Baseball..

One of the advantages of the current broadcast technology of baseball games is that it can show how good or bad the umpires are at calling balls and strikes. Maybe roboump next year?

It's an idea that's been floated around for some time. How different would the Padre/Yankee World Series have been with this tech?

I still like real umps/refs. The game of Baseball is not perfect and this tech would change the feel.of the game. Imagine Earl Weaver or Billy Martin trying to argue with an ai-ump.. the need for catchers who can call a good game and frame a pitch would be a thing of the past. No Alomar or Yeager needed..

The only tweaking they should make is the pace of the game and they are working on that.

It's an idea that's been floated around for some time. How different would the Padre/Yankee World Series have been with this tech?

I still like real umps/refs. The game of Baseball is not perfect and this tech would change the feel.of the game. Imagine Earl Weaver or Billy Martin trying to argue with an ai-ump.. the need for catchers who can call a good game and frame a pitch would be a thing of the past. No Alomar or Yeager needed..

The only tweaking they should make is the pace of the game and they are working on that.

It may have been floated around for years, but now it appears that we have usable technology. I would like a system that doesn't call balls and strikes directly, but just lets the umpire know if the pitch crossed through the strike zone. He could still make the call himself based on other factors.

I know umpires are rated by MLB and the league offices (that's how we get the supposed best in the post-season games) but I don't know if they use the current technology to run stats on an umpire's ball and strike calls pitch by pitch.

It may have been floated around for years, but now it appears that we have usable technology. I would like a system that doesn't call balls and strikes directly, but just lets the umpire know if the pitch crossed through the strike zone. He could still make the call himself based on other factors.

I know umpires are rated by MLB and the league offices (that's how we get the supposed best in the post-season games) but I don't know if they use the current technology to run stats on an umpire's ball and strike calls pitch by pitch.
Yea I've thought the same thing. Give the Ump an ear piece that sends an audible tone signaling a strike. But still not a fan of that. Each ump has his zone and pitchers know that.. just not a fan of the expanded strike zone that guys like Maddox were given. Some of those strikes were six inches off the plate.

Yea I've thought the same thing. Give the Ump an ear piece that sends an audible tone signaling a strike. But still not a fan of that. Each ump has his zone and pitchers know that.. just not a fan of the expanded strike zone that guys like Maddox were given. Some of those strikes were six inches off the plate.

If each ump had his zone would be ok if they were consistent, but the broadcast technology shows that not to be the case.

Another robo-ump application might be checked-swings. As it stands now, a "swing" is defined as an "attempt" to hit the ball. There is no definition for a checked-swing. Some umpires go by the extent the hips rotate; some by the extent that the bat moves; and some just go by "feel." My proposal is that a "swing" occurs when any part of the bat enters into any area above the plate. Any robo-ump could detect that pretty easily.

In all ball-strike calls and checked-swing calls, I would have the electronic system be the correct call by default, and also have the system announce the call to the crowd. The field umpire would have the right to overrule the system.

Another robo-ump application might be checked-swings. As it stands now, a "swing" is defined as an "attempt" to hit the ball. There is no definition for a checked-swing. Some umpires go by the extent the hips rotate; some by the extent that the bat moves; and some just go by "feel." My proposal is that a "swing" occurs when any part of the bat enters into any area above the plate. Any robo-ump could detect that pretty easily.

In all ball-strike calls and checked-swing calls, I would have the electronic system be the correct call by default, and also have the system announce the call to the crowd. The field umpire would have the right to overrule the system.

A ball that bounces before entering the strike zone is a ball by rule, unless the batter swings at it, unless it is a foul ball and the batter already has 2 strikes, unless it is a bunt attempt.

Last edited:
If each ump had his zone would be ok if they were consistent, but the broadcast technology shows that not to be the case.
Yea that doesn't work. Having different strike zones isn't a fix. It's having different strike zones that is the reason they are looking at ai umps. But another poster mentioned how much of an offensive explosion there will be if pitchers don't get any calls of the black..and I agree. That's why any type of ai will need to include a top view of where the ball crosses the plate.

Ouch! This is harsh --

Not a Padres fan but any team with that amount of talent that suffers a collapse like that deserves to have heads roll. I mostly agree with everything the writer if that article said, except saying Tatis is approaching Tony Gwynn territory. Let the kid ball out a few more seasons before the comparisons to Mr. Padre start, even if it's just as a fan favorite.

Not a Padres fan but any team with that amount of talent that suffers a collapse like that deserves to have heads roll. I mostly agree with everything the writer if that article said, except saying Tatis is approaching Tony Gwynn territory. Let the kid ball out a few more seasons before the comparisons to Mr. Padre start, even if it's just as a fan favorite.

In many respects, Jr has had a better first three years than TG did, but in a different dimension -- homers and stolen bases instead of hits and average. People watch to see Jr make impossible plays at shortstop, and also to see if he will throw the ball into the stands. Gwynn started out as an overweight basketball player until he matured into the second-best hitter ever (behind Ted Williams) and a real defensive asset.

Don Orsillo did the Fox game with John Smoltz over the weekend, and Smoltz suggested that the Padte collapse started not with Tatis' long IL stint after he blew out his shoulder with a wild swing, but when he was put in the outfield on his return.

Ouch! This is harsh --

Stories on the local news about Tingler's tenure with the Padres claim that he was the GM's secret favorite from the beginning of the search for a new manager in 2019. I had never heard of him before he was announced as the new manager. He was a player of little note, reaching AAA in the Rangers and Blue Jays organization before he went into coaching.

Interesting candidates include Bruce Bochy and Brad Ausmus. Bochy has lived in Poway even after leaving the Padres and his kids' playing time at Poway HS overlapped my kids' time there. Ausmus was also a Padres catcher for a time in the '90s before he became a manager for the Tigers and Angels.

Stories on the local news about Tingler's tenure with the Padres claim that he was the GM's secret favorite from the beginning of the search for a new manager in 2019. I had never heard of him before he was announced as the new manager. He was a player of little note, reaching AAA in the Rangers and Blue Jays organization before he went into coaching.

Interesting candidates include Bruce Bochy and Brad Ausmus. Bochy has lived in Poway even after leaving the Padres and his kids' playing time at Poway HS overlapped my kids' time there. Ausmus was also a Padres catcher for a time in the '90s before he became a manager for the Tigers and Angels.

Bob Melvin? He's another catcher.

Really? Overweight?

The "overweight basketball player" comes from a 1984 story by Nick Canepa, the SD Evening Tribune baseball columnist at the time. He was explaining why Gwynn did not play baseball his Freshman year at SDSU. The basketball coach thought he was overweight at 205 pounds and had him on a conditioning and weight-loss program that Spring, so no time for baseball.

Really.

Back