Athletes vs NCAA

I am well aware of the benefits my daughter receives from title 9. (and might receive, when she is older.)

That doesn’t mean I expect some other kid to play for free so that my kid can get the benefit of a scholarship. For better or worse, there are 10,000 people willing to pay money to see him play. There are about six people willing to pay to see my kid play.

Therefore, the other kid earned it, and my kid did not. The money should go to him.

Sexism? Arguably. If you don’t like it, go buy some Angel City FC season tickets and a replica Jersey. (or Liga MX Feminil, if that is closer.).
Too much to disagree with here, not the least of which is the purpose of college and college athletics (college is not and should not be professional). But yes, it is sexist.

Too much to disagree with here, not the least of which is the purpose of college and college athletics (college is not and should not be professional). But yes, it is sexist.
I read the opinion as clearly safeguarding the distinction of amateur vs. professional athletes while also allowing creative ways for amateur athletes to get paid. Nothing in the opinion makes them professionals.

I read the opinion as clearly safeguarding the distinction of amateur vs. professional athletes while also allowing creative ways for amateur athletes to get paid. Nothing in the opinion makes them professionals.
Yep. I was answering dad4 regarding his own opinion. I didn’t say a word about the ruling.

I am well aware of the benefits my daughter receives from title 9. (and might receive, when she is older.)

That doesn’t mean I expect some other kid to play for free so that my kid can get the benefit of a scholarship. For better or worse, there are 10,000 people willing to pay money to see him play. There are about six people willing to pay to see my kid play.

Therefore, the other kid earned it, and my kid did not. The money should go to him.

Sexism? Arguably. If you don’t like it, go buy some Angel City FC season tickets and a replica Jersey. (or Liga MX Feminil, if that is closer.).
I hear you dad but that seems harsh. Their is no basketball player or football player in the first place without a woman to carry that stud 9 months and then raise the boy for 18 years, for free. It's called sharing. Share with the girls so they can play for the love of the game. They dont need to get paid, they just want to play for free at school so they too can improve their lot in life. Sorry, but you come across like the man that you are.

I see two possible outcomes:
  1. College athletes can market their NIL and get paid. No salary or additional payments to revenue players. Title IX keeps women's sports in tact.
  2. Revenue sports (football, men's b-ball, and maybe women's b-ball) pay their players from the revenue generated. In this scenario many lower level colleges will drop these sports so maybe just 25 to 50 programs left. In order to avoid Title IX concerns these programs will leave the NCAA and will somehow need to not be associated with any federal funding. Other wise they would need to provide equal opportunity to women and their is no way they can afford to do both. All other sports are defunded. Not just scholarships being lost but also no money for coaches, travel, uniforms, trainers and facilities. Some schools will fill the void with club sports paid by the students that want to play.

I see two possible outcomes:
  1. College athletes can market their NIL and get paid. No salary or additional payments to revenue players. Title IX keeps women's sports in tact.
  2. Revenue sports (football, men's b-ball, and maybe women's b-ball) pay their players from the revenue generated. In this scenario many lower level colleges will drop these sports so maybe just 25 to 50 programs left. In order to avoid Title IX concerns these programs will leave the NCAA and will somehow need to not be associated with any federal funding. Other wise they would need to provide equal opportunity to women and their is no way they can afford to do both. All other sports are defunded. Not just scholarships being lost but also no money for coaches, travel, uniforms, trainers and facilities. Some schools will fill the void with club sports paid by the students that want to play.
I sure hope things go in the way of #1.

1. Revenue sports (football, men's b-ball, and maybe women's b-ball) pay their players from the revenue generated. In this scenario many lower level colleges will drop these sports so maybe just 25 to 50 programs left. In order to avoid Title IX concerns these programs will leave the NCAA and will somehow need to not be associated with any federal funding. Other wise they would need to provide equal opportunity to women and their is no way they can afford to do both. All other sports are defunded. Not just scholarships being lost but also no money for coaches, travel, uniforms, trainers and facilities. Some schools will fill the void with club sports paid by the students that want to play.
Title IX has nothing to do with the NCAA, it is a federal law that the NCAA makes a poor faith effort to implement well enough to avoid most lawsuits.

Title IX has nothing to do with the NCAA, it is a federal law that the NCAA makes a poor faith effort to implement well enough to avoid most lawsuits.
Well if the top programs pay revenue generating players they will need to figure out how to avoid federal funding since I can't see them having any money left to provide equal opportunity to women.

You’re actually playing the student athlete card?

I’ll call them students when their graduation rate improves. Until then, they look a lot like unpaid minor league players.

Unpaid minor leaguers whose labor supports million dollar salaries for other people.

Nobody goes to see an offensive lineman play yet he may be a 5star recruit. He and his parents will expect to get paid too. If you pay one you need to pay the other. It will come down to accounting and Bernie Madoff could cook books.

What if you are Jordan Brown (4star recruit) and end up an Nevada for the money. You flame out and average 5pts a game. Now you transfer to Arizona for maybe more money to average 9pts a game... you are a 4 star recruit losing minutes and now costing the University cash.. do they now cut your scholarship. You all know scholarships are year to year. Who is responsible?

You’re actually playing the student athlete card?

I’ll call them students when their graduation rate improves. Until then, they look a lot like unpaid minor league players.

Unpaid minor leaguers whose labor supports million dollar salaries for other people.

And, as usual, the non-revenue sports are at the top, and football is dead last. 78%, even after doing everything they can to goose the numbers.

For example, NCAA excludes transfers before they compute the numbers. Admit a weak student who can barely keep a C average in watered down classes, and then transfers to JuCo? No problem. As long as he bails before he is completely ineligible, GSR sys you don’t have to count him.

This is why your number says “graduation success rate” instead of “graduation rate”. The NCAA noticed that their numbers looked bad, so they came up with a new number which sounds better. Actual graduation rates are lower. (Even if true, a 22% drop out rate is nothing to brag about.)

And, as usual, the non-revenue sports are at the top, and football is dead last. 78%, even after doing everything they can to goose the numbers.

For example, NCAA excludes transfers before they compute the numbers. Admit a weak student who can barely keep a C average in watered down classes, and then transfers to JuCo? No problem. As long as he bails before he is completely ineligible, GSR sys you don’t have to count him.

This is why your number says “graduation success rate” instead of “graduation rate”. The NCAA noticed that their numbers looked bad, so they came up with a new number which sounds better. Actual graduation rates are lower. (Even if true, a 22% drop out rate is nothing to brag about.)

They do much better than the average college student.

It seems like the push from the men’s bball and ftball players that started this boils down to: we want to be pros. We want a share of the money we bring in from tv/ticket/jersey sales. The ways they are getting there are varied (NIL, this latest ruling, etc). They want to be paid.

the ncaa is fundamentally against that so this will continue to be a war of paper cuts trying to move the line towards being pros vs the status quo.

if I’m the ncaa I do this:
All div 1 sports are full scholarship head count sports. No more partial scholarships or walk ons. Football is reduced to 65.
soccer gets 20. (Or whatever)
Much of the inequality issue comes from athletes putting in the same hours and workload of a full ride kid but still paying for school. Solve that first.

lift all age restrictions on professional leagues. You want to be a pro? Awesome. Go for it. No one is making you go to college to play. Go find a league that pays a 18 year old and chase it.
I don’t know how you solve NIL issues. It’s so slippery. You’re handing over recruiting to the biggest booster who can offer marketing opportunities to recruits. Good luck schools regulating that. And when the QB or point guard is taking in thousands per year from the billboard advertising the local Ford dealership how will his offensive lineman whose getting nothing feel? Uh try completing this pass from your back.

ditto for paying them. How do you define market value? PLUS who was the quarterback for Alabama in 2014? No one knows. They are selling out even if my mom is their quarterback. Duke basketball season tickets are sold out for years to come with no idea who they will have playing. Tickets sales and espn contracts are valuable because of the school and fan base. So sure Zion helped Duke. But Duke for sure helped Zion. If he went to metro state in podunkville with 1 game per year on espn4 is he still as big a name? No. So how do you define his market value at a school?

good luck untangling title ix implications.

full ride kids get education paid for, extra money each year, nutrition, tutoring, internships, travel, gear, medical care, weight training, development, marketing and housing paid for. Plus provided extra food on top of their scholarship and cash. Plus extra money for clothes and travel home if needed.
find me a college kid who has all that covered and works 20 hours a week and then we can talk about paying college athletes.

I would prefer a solution which separates revenue sports from non revenue sports.

Non revenue sports would have scholarships, salary caps for all associated staff, ticket price caps, and spending caps.

Revenue sports would look like minor leagues. Player salaries, OSHA, disability insurance, and so on.

Football and field hockey are not similar. They really need to be under different sets of rules.

I would prefer a solution which separates revenue sports from non revenue sports.

Non revenue sports would have scholarships, salary caps for all associated staff, ticket price caps, and spending caps.

Revenue sports would look like minor leagues. Player salaries, OSHA, disability insurance, and so on.

Football and field hockey are not similar. They really need to be under different sets of rules.
Separating revenue sports from non-revenue sports ignores the decades worth of unequal promotion and opportunities for women's sports and will never satisfy Title IX.

Separating revenue sports from non-revenue sports ignores the decades worth of unequal promotion and opportunities for women's sports and will never satisfy Title IX.
There is no doubt it does support women's sports. But it supports women's sports with the stolen wages of young male athletes in football and basketball.

The school sports system, as of 1971, blatantly discriminated against women. But these kids were not alive then. I’m pretty sure they didn’t do it.

Field hockey was offered as a women's equivalent of football in response to Title IX pressure. Sort of.

How come no men have filed a Title IX complaint about the non-availability of college men's field hockey?

There is no doubt it does support women's sports. But it supports women's sports with the stolen wages of young male athletes in football and basketball.

The school sports system, as of 1971, blatantly discriminated against women. But these kids were not alive then. I’m pretty sure they didn’t do it.
None of those young male athletes would even have a place to play without massive public support over the years. In addition, most football and basketball programs at publicly supported schools do not make money and are in fact supported by public funding and student fees. Since the majority of college students are now female, a pretty strong argument could be made for having more scholarships for female athletes. The school sports system, as of 2021 still blatantly discriminates against women.

Back