Best Club Coaches in SoCal

At lower levels - below presidents. You’ll get a ton of AYSO and small independent teams at Mayors. No club team with decent amount of teams should be losing the majority of their games to these teams. You get a good glimpse of how healthy the coaching is at the club looking at the lower tiers. As a parent you should be asking “Why am I paying my club more than double than the teams beating us badly?” Better off playing at a more cost effective club. For example, running one club’s numbers (club that has at least 40 teams according to their website) from last year’s state cup: 84 pts in 90 games, 24w 54l 12t 125gf 287ga -162gd. Any club with a professional mindset would not accept a win percentage near 25%. Most coaches who believe themselves to be professional, and good enough to be in demand, wouldn’t stick around long in this type of environment.

A team/club can have some bad games, but if your club as a whole have poor stats in their league and state cups - something wrong at the club. Usually it’s the club doesn’t care as long as they have kids lining up and they will keep coaches in who will take the least amount of pay. Unfortunately this type of club has become the norm and parents don’t have the experience to know better - many parents I speak to only care about the practices being less than a 10 minute drive away. Clubs love this mentality and Can shove any young coach their way and market their “energy” and “enthusiasm”.
As someone that refs AYSO rec or Core games as they are called I can assure you that a true rec AYSO team is not beating up on even the softest club teams. An EXTRA, All Star or even Spring Select surely would have a chance. And AYSO United has some really strong teams.

Before my daughter went to club her Extra team beat a club team in a tournament.
But AYSO rec teams are a sight to behold and make a tier 3 team look like Liverpool.

The Boys elite soccer is awful we couldn't beat turks and caicos But the women soccer is second to none!!!!
That may be true regarding the current WNT but when you look at most youth WNT starting at U23 down the story changes. And there is a great deal of evidence that suggests in the next cycle there could be some serious failures.

That may be true regarding the current WNT but when you look at most youth WNT starting at U23 down the story changes. And there is a great deal of evidence that suggests in the next cycle there could be some serious failures.
It will be the best thing that ever happen to Women soccer if other countries start winning or women soccer will be like women's fastpitch. go team Formosa

As someone that refs AYSO rec or Core games as they are called I can assure you that a true rec AYSO team is not beating up on even the softest club teams. An EXTRA, All Star or even Spring Select surely would have a chance. And AYSO United has some really strong teams.

Before my daughter went to club her Extra team beat a club team in a tournament.
But AYSO rec teams are a sight to behold and make a tier 3 team look like Liverpool.
As someone who has been around at admin levels and helped clubs organize from scratch, I can also assure AYSO rec teams beat club teams in scrimmages. Which doesn’t matter because you turn around and grab their players. Really crazy how quick parents ditch teams because it’s “club” and didn’t care that their rec team just beat the club team. Signature teams are also rec. When you organize an Organization, Signature/Plus is Part of the rec structure. Those are the kids feeding the bronze teams - if it’s properly organized. These teams are beating club teams. True There are good Matrix teams but that isn’t the norm. From a club point of view Matrix is really an extension of rec. Any club who claims they are “strong”, or “good” or have “good” coaches shouldn’t be losing consistently to those teams. When you analyze the data, which any professionally run club should do, if you are losing to these teams, there is a problem. How many parents dive into how the club’s teams have done as a collective? Maybe a handful - which clubs know and take advantage of. Only coaches who are in decision making of helping hire coaches even look at that type of data. The strength of how the teams are doing, especially at the lower levels, will tell you how healthy the club is - unless the only teams a club has are elite. Most clubs are created to make money, and having the teams healthy will allow for profit for the following years. Analyzing data, such as state cup, will tell you what needs to be done or you are risk to lose money due to kids leaving. The only outliers to this are teams who are attached to their local area - where parents will always put their kids in those clubs due to convenience. More of a kid just playing a sport and telling friends they play club rather than doing it get better. Some teams have training areas locked down and virtually no penetration can be made - so most clubs just don’t attempt to compete. So clubs look healthy, but really are not. A savvy businessman or two would then just setup the org with cheap labor, young “enthusiastic” coaches, and a DOC and select coaches can hand-select the best talent or pluck it from other areas by offering them to play for free. In most cases of these cases the talent works fine for awhile - until kids get old enough to move to teams with better coaching. Not hard to spot the patterns at these types of clubs. Teams split or dissolve but always teams at the bottom coming in - you actually forecast this to happen and just make two teams to replace those teams. There is virtually no stimulus that will disrupt this type of closed-loop. Most other businesses operate in an ecosystem that needs to evolve - in soccer it usually means better coaching, better training methods, better education,etc. They are forced to get better due to competition or become another club that disappears - this applies even at pro level. Clubs I previously mentioned That have zero competition have no incentive, financially, to invest in better coaches - so the clubs may have a few good teams and then be better for a year or two collectively (well not losing as much pct wise) but never excel or truly ever healthy. If they are not careful and the greed becomes stronger - that is when you see things fall apart.

Camille Lacey. Trainer for all the younger Tustin AYSO teams (please don’t scoff at her association with AYSO!)
and awesome mentor, coach, skills teacher.

Camille is a fantastic coach. She coached our daughter when she was in AYSO Tustin & was very engaged with the kids. She made it fun & always maintained a challenging environment for the players to learn. The fact that she is in pretty phenomenal condition as a coach also provides a great example for the players.

Nice article here about Carrie. I was surprised when she was no longer part of Laguna United. Still havent heard the real story as to why.
Thanks for sharing. Have not talked to her in a good while. “Always tomorrow” is what we say too often. Makes any rational person who isn’t just dropping their kid(a) off at practice or involved in an organization wonder why you remove a coach/doc with her resume and had built a solid club foundation.

As mentioned she has coached Men and I’m sure she’ll be a head coach at the MENs pro level sooner than later. So to fire someone like her out of the blue says more about the Org than it does about the person being fired. The answer why she was fired is pretty easy if you see the level of the coaching staff even 3 years ago versus now and then putting a kid in charge of the entire thing.You would have to also know who really operates the club and rec side as well. Actually structured well on paper and smart when people are willing to operate large parts of the org for free.

When most clubs go down hill usually do to A) scandal B) poor management C) greed D) extremely poor coaching/losing E) extreme rise of operating costs - sometimes a combo of these things. I could build 1000s of profit-generating clubs and put a trained monkey to operate them (just train them to say yes to whatever you say) with no fear of it screwing thing up if: I had all the field space I wanted, no competition due to having all the fields in the area, a huge supply of kids who have parents who don’t want to drive more than 7.5mins to get their kids to practice, cheap labor, free labor (just have to brain wash enough parents or actually force them to give free labor), various forced donations from parents and more. Not hard to maximize profits in this type of environment- if your morality allows for it.

Most people who believe themselves to be “professionals” wouldn’t stand most methods of maximizing profits in a club environment. Most folks who run clubs also understand the nature of a plot of low labor cost versus good coaching (plenty of metrics to easily figure that out) - it is inversely proportional. How many pro teams are hiring the cheapest coach they can find? Building a strong youth club isn’t dissimilar- except when starting up.

So most will mix in a few good coaches or maybe foreign coaches who willing to do just about anything to stay in the US. Not just picking on Laguna. Liverpool similar (minus the fields but have a ton of Irvine space), ton of Slammers offshoots, Strikers and Surf - even worse in other parts of the country where competition isn’t as strong. It’s the amount of kids available in SoCal that helps drive more of this. Some operate with different models but can look at how unhealthy they are by checking the data - then seeing who is actually coaching these teams. The bread and butter are and always will be the littles - especially the ones who have no league or state cup data to look at. Can stick a fresh face in constantly and no one will Really complain - just need to be “enthusiastic“. Should see the ads Galaxy/Liverpool puts out to find coaches -1 year of experience coaching and enthusiasm is all you need.

I listened to a recent interview / podcast she was on recently. I’ll try to find it and post it. Her path has been an interesting one. Hope she kills it in San Diego.

I listened to a recent interview / podcast she was on recently. I’ll try to find it and post it. Her path has been an interesting one. Hope she kills it in San Diego.
If you find it post it. I’d be interested to hear it before setting some time aside to give her a call. Think some of us have been re-evaluating how we keep in touch with people, as well as helping today versus tomorrow, given what happened this weekend.

The only names I see for top coaches are a few of the top teams.. Any other names of good coaches at the younger levels? My daughter is looking to make the move to club in the sgv area. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

For the boys considering the pay what do the better club coach get per month ? <2k notwithstanding MLS or professional organizations I would say the best ones don't stick around long. They move on to something bigger, take a promotion go work for MLS , become trainers, bigger more well financed clubs unless they want to go into management and the $$ DIrectors pay grade.

Many of the coaches for youngers don't have a lot of experience so the quality is really not that great and they don't get compensated that well so not like there are "abc" coaches looking for a new u10 each year, throw those to the rooks.

Best coach someone with a lot of passion for the game that's going to be there for your players and team not running around coaching three other teams, some privates, I'd camps etc all at the same time

For the boys considering the pay what do the better club coach get per month ? <2k notwithstanding MLS or professional organizations I would say the best ones don't stick around long. They move on to something bigger, take a promotion go work for MLS , become trainers, bigger more well financed clubs unless they want to go into management and the $$ DIrectors pay grade.

Many of the coaches for youngers don't have a lot of experience so the quality is really not that great and they don't get compensated that well so not like there are "abc" coaches looking for a new u10 each year, throw those to the rooks.

Best coach someone with a lot of passion for the game that's going to be there for your players and team not running around coaching three other teams, some privates, I'd camps etc all at the same time

Yeah the best coach is a part time coach.
Your right. someone who hasnt committed his life to the craft of coaching. Best to get a person who works 40 hours a week at another job.

great advice.

Back