Balance are the only cleats that fit them. Before New Balance offered soccer cleats DD was going through cleats faster than a pair a month.

Have you seen my daughter shoe shop? She will try 10 things on and none will feel comfortable nor have the right look. The kid is a pain to shop for. Plus finding a store that has as many women shoes as men is impossible. I don't even look at the cleat pattern on the bottom. First shoe she says she wants, boom, I'm buying it. Who has the biggest selection for women's soccer shoes?
How old is she? DD has been wearing men's sizes since U13.

When my kid was young we used Zappos a lot. Free shipping both ways. 4 boxes would show up at a time with different shoes and sizes. Shoe store at home...

She is getting all 3 for free this year, so the club strongly encourages Adidas shoes.

Nike and Adidas (and probably puma and all of the others) are doing a real disservice to the majority of youth soccer players with the cleat pattern that they have on 80% of their model. Bladed cleats are for the thick, manicured grass of the Premier league. Maybe some youth teams in more northern areas have similar grass. But I'm guessing they get pretty worn out from overuse like we get down here.
In So Cal, you are playing on one or more of the following:
Longer, newer Turf (Silverlakes turf fields)
Short, older turf (J Serra side fields)
Short Green Grass (Great Park nearly year round)
Longish green grass (San Bernardino is very playable)
Short brown grass (Galway in the winter)
Hard dirt with a little bit of grass (most middle school playground fields)

99% of your games will be played on a dry field.

No need for a bladed cleat for any of those surfaces.

Yes those so-called speed boots like the Mercurials in specific, not kidding but seen at least a half dozen ankle stuck in injuries just during turf practice with those boots (+2x teams on the fields) one season on turf until the coaches pretty much banned bladed cleats at that field.

Back