Bad News Thread

Are you aware of any states that aren't using the honor system? It seems that every state is either using the honor system to some extent or eliminating the mask requirement altogether. Verification of vaccine status seems to be only required in some states for very specific situations.

If you are unhappy with Newsom's honor system you have the opportunity to tell him how you feel in the recall election this Fall.
Newsom is essentially being recalled for doing his job.

Count me, and 57% of likely voters, as a no on your recall.

Never signed the recall petition, but I will happily vote for someone else. I can't forgive give him for siding with the unions over our children. I'm not a single issue voter but what he did was inexcusable.

Is he not doing his job now since he is allowing the honor system?

Even assuming your Max No of 20% and a Max IFR for non vaccinated across the gen population of .4% (which you yourself said was falling due to treatments and seems to actually be between .1-.2%), that 100K number is the worst case ceiling because vaccination 65+ is running substantially higher than the rest of the population. IIRC the last number I saw for 65+ was close to 80%. It's probably closer to 60,000-80,000 which would be in line with the seasonal flu.
Not going to quibble over 60-80K versus 100K. Either way, a substantial number of people are at risk.

The assumptions you listed actually give an estimate of 264K. (0.4% IFR and 20% new infections.) I am not that pessimistic.

Not going to quibble over 60-80K versus 100K. Either way, a substantial number of people are at risk.

The assumptions you listed actually give an estimate of 264K. (0.4% IFR and 20% new infections.) I am not that pessimistic.

Math error: .4% worst case is the IFR in the general population prevaccination. You have to discount by population because the most vulnerable have a higher IFR, but there are much fewer of them vulnerable because vaccination has been skewing older. Refusals are highest in the under 40 brackets, for which the IFR is very small. You can back envelope it better than I can but that puts your worst case, edge of the bell curve scenario somewhere in the 100K-120K range.

Which brings the numbers in the range of seasonal flu. If you think 60-80K is a substantial risk, the knock on you really is true...the numbers are the same as flu (and what's worse is they brought it on themselves, since unlike the flu vaccine, we know the rona vaccine works really well)....you must go into a panic every bad flu season.

-Weren't you critical in the end of his school closures?
-What about youth sports.....you got so desperate at one point you were going to an out of state tournie?
-You approve of the French laundry?
-How about the outdoor dining stuff...you yourself conceded that might have driven people indoors?
-How about the outdoor mask stuff....or are you still holding out that an outdoor mask mandate is useful?
-How about the outdoor shutting of beaches and trail hikes....oh yeah I hear you the "science evolved".....but remember he tried to shut down playgrounds while fudging around with the ski slopes.

Now you can say and argue with a straight face that he did his job better on the whole than his errors. But to say that "Newsom is essentially being recalled for doing his job" is very much the stretch.

Why do you believe this is relevant?
Why is it relevant?

Because if the press kept running totals of the flu deaths day by day, county by county, etc you would have had people freaking out long ago.

So you and others are now always looking, always worried about the next variant. I suspect strongly you don't even think about the flu other than to remind yourself to get a yearly shot.

The reality is outside a small segment of our population, covid is a non issue.

-What about youth sports.....you got so desperate at one point you were going to an out of state tournie?
-How about the outdoor dining stuff...you yourself conceded that might have driven people indoors?
-How about the outdoor mask stuff....or are you still holding out that an outdoor mask mandate is useful?
-How about the outdoor shutting of beaches and trail hikes....oh yeah I hear you the "science evolved".....but remember he tried to shut down playgrounds while fudging around with the ski slopes.

Now you can say and argue with a straight face that he did his job better on the whole than his errors. But to say that "Newsom is essentially being recalled for doing his job" is very much the stretch.
Don’t forget about the $1 billion dollar mask deal with a Chinese CAR MANUFACTURER (that also happens to be a major campaign donor).

So give me an alternative who actually wanted to do something to control the virus. Send me a link to their 2020 press release describing what they thought we should do at the time.

But, if the main GOP position is that we should not have tried to control the virus, count me as not interested.

So give me an alternative who actually wanted to do something to control the virus. Send me a link to their 2020 press release describing what they thought we should do at the time.

But, if the main GOP position is that we should not have tried to control the virus, count me as not interested.

You are perfectly capable of saying you prefer Newsom to any of the alternatives. It is further reasonable to say that Newsom did a better job than any of the alternatives would have. It's further reasonable to say that on the whole he did a descent job as far as you are concerned, even if you did disagree with a lot of it, and therefore he doesn't deserve removal. But what you cannot do is say the only thing he was doing was just his job, since you yourself have been critical of the way he's handled it. You can't have it both ways: either the attempt to moderate your positions has been wrong, or Newsom's handling of the rona was far from perfect.

Your starting with a flawed premise that you can "control" a virus. Actual historical evidence clearly shows that you can't (please spare me the cherry picking and parsing of minutiae that "proves" you can). You can only attempt to mitigate the impacts of the virus. So if a candidate can implement common sense mitigation measures and will choose our children over the unions, then they will get my vote. Now it's not likely that a Democrat fits this description since they're beholden to the unions. Unfortunately, I'm not very enamored with Cox or Faulkner. Faulkner made a lot of mistakes in San Diego....and Cox, WTF is up with the bear?

You are perfectly capable of saying you prefer Newsom to any of the alternatives. It is further reasonable to say that Newsom did a better job than any of the alternatives would have. It's further reasonable to say that on the whole he did a descent job as far as you are concerned, even if you did disagree with a lot of it, and therefore he doesn't deserve removal. But what you cannot do is say the only thing he was doing was just his job, since you yourself have been critical of the way he's handled it. You can't have it both ways: either the attempt to moderate your positions has been wrong, or Newsom's handling of the rona was far from perfect.
I can completely say he is being criticized for doing his job. It is what you are doing. Newsom tried to close restaurants and make us all wear masks, and you are mad at him for it.

It’s roughly what I think when I hear loudmouth parents yelling at the ref. Occasionally, the ref makes a mistake. But most of the time, the parent’s complaint is that the ref did the job he was asked to do.

I can completely say he is being criticized for doing his job. It is what you are doing. Newsom tried to close restaurants and make us all wear masks, and you are mad at him for it.

It’s roughly what I think when I hear loudmouth parents yelling at the ref. Occasionally, the ref makes a mistake. But most of the time, the parent’s complaint is that the ref did the job he was asked to do.

The issue is in this case you are one of the loud mouth parents.

If you were interested in virus control you wouldn't be basing your hysteria on Corona DNA segments via the PCR test.

Loud mouth parents are typically the ones watching their first born play. Reminds me of your hysteria. It's obvious this was your first pandemic.

Back