Beach FC-- Long Beach

I dont know the details but many moons ago I only remember them as a small club with mostly girls teams out of Redondo Beach.

The bigger club in that area was South Bay Force. Force took over or mergered with a Palos Verdes club and some coaches in both went to beach and they started to expand. After Force became a galaxy affiliate & changed names the whole affiliate model starting blowing up.

What we are seeing now seems to be a backlash to some of these affiliate deals as what is promised rarely come to be in reality. The whole access to DA or other higher level league carrots is normally controlled by some central chapter who prefer there own players and the rest just get to put that logo on there websites.

Goes to show you. With the mergers and acquisition MO, you can't get caught up in a brand name. A club might start out doing things the "right" way, but once they become, or get eaten by a big fish, more often than not things get messy. More importantly, find a coach who's philosophy is consistent with yours, and believes in and is committed to your kid.

I dont know the details but many moons ago I only remember them as a small club with mostly girls teams out of Redondo Beach.

The bigger club in that area was South Bay Force. Force took over or mergered with a Palos Verdes club and some coaches in both went to beach and they started to expand. After Force became a galaxy affiliate & changed names the whole affiliate model starting blowing up.

What we are seeing now seems to be a backlash to some of these affiliate deals as what is promised rarely come to be in reality. The whole access to DA or other higher level league carrots is normally controlled by some central chapter who prefer there own players and the rest just get to put that logo on there websites.
Imma set the record a little more “straight”. Beach FC started in Long Beach. A few years later, SM left what was South Bay Force and started the South Bay Chapter of Beach FC. It’s not a affiliate, it is a division. There is only one President, one Board and one DOC. However there are multiple “Directors”. Both Divisions feed into their Girls Academy program that operates as a 3rd “Division” of the Club.

hope that helps a bit.

Imma set the record a little more “straight”. Beach FC started in Long Beach. A few years later, SM left what was South Bay Force and started the South Bay Chapter of Beach FC. It’s not a affiliate, it is a division. There is only one President, one Board and one DOC. However there are multiple “Directors”. Both Divisions feed into their Girls Academy program that operates as a 3rd “Division” of the Club.

hope that helps a bit.

Yes the "beach" as in Cal State Long Beach...they used to practice there and some of the coaches had a connection to that school

Ah SM was one of the best @ that force club. Good for her to branch out. Our younger had a couple of friends on her team and they where kind of shocked when they found out. so much so some of them eventually wanted to listen to or check out other bigger more "blue'er" clubs.

Yes the "beach" as in Cal State Long Beach...they used to practice there and some of the coaches had a connection to that school

Ah SM was one of the best @ that force club. Good for her to branch out. Our younger had a couple of friends on her team and they where kind of shocked when they found out. so much so some of them eventually wanted to listen to or check out other bigger more "blue'er" clubs.
Indeed...can’t knock the hustle for even planting the seeds that far north. MBSS put together some solid teams in the SB for a few years then after the Galaxy/Exiles merger, the pendulum swung. Nevertheless there has been some really talented kids coming out of the SouthBay for years. It’s about time the parents haven’t had to commute for 1+ hours each way to get “exposure”.

Can someone explain to me who had the original Beach FC? Where was the original Beach located? What Beach? Long Beach? Hermosa Beach? Redondo Beach? Manhattan Beach? I went up to Seattle and saw the first original Starbucks that opened 50 years ago. The original Legends FC started in a little city called Glendora, ca.
Long Beach. Was originally like a Blues, all flight one and boutique. Clearly, those days are long past.

Selling out good coaches and players to bring in a new director and his buddies has consequences.
You keep making very broad statements, selling soul to devil and one person changing the culture. There are some great people and coaches there. Like any big entity, they have issues. Unless you are more specific in your critique, it falls flat.

hope that helps a bit.
And that is where the tension seems to be. They are adding tons of teams to fund the academy. But the $$ and numbers are in the southbay now and it seems that the LB coaches do not appreciate the power shift.

Long Beach. Was originally like a Blues, all flight one and boutique. Clearly, those days are long past.
That's what I remember. The original Legends FC was out of Glendora ca. Small, boutique club that started with one team. JH started winning and then the competition started to poach his goats like when my dd played there. Kicker said it best. South Bay peeps had to travel 1+ hours to find "exposure" and now they don;t. Fair competition is what makes this gr8t country awesome. I'm not so sure how fair all this has been on us customers, but I will 100% learn from it and I'm sure the rest of us will too:)

”adding teams to fund the academy”, how so? I have 2 in the program and can tell you, the Academy is FAR from “funded”!
I was advised they lost money last year. There are rules on $ to remain an academy club. Thus, adding other clubs and many flight iii teams to keep the $$ in coming in.

You keep making very broad statements, selling soul to devil and one person changing the culture. There are some great people and coaches there. Like any big entity, they have issues. Unless you are more specific in your critique, it falls flat.
A number of LB coaches recently had a meeting to discuss being second class citizens in the club now. The consensus was that SB is favored, pathway to DA is clearly showing signs of favoritism, are we just a forgotten part of organization. The LB part of the family is not feeling like family any more. Rumors of coaches leaving LB are first domino to fall since meeting.

I'm shocked top players have to pay in order to play in the DA. If you made the YNT list, you should get free until you get out of HS and then get a free ride in college. Missing 10 days of hs school should be rewarded by a free ride imho. Plus all that training with a soccer ball......My sister in laws boy pays nada for Golden State boys DA. In Fact, I was told all the boys DA is fully funded. Why are parents like Kicker having to pay to play in the DA? That's BS. I don;t think Beach gives away free rides to anyone or promises to anyone. OC, LA and SD Surf 100% all offer free ride as does Legends and Pats. Pats is fully funded. Blues is 100% a no. Albion give free rides? Real?

I don't like all these big clubs calling themselves a "family" either. It sounds like a cult or worse, a mob family. If you speak up to the head family leader, he/she can cause you lot's of harm. God forbid if you want to live with another family down the street. I looked at all these websites and many of them share about "come join our lovely family."

1581981302332.png

hope that helps a bit.

Don't forget the ECNL division and the El Segundo division.

A number of LB coaches recently had a meeting to discuss being second class citizens in the club now. The consensus was that SB is favored, pathway to DA is clearly showing signs of favoritism, are we just a forgotten part of organization. The LB part of the family is not feeling like family any more. Rumors of coaches leaving LB are first domino to fall since meeting.

Most DA's favor the best available players. Can't really think of any that don't?

Last year Beach posted it's coaching line-up. I can't find this year's line-up. Does anyone know what teams DS and SD are coaching? They announced DS as girls South Bay director. What is SD's role?

You say “clearly” please explain how that is? In the first year of DA there were equal #’s of LB and SB players for the ‘03’s and ‘04’s. The following year there were actually more LB players than SB (by maybe a single player). This year when the ‘06’s formed there were more players pulled from LB than SB, especially because they pulled from 2 different LB teams (only one SB team). Another factoid to look at is where the DA staff originated from, all but one came from the LB staff and the one that isn’t came from outside the club.

The great thing about data is it isn’t subjective.

If the “favoritisms” are due in part to the training facilities, well, that was a result of economics and facility size/availability.

it is true that the SB division is growing by leaps and bounds whereas LB seems to unable to maintain or grow, maybe it’s do to more competition from other clubs in their area, I honestly don’t know.

Last year Beach posted it's coaching line-up. I can't find this year's line-up. Does anyone know what teams DS and SD are coaching? They announced DS as girls South Bay director. What is SD's role?
Must have just taken it down then as of 2 weeks ago it was listed.

You say “clearly” please explain how that is? In the first year of DA there were equal #’s of LB and SB players for the ‘03’s and ‘04’s. The following year there were actually more LB players than SB (by maybe a single player). This year when the ‘06’s formed there were more players pulled from LB than SB, especially because they pulled from 2 different LB teams (only one SB team). Another factoid to look at is where the DA staff originated from, all but one came from the LB staff and the one that isn’t came from outside the club.

The great thing about data is it isn’t subjective.

If the “favoritisms” are due in part to the training facilities, well, that was a result of economics and facility size/availability.

it is true that the SB division is growing by leaps and bounds whereas LB seems to unable to maintain or grow, maybe it’s do to more competition from other clubs in their area, I honestly don’t know.

For 2019-2020, Beach has 87 teams listed on the web site. 47 of those are SB, 23 LB, 6 Boys ECNL, 6 DPL and 5 GDA. So SB is 54% of the teams. I imagine that # increases given the consolidation of teams in the SB under Beach. To Kicker's point, the data would seem to imply that the SB would likely become more important to the club.

For 2019-2020, Beach has 87 teams listed on the web site. 47 of those are SB, 23 LB, 6 Boys ECNL, 6 DPL and 5 GDA. So SB is 54% of the teams. I imagine that # increases given the consolidation of teams in the SB under Beach. To Kicker's point, the data would seem to imply that the SB would likely become more important to the club.
If all of Galaxy south bay and Strikers south bay are coming over, that would really swing the numbers. But the southbay also has the $$. The feeling at beach is that merit based decisions are not being made.

Back