AYSO United Expands to San Diego

Launching during a pandemic seems like an uphill battle. Do they have fields?

the tricky thing especially is that United has certain tryout protocols ayso requires to keep things fair and meritorious. Kids are recruited not only from other clubs but from extras, all stars, and core but most core programs haven’t been training and extras and all star selections didn’t take place last year. Even is some ayso regions are practicing, it’s unlikely all the regions covered by a particular United training hub are or that all the kids who might want to play are. Then there are potential coach parents, some talent of which may not want to do it. Adds to the complications of this more than somebody launching a new club and trying to poach coaches and players.

What is the difference between AYSO Matrix and AYSO United?
One big difference, AYSO Matrix is designed to be a volunteer organization at the coach level, the vast majority of Matrix clubs operate with volunteer coaches.
AYSO United allows for the flexibility of teams to have volunteer coaches or paid coaches.

North County and San Marcos is already over-saturated with clubs between City SC - San Marcos (San Marcos Revolution), Albion - North (San Marcos United), FC Golden State - Carlsbad, City SC - Carlsbad, Encinitas Express, FC Heat, Vista Storm, Cardiff Sockers (Mustangs) and Oceanside Breakers all within an easy-drive 10 mile radius. From what I've seen, AYSO United is well over $1500 per year which is comparable with the rest of the clubs mentioned, not the huge savings one would expect from the AYSO name. Not sure why they would try to put their time and effort into this area but good luck.

North County and San Marcos is already over-saturated with clubs between City SC - San Marcos (San Marcos Revolution), Albion - North (San Marcos United), FC Golden State - Carlsbad, City SC - Carlsbad, Encinitas Express, FC Heat, Vista Storm, Cardiff Sockers (Mustangs) and Oceanside Breakers all within an easy-drive 10 mile radius. From what I've seen, AYSO United is well over $1500 per year which is comparable with the rest of the clubs mentioned, not the huge savings one would expect from the AYSO name. Not sure why they would try to put their time and effort into this area but good luck.
Particularly on the Younger’s side, they are able to build competitive teams even in really crowded areas because they can pick from the large ayso core base (along with extras and all stars). It essentially gives them the first crack at kids in ayso (over a variety of regions) who want to move up to club or who may never have considered club or maybe leaned to another travel sport and it’s a very large pool to pick from. Also unlike some clubs, given the tryout protocols, their emphasis seems to be less about having kids skilled at any particular position than about recruiting good athletes and taking their skills next level. It does mean their styles tend to favor more direct soccer at least at the younger levels.

Particularly on the Younger’s side, they are able to build competitive teams even in really crowded areas because they can pick from the large ayso core base (along with extras and all stars). It essentially gives them the first crack at kids in ayso (over a variety of regions) who want to move up to club or who may never have considered club or maybe leaned to another travel sport and it’s a very large pool to pick from. Also unlike some clubs, given the tryout protocols, their emphasis seems to be less about having kids skilled at any particular position than about recruiting good athletes and taking their skills next level. It does mean their styles tend to favor more direct soccer at least at the younger levels.

I'm not sure I follow that reasoning. Did you come to the "favor more direct soccer" conclusion by logic or by direct observation?

I think this can be said for the majority of clubs. Especially at the younger ages. Coaches get super excited when a fast kid or a tall kids shows up. And if a kid is a foot taller than the rest and can run fast- Watch out.

I think this can be said for the majority of clubs. Especially at the younger ages. Coaches get super excited when a fast kid or a tall kids shows up. And if a kid is a foot taller than the rest and can run fast- Watch out.

Agree, the thing about the AYSO United and Extras tests though is that they tend to favor kids who are natural strikers. It's been a couple years now since I've seen anyone go through them, but the tests for example didn't have a very long section on defending against a 1 v 1. For the goalkeeper portion one time, they only gave 5 minutes (and between the 4 candidates I think my kid got 4 shots, only 2 of which were on target) and he wasn't even given time to change into gloves. By contrast, the running portion was 1/3 of the tryout.

I'm sure it varies a lot by region, age group and coach.

Yes, I agree, but the starting place is the guidance that AYSO puts out for the tests, since a lot of AYSO operations is manual driven. The variable is how each region/coach chooses to use that instruction.

Yes, I agree, but the starting place is the guidance that AYSO puts out for the tests, since a lot of AYSO operations is manual driven. The variable is how each region/coach chooses to use that instruction.

Is that your own theory, or direct observation?

Is that your own theory, or direct observation?

I've been through the coach thing with core (3 different players), the referee thing in core/extras/united tournaments (including the intermediate license), 1 player in core/extras, and 2 players in core/extras/united, and my brother coached DN in extras. AYSO is very manual driven.

Agree, the thing about the AYSO United and Extras tests though is that they tend to favor kids who are natural strikers. It's been a couple years now since I've seen anyone go through them, but the tests for example didn't have a very long section on defending against a 1 v 1. For the goalkeeper portion one time, they only gave 5 minutes (and between the 4 candidates I think my kid got 4 shots, only 2 of which were on target) and he wasn't even given time to change into gloves. By contrast, the running portion was 1/3 of the tryout.
Tryouts will depend on the particular set of volunteers. Our tryouts were heavy on 1v1 and cone drills. GK was pretty long, too. 20 shots per keeper.

Back