Bad News Thread

You mean the panicked scramble when you're in front of the store, usually a unplanned mini market stop, and your rummaging through your car trying to find a mask. Sometimes finding a janky old mask that god knows who wore, and you're like F' it, I really need that can of Starbucks Doubleshot.

Why was it so hard for us to remember a mask even after a year? It must be some subconscious thing.
Yeah, multiple times on some days. Keys, wallet, phone is challenging enough.

Not going to quibble over 60-80K versus 100K. Either way, a substantial number of people are at risk.

The assumptions you listed actually give an estimate of 264K. (0.4% IFR and 20% new infections.) I am not that pessimistic.
Historically, protecting people who say, "I got this" is not a very American thing to do. You heard Crush. He's got his V's. He's fit. People that aren't should probably get a vaccine. I hear there are so many available they may have to throw them away. In the meantime, life goes on. All the handwringing and consorting with the head troll of misanthropy isn't doing you any good.

Oh, I found your candidate, @dad4. There are NO cases in his country. Seems like your kind of guy. Might be tough to convince him to leave his current gig, though. jk.

The celebrity millennium allowed only vaccinated crew and passengers. First all vax North America cruise. 2 passengers, asymptomatic, have tested positive despite being fully vaxxed. Doing both doesn’t work....either you vaccine passport the cruises (in which case you don’t worry about it...they are either a small number of breakthrough cases or it’s another issue with overly sensitive testing where exposure does not necessary equal ill) or you test them.

There is an rsv mini epidemic building in the southern states from Texas to Virginia. Probably due to the littlest ones having more outside contact now as it’s a very common disease in toddlers and young children. Every year though it kills 100-200 children and 15,000 adults mostly over 65. Guess it’s time to go into lockdown.

There is an rsv mini epidemic building in the southern states from Texas to Virginia. Probably due to the littlest ones having more outside contact now as it’s a very common disease in toddlers and young children. Every year though it kills 100-200 children and 15,000 adults mostly over 65. Guess it’s time to go into lockdown.
Oh here’s a side note. In bad years the death toll for rsv can rise to up to 500 children. The experts are worried this might be such a year because kids build resistance by being exposed early and often...now they may be exposed as older toddlers and children due to the year long day potentially causing more severe cases. The hospitalization rate btw for children is about 15,000 every year.

The celebrity millennium allowed only vaccinated crew and passengers. First all vax North America cruise. 2 passengers, asymptomatic, have tested positive despite being fully vaxxed. Doing both doesn’t work....either you vaccine passport the cruises (in which case you don’t worry about it...they are either a small number of breakthrough cases or it’s another issue with overly sensitive testing where exposure does not necessary equal ill) or you test them.
Doing both doesn’t work? Why not?

Your example seems to be a case of doing both. They ran an asymptomtic screening on some vaccinated passengers.

Two of them had covid, but no symptoms. This is not too surprising if you remember just how many passengers are on these ships. It is 2 asymptomatic cases out of 2,000.

The CM maximum capacity is over 2000 passengers and over 900 crew. Do we know how many were on board?

Historically, protecting people who say, "I got this" is not a very American thing to do. You heard Crush. He's got his V's. He's fit. People that aren't should probably get a vaccine. I hear there are so many available they may have to throw them away. In the meantime, life goes on. All the handwringing and consorting with the head troll of misanthropy isn't doing you any good.

Oh, I found your candidate, @dad4. There are NO cases in his country. Seems like your kind of guy. Might be tough to convince him to leave his current gig, though. jk.

Thanks bro, I really really really do appreciate the common sense friendship we have built. I love you man :)

I like to check back in every now and then.

The sun still rises and you still have your little authoritarian streak.

Despite all the real world facts coming in, you still cling to your need to have rules/regs that don't work. Now you are on to vaccine passports?

And you are still wearing a mask? What is wrong with you? You have the vax.

Your example seems to be a case of doing both. They ran an asymptomtic screening on some vaccinated passengers.

Two of them had covid, but no symptoms. This is not too surprising if you remember just how many passengers are on these ships. It is 2 asymptomatic cases out of 2,000.
Because either you trust the vaccine or you don’t. These 2 may not even be contagious (we aren’t even fully sure if truly asymptomatic as opposed to presymptomatic can spread the virus and how readily) but now they and their contacts are going to be quarantined on ship where everyone is vaccinated. Of course on a ship of 2000 this is going to happen. If it happens a few times people will begin to think maybe it’s just not the right time to go on a cruise yet.

Despite all the real world facts coming in, you still cling to your need to have rules/regs that don't work. Now you are on to vaccine passports?

1623419795529.png

Welcome back to the Madness brother Mad Hatter. It's obvious what this is all about now. I will put the Elephant in the room for all to see. It's called "obey me because I like bossing people around boss." "Don't you question me either, I am science and whatever I say you need to do. Don't you dare question my authority either." I know a few who love this kind of power. I spoke to a dear liberal pal of mine last night. Dude is woke now and see's now what I've been trying to say to him for last 20 years or so. This is not a right vs left, Lib or Conservative, Black vs White, and so on. This is about one thing. Good vs Evil. BTW, he took his family to church last week for the first time ever. Good men who have been depressed or lost & confused in the matrix are now awakening to the BS and lies and now see the truth unlike any other time. I see the hope and rainbow :)

I take it you're not in Santa Clara County California. We are required to wear a mask inside public buildings and places of business unless we are eating or doing shots of tequila - until next Wednesday. Then it's fewer places.

Because either you trust the vaccine or you don’t. These 2 may not even be contagious (we aren’t even fully sure if truly asymptomatic as opposed to presymptomatic can spread the virus and how readily) but now they and their contacts are going to be quarantined on ship where everyone is vaccinated. Of course on a ship of 2000 this is going to happen. If it happens a few times people will begin to think maybe it’s just not the right time to go on a cruise yet.
You are using a false dichotomy. Trust is not boolean.

I trust the vaccine to do what they tested it to do: be 95% effective at preventing serious illness.
I do not trust the vaccine to completely block transmission in a very high risk environment like a cruise ship.

So, do I trust the vaccine or not?

There is nothing logically inconsistent with using both vaccines and tests.

Back