Bad News Thread

I find the whole N95 issue intriguing- when I went to Kaiser recently for a lab draw, they made me put another mask OVER my N95- as they weren't allowing any vented masks in.
The vent thing has been an issue for a while but Theres an entire push going on that the reasons why masks didn’t work is that they need to be double masks. There was something in The NY Times today or yesterday

putting this in the bad news thread because of the 2nd party. Looks like the purple plus lockdown orders will be lifted this week. Announcement apparently being made tomorrow according to an email sent to the California restaurateurs association. La county though is expected to remain on lockdown including outdoor dining.

And they take a thinly veiled shot at the education level of Californians. You can't make this up.

CHHS spokeswoman Kate Folmar said projected ICU capacity is based on multiple variables, including available beds and staffing. "These fluid, on-the-ground conditions cannot be boiled down to a single data point — and to do so would mislead and create greater uncertainty for Californians," she said in a statement.

California ignores public records request, keeps coronavirus data hidden

Ok, and the next day, the story for the link below leads with the following sentence regarding ICU capacity in CA.
"A stunning turn with regional ICU availability numbers."

This is good news if you ignore the fact that this gives a very strong impression that our leaders in CA appear to be intentionally misleading us.

Ok, and the next day, the story for the link below leads with the following sentence regarding ICU capacity in CA.
"A stunning turn with regional ICU availability numbers."

This is good news if you ignore the fact that this gives a very strong impression that our leaders in CA appear to be intentionally misleading us.

And......

I don't know anything about the ICU numbers, but what is crazy is the number of cases and how those numbers have dropped off a cliff. Sort of crazy.

And......

I don't know anything about the ICU numbers, but what is crazy is the number of cases and how those numbers have dropped off a cliff. Sort of crazy.
I will take this as good news. Interesting that he is lifting this when SoCal is still seeing crazy numbers. Curious to know what motivated him to change his mind.

I will take this as good news. Interesting that he is lifting this when SoCal is still seeing crazy numbers. Curious to know what motivated him to change his mind.
“...It's far from clear whether the decision will lead to easing of stay-at-home rules in Los Angeles County”

Clown show!

What's super crazy to me is SoCal has much higher infection rates than NorCal, at least anecdotally (I'm pretty sure the math backs up that assertion) -- in that more people down there have gotten the virus. Numbers should be dropping like a rock down there. I think @dad4 pointed out this possibility a ways back.

What's super crazy to me is SoCal has much higher infection rates than NorCal, at least anecdotally (I'm pretty sure the math backs up that assertion) -- in that more people down there have gotten the virus. Numbers should be dropping like a rock down there. I think @dad4 pointed out this possibility a ways back.
Please don't lump SD County in with LA County :D . SD is down a wee bit but nothing material, still at one of its highest points for cases and lowest for ICU capacity. The good news is that overall SD County has a low death rate per capita for large counties, only 45% of LA's death per capita. Some of NoCal's large counties are among the lowest overall.

“...It's far from clear whether the decision will lead to easing of stay-at-home rules in Los Angeles County”

Clown show!
Look at LA’s new cases per day. You’ve got 1/4 of the state population but almost half the daily cases. As long as this is true, LA will have stricter rules than other places.

They aren’t doing what you want, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are wrong.

Please don't lump SD County in with LA County :D . SD is down a wee bit but nothing material, still at one of its highest points for cases and lowest for ICU capacity. The good news is that overall SD County has a low death rate per capita for large counties, only 45% of LA's death per capita. Some of NoCal's large counties are among the lowest overall.

SD County is really strange. You guys didn't have much of a surge in July. Your case numbers appear to be dropping -- albeit not as fast.

Look at LA’s new cases per day. You’ve got 1/4 of the state population but almost half the daily cases. As long as this is true, LA will have stricter rules than other places.

They aren’t doing what you want, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are wrong.

But as you had predicted earlier, LA has gone down pretty rapidly. From a height of CPD of 20K+ it's now about 11+. From a high of positive rate of 24% on New Years Day, it's now about 11%.

LA County has NEVER been out of the strictest tier, what does that tell you?

LA County has NEVER been out of the strictest tier, what does that tell you?
That you have high population density, a lot of low income families with too little space, and a wicked new variant.

I would like to believe that cities will realize that the lack of housing stock helped cause the crisis. But that’s just me dreaming. More likely the rich places will make it illegal for a large family to live in a small apartment.

That you have high population density, a lot of low income families with too little space, and a wicked new variant.

I would like to believe that cities will realize that the lack of housing stock helped cause the crisis. But that’s just me dreaming. More likely the rich places will make it illegal for a large family to live in a small apartment.
Where else are you gonna build in LA County?

Back