AYSO United Expands to San Diego

Tryouts will depend on the particular set of volunteers. Our tryouts were heavy on 1v1 and cone drills. GK was pretty long, too. 20 shots per keeper.

The manual does specify 1v1 and cone drills as part of the exam. 20 shots per keeper is more substantial than I've seen, but still also nothing even for a younger's keeper.

The last thing this area needs is another club! Enough already!!

To be fair, North County Matrix has been around. I understand this is basically a rebranding of the existing Club. They also primarily have had paid coaches over the past couple of years. Although there has been a lot of turnover at the top of the club.

My opinion, it’s time they go back to rec soccer and let City SC San Marcos and Albion North fight it out. I am putting my bet on City SC San Marcos. They have brought in a lot of good coaches over the past 2 years. Eventually San Marcos should consolidate into one club. It would be best for you the community, the players and the families.

Some insights in to the AYSO United Club Soccer program which has a lot of teams in SoCal, NoCal, AZ, and other states. https://www.aysounited.org
*Fees usually run under $1,000.00 and not $2000 like many of the clubs. Club sponsor is New Balance/soccer.com.
*All DOC+coaches have USSF licenses as well as additional certificates from AYSO and other international soccer federations. Coaches held to a higher standard of conduct and will be dismissed for not following core values of Club.
*Club guarantees 50 percent playing time during games for players which is now being adopted by USSF grassroots soccer.
*United Clubs compete in traditional CA club leagues,+state cup. Starting to compete in some showcase tourney's with select teams made up of players from SoCal, NoCal, and AZ. College and Pro pathway launched recently.
*United hubs have designated systems of play so teams can transition to a 4-3-3 system.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers but show me where fees are under $1k per year for anything but the U8 age group and under. Looks like $2500 per year after all in. And every club has some sponsor for uniforms, doubt New Balance or Soccer.com is doing anything special for them to reduce costs.

See below from the AYSO United Bay Area site.

What is the cost
The cost for the program is $1,450. It covers team activities and other costs during the fall and spring season.

5) Are there any other costs?
Yes, there are some other costs you might/will occur. These include the following:
  • Uniforms. All players require a uniform, if your uniform fits from last year, you can use that.
  • Tournaments. Any tournaments you as a team enter will require you to pay the entry costs.
  • Camps and specialized clinics. These are not compulsory, but if you wish to attend, there will be an additional cost
  • Head Coach travel and accommodation for overnight tournaments. If your team attends a tournament that requires an overnight stay, the team will cover the cost of the Head coach accommodation if necessary.

If you can pay $1450 for a year of club that is amazing. In the OC area clubs cost between $2700 and $3200. In this area AYSO has been playing in Coast league, but our teams have come up against them in tournaments. In my experience, they do not play kick ball or "favor direct". Each one we have played has followed closely the direction of Bright and work a very nice spread field, possession, style. Not afraid to pass backwards, switch the field, work the give and go, etc. The did tend to be a bit on the smaller side and a bit less athletic than "the big clubs", but that's to be expected since most of their teams were Silver or below.

If my kids were just starting in club, and not already 6 years in, I'd definitely consider them as a great "first club" option.

Back