Bad News Thread

Just as bad as rest of the country? So they did slightly better without torching the economy and kids like California? Better than ny that returned covid cases into nursing homes then tried to cover it up? Better right now than Michigan?
That state and TX shows the rest you may as well have been open.

If we were really planning on being honest we’d also take into account years of life saved but no one is comfortable having THAT conversation
Except Dad4. He's heartless that way. Years of life lost is the valid measure.

Don't forget to include about the non-fatal damage done. Those hospital stays are neither cheap nor pleasant.

Honest is good.

Watch the video. I think of Maher as leftist, but not dogmatically so.
He claims he is a libertarian because it sounds cooler than calling yourself a leftist. Too me he is just an arrogant prick. I do enjoy his show on occasion but he tends to suck up to the opinions of his guests. Some on the Right get all excited when he says something that fits their narrative, but I personally don't give his opinion any weight other than it's entertainment value.

I know many dear friends WHO think were about to enter something like this meme pic. Today, Crush does not see it happening like this. I actually see something 100% opposite.

1618690699681.png

Although my Elitist Grandmother wanted me killed before I saw the light of day, my adopted mommy always told me this, "I was no accident." She actually told me everyday I was special and came hear to help the blind and those who only care about materialism. It's hard to shake and bake the past but it's the only way to live in the future. I'm here for anyone who wants to get in the light :)

1618690858983.png

The covid competent countries are also doing well economically. Better than any part of the US, whether red or blue.

So, if your yardstick is unemployment rate, we should have enforced our borders and public health rules like Australia and New Zealand enforced theirs.

Economically, their policies worked and ours did not.
The disconnect between reality and theory is shocking. What is it about New Zealand and Australia that makes you think we could apply what they did here? Do they have the housing density you suggested is driving the CA cases? Do they have the ingrained idea of dissent and individualism that we have combined with our laissez-faire approach to limiting anything - including legal entry into our country? Do they have strong states' rights? Do they have more sheep than people? Are they an island? Does each have fewer visitors each year than the state of Hawaii? I'll give you credit for consistency, but I'd say your theory of what "could have been" here if we just "followed the rules" has as much basis in reality as Marxist dreams had versus the Soviet and Chinese reality.

Back story. Bob took his car in to see the Doc. Tech told him the following

Auto Repair Tech ((Art)): Bob, their is a 99% chance your car will be fine
Bob: Awesome to hear
ART: However, we highly recommend you service it with a new experimental oil that could actually kill your engine.
Bob: Oh wow, why would I do that?
Art: Well, I was told by all the top dealerships that this is the only way to get rid of all the old cars and get people to buy new ones
Bob: How much?
Art: It's free. Dealerships have it all covered
Bob: ok
Art: You will need to come in for second oil change if the first one doesn;t do the job, FYI :)

1618756030438.png

The disconnect between reality and theory is shocking. What is it about New Zealand and Australia that makes you think we could apply what they did here? Do they have the housing density you suggested is driving the CA cases? Do they have the ingrained idea of dissent and individualism that we have combined with our laissez-faire approach to limiting anything - including legal entry into our country? Do they have strong states' rights? Do they have more sheep than people? Are they an island? Does each have fewer visitors each year than the state of Hawaii? I'll give you credit for consistency, but I'd say your theory of what "could have been" here if we just "followed the rules" has as much basis in reality as Marxist dreams had versus the Soviet and Chinese reality.
The item on that list that really drove it is the “ingrained idea of dissent and individualism.”

On that, we agree.

But it means we ought to take a long look in the mirror. We, as a people, did not do very well when we needed to change our behavior as individuals. We did a bad job writing the rules, and we did a bad job following them.

What happens the next time our country needs some kind of shared sacrifice? Do we all pitch in for 2 months and then give up? In many ways, it is what we did this time.

The item on that list that really drove it is the “ingrained idea of dissent and individualism.”

On that, we agree.

But it means we ought to take a long look in the mirror. We, as a people, did not do very well when we needed to change our behavior as individuals. We did a bad job writing the rules, and we did a bad job following them.

What happens the next time our country needs some kind of shared sacrifice? Do we all pitch in for 2 months and then give up? In many ways, it is what we did this time.
I'd say we don't do very well when we are told what to do and are quick to call BS on leaders who ask one thing and do another. That's enough for many to decide that they will figure out what they want to do on their own. I think it's also significant that, historically anyway, our culture rewards and cultivates risk-taking. A lot of people looked at this virus and decided the "cure" was worse than the risk. I believe the reaction would have been different if it had been this contagious and something like ebola.

Should Europe and Canada also be "looking in the mirror" based on how they have handled their vaccine policy? I think our culture of adaptation and problem-solving is helping with that part of the virus.

I'd say we don't do very well when we are told what to do and are quick to call BS on leaders who ask one thing and do another. That's enough for many to decide that they will figure out what they want to do on their own. I think it's also significant that, historically anyway, our culture rewards and cultivates risk-taking. A lot of people looked at this virus and decided the "cure" was worse than the risk. I believe the reaction would have been different if it had been this contagious and something like ebola.

Should Europe and Canada also be "looking in the mirror" based on how they have handled their vaccine policy? I think our culture of adaptation and problem-solving is helping with that part of the virus.
Europe seems to have waited somewhat longer before saying “screw it”. Otherwise, they were essentially the same.

But how the heck are we going to tackle climate change or pay off the national debt this way? The leaders won’t be any less hypocritical. The cheerleader for action on climate will turn out to have taken a vacation in Bali. Senators who raise taxes to pay the debt will have untaxed offshore accounts. So do we all hop in our SUVs and cheat on our taxes?

Dad4 I feel where you are coming from, I really do. I don't get the "mah freedoms!!!!" People that cry over a piece of cloth over their faces- sorry, just never will and don't care if people hate me.
BUT- neither you nor I can really say much. From a financial aspect, it sounds like you (and I know I,) were not impacted that much. That is not the case for soooo many. Until we can prevent people from losing everything, people are gonna ignore- it's in our instincts to provide.

So thinking we could have/could still do better is somehow a communist ideal?

Dad4 I feel where you are coming from, I really do. I don't get the "mah freedoms!!!!" People that cry over a piece of cloth over their faces- sorry, just never will and don't care if people hate me.
BUT- neither you nor I can really say much. From a financial aspect, it sounds like you (and I know I,) were not impacted that much. That is not the case for soooo many. Until we can prevent people from losing everything, people are gonna ignore- it's in our instincts to provide.
But it's really not about the masks - It's what comes after you are "directed" to wear masks. Funny thing: Mask mandates lifted in AZ, there are still masks everywhere, especially in service businesses. Florida is the same. Texas I'm sure is the same. They are open, businesses are trying to make a comeback, keep livelihoods, etc.

This isn't black and white, plenty of gray to be found in how to navigate a pandemic in a modern society. Shutting down economies is not the answer, never will be. It's obvious lockdowns don't work - pull all the science you want (not you, but you know what I mean). If lockdowns worked, there would be evidence of it. And you can't compare tiny island nations to countries that are involved and intertwined in the global economy. Also can't trust countries who don't value their citizen's rights. It doesn't work that way.

But it's really not about the masks - It's what comes after you are "directed" to wear masks. Funny thing: Mask mandates lifted in AZ, there are still masks everywhere, especially in service businesses. Florida is the same. Texas I'm sure is the same. They are open, businesses are trying to make a comeback, keep livelihoods, etc.

This isn't black and white, plenty of gray to be found in how to navigate a pandemic in a modern society. Shutting down economies is not the answer, never will be. It's obvious lockdowns don't work - pull all the science you want (not you, but you know what I mean). If lockdowns worked, there would be evidence of it. And you can't compare tiny island nations to countries that are involved and intertwined in the global economy. Also can't trust countries who don't value their citizen's rights. It doesn't work that way.
All fair points- it's not an easy situation and I don't pretend to know what's right!

South Korea, Taiwan, and Japan are major economic powers, densely populated, democracies, and deeply intwined the world economy.

All three managed to drive R below 1 and keep it there. I suspect all three have suffered less economic damage than we have.

Call it a lockdown if you like. But their policies worked and ours did not.

Back