Bad News Thread

That's just handwaving. And it appears you are attempting to quietly back away from your lie.

Nope. You are just reading more into it than there is. It's no grand conspiracy. There's always a question of how to count. The collective decision was just made early on to err on the side of overcounting rather than undercounting, which is why you get weird circumstances like the 20 something
driver. When you get down to the numbers we are at now, it makes a difference.

Nope. You are just reading more into it than there is. It's no grand conspiracy. There's always a question of how to count. The collective decision was just made early on to err on the side of overcounting rather than undercounting, which is why you get weird circumstances like the 20 something
driver. When you get down to the numbers we are at now, it makes a difference.

I suppose it is encouraging to 20-somethings with covid that they won't die in an auto accident.

So Bill Gates is getting a divorce. At this point I'd rather talk about that!

You haven't heard the conspiracy theory? That it's to take total control of the Gates foundation and build upon the pandemic shutdowns to advance the Great Reset (which is why Biden is spending so much, opening up the borders, talking about less meat, and trying to revamp the election laws and make DC a state)? Yeah it's crazy for coocoo puffs stuff.

You haven't heard the conspiracy theory? That it's to take total control of the Gates foundation and build upon the pandemic shutdowns to advance the Great Reset (which is why Biden is spending so much, opening up the borders, talking about less meat, and trying to revamp the election laws and make DC a state)? Yeah it's crazy for coocoo puffs stuff.
OMG no. Thank god I some how steer clear of that madness.

You aren't paying attention to Fauci. Shame on you. We are only slightly more than halfway over, in the bottom of the 6th inning.

He may be in the bottom of the 6th but the majority of Americans are at the bar having a drink after the game. It's quite comical that politicians think the general public is still listening to their Covid recommendations.

No. I don't put peer reviewed scientific papers in the same bucket as Internet trolls. Neither should you.

There is plenty of good science on this. It's just not from Twitter.
Oh please. You and your science are siloed. You've been cherry picking data for over a year now. Talk about selection bias.

There you go again. Ascribing bad motivations. I actually think risk avoidance is a highly effective technique for avoiding COVID, at least on a micro level. On a macro level it doesn't do a whole lot of good unless you are going to collapse your country like Peru and Argentina, and in any case it's not sustainable as both countries have shown. I just don't think the mask piece, particularly indoors in a place where people were sleeping in tight quarters, and it's bad science to conflate both and then declare "masks work!". No the only thing you've proven is masks + distancing work, at least on a micro level, and I don't really dispute that. I just think the mask part is somewhat superfluous
Micro/macro? Sounds clever. Now think it through.

What possible mechanism could mean that avoiding high risk places reduces transmission when 3000 people do it, but fails completely if 330 million people do it?

And how does the math work on that? When I was avoiding restaurants, was my risk lower- because my household and neighborhood are micro? Or was my risk still high, because the country as a whole is macro?

Perhaps because I am part of both micro and macro groups, my risk was both low and high at the same time.

Or, maybe, the total for a population is the sum of subtotals for each of the subgroups. Same as back when you took BC Calc.

Micro/macro? Sounds clever. Now think it through.

What possible mechanism could mean that avoiding high risk places reduces transmission when 3000 people do it, but fails completely if 330 million people do it?

And how does the math work on that? When I was avoiding restaurants, was my risk lower- because my household and neighborhood are micro? Or was my risk still high, because the country as a whole is macro?

Perhaps because I am part of both micro and macro groups, my risk was both low and high at the same time.

Or, maybe, the total for a population is the sum of subtotals for each of the subgroups. Same as back when you took BC Calc.
Or maybe like when you studied the different effects in basic college economics. Societal effects don’t always scale up.

The reason in this case is simple. You can’t have perfect distance or societies collapse and imperfect distance eventually gives way to fatigue since humans are social animals. Again the 20 year old dangy bro is not going to be celebate a year plus

But then you’ve never been one for common sense. They don’t teach it in your ivory tower prison.

Or maybe like when you studied the different effects in basic college economics. Societal effects don’t always scale up.

The reason in this case is simple. You can’t have perfect distance or societies collapse and imperfect distance eventually gives way to fatigue since humans are social animals. Again the 20 year old dangy bro is not going to be celebate a year plus

But then you’ve never been one for common sense. They don’t teach it in your ivory tower prison.
Common sense? I’m just asking whether I was being micro or macro when I was avoiding restaurants. I wish i’d known I could just declare my self to be macro, so that I’m allowed to order the cioppino.

Common sense? I’m just asking whether I was being micro or macro when I was avoiding restaurants. I wish i’d known I could just declare my self to be macro, so that I’m allowed to order the cioppino.
“You are a toy!” So by definition you are micro and unable to order cioppino.

Your individual risk btw is a micro effect. Nation wide implications are macro. Really basic stuff here.

“You are a toy!” So by definition you are micro and unable to order cioppino.

Your individual risk btw is a micro effect. Nation wide implications are macro. Really basic stuff here.
Very sad that Buzz can't have cioppino. Cioppino is great. But I will carry on and help save the galaxy....

If one of us skips Cioppino, that helps because it is micro. But if 100 million of us avoid restaurants, that is macro and therefore zero.

For each person in the 100 million, our personal risk is lower. But the total risk among all of us is unchanged.

And why, exactly, is it not additive? How can we add 100 million negative numbers and end up with zero?

Like you said, basic stuff. Despite that, you're still not making any sense.

Very sad that Buzz can't have cioppino. Cioppino is great. But I will carry on and help save the galaxy....

If one of us skips Cioppino, that helps because it is micro. But if 100 million of us avoid restaurants, that is macro and therefore zero.

For each person in the 100 million, our personal risk is lower. But the total risk among all of us is unchanged.

And why, exactly, is it not additive? How can we add 100 million negative numbers and end up with zero?

Like you said, basic stuff. Despite that, you're still not making any sense.
Because its not just restaurants. It’s work, it’s kids in school, it’s people socializing. Because we are social creatures and you can’t sustain that for a year plus. You can’t even sustain it in a restaurants for a year because of the mass business upheavals and the political pressure to reopen. So while you can avoid eating at restaurants for a year it’s not feasible to have a mass population do it. It’s the type of fantasy you only find at Disneyland.

Btw are you finally saying the dad4 npi plan would have been limited to masks+ dining &bar closures? We have you on record that in the alternate space command universe that would have been the dad plan?

Basic stuff even for a toy.

Because its not just restaurants. It’s work, it’s kids in school, it’s people socializing. Because we are social creatures and you can’t sustain that for a year plus. You can’t even sustain it in a restaurants for a year because of the mass business upheavals and the political pressure to reopen. So while you can avoid eating at restaurants for a year it’s not feasible to have a mass population do it. It’s the type of fantasy you only find at Disneyland.

Btw are you finally saying the dad4 npi plan would have been limited to masks+ dining &bar closures? We have you on record that in the alternate space command universe that would have been the dad plan?

Basic stuff even for a toy.
You actually got it wrong. Your macro explanation simplifies to "it won't work because we refuse".

I've already granted that. We are stuck with covid because the right wing here refuses to get with the program. See, we agree.

Your macro/micro stuff is a bit off, though.

The normal macro/micro distinction is more about externalities. I can lower my personal driving risk by buying a heavier vehicle. But this doesn't help overall, because the reduced risk for me is offset by increased risk to pedestrians and to other drivers. So the micro effect is beneficial, but the macro effect is negative.

None of that applies to Cioppino. When I skip Cioppino, there is no negative covid externality to offset my local benefit. In fact, the external covid effect (less risk for the waiter) is also beneficial. So the macro effect is aligned with the micro.

If you want to use macro/micro, you need some kind of large scale prisoner's dilemma. Covid case rates don't provide that.

-Buzz Feldstein ( Chicago school. )

You actually got it wrong. Your macro explanation simplifies to "it won't work because we refuse".

I've already granted that. We are stuck with covid because the right wing here refuses to get with the program. See, we agree.

Your macro/micro stuff is a bit off, though.

The normal macro/micro distinction is more about externalities. I can lower my personal driving risk by buying a heavier vehicle. But this doesn't help overall, because the reduced risk for me is offset by increased risk to pedestrians and to other drivers. So the micro effect is beneficial, but the macro effect is negative.

None of that applies to Cioppino. When I skip Cioppino, there is no negative covid externality to offset my local benefit. In fact, the external covid effect (less risk for the waiter) is also beneficial. So the macro effect is aligned with the micro.

If you want to use macro/micro, you need some kind of large scale prisoner's dilemma. Covid case rates don't provide that.

-Buzz Feldstein ( Chicago school. )
No...it won’t work on a mass scale because human beings are social creatures. So one introverted weirdo can keep to himself and once weekly takeout (btw your tournament hypocrisy proves this effect...even you couldn’t do it) but if you amplify that across the country not only do you get the 1 tournament failing (whatever it is for that person) but you also get the other imperfections from folks less virtuous and more sociable and less weird than dad. So some advice which may be useful for individuals fails when you scale it because it can’t be maintained...not because folks are naughty and don’t want to...but because neither they nor the economy are built that way

Why am I not surprised you have yet again declined to layout the Hindsight dad plan?

Back