Arsenal Challenge 2020 in Arizona 10/9-10/11

@Hodari thoughts about track and soccer? I know Fifi is big on both.
Luis, show me a duel threat soccer and track star and I will believe. Fifi might be the one to prove Tad and me wrong. I will never tell someone it can;t be done, I just do believe until I can see it with my own eyes. Doubting Thomas so to speak........

Luis and Hodari, I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy or a No way Nick. Tad told me about one of his goats in the late 90s. Duel threat in HS and destroyed her hammy in a race and never did soccer or track after that.

Isn’t great when the boys team parents complain about playing against girls and then the girls come out and give them a whooping. lol. It happens a lot :p Miki is another special 2010 player. Built very similar to fabi. She was the Slammers 2010 goat. Now with Blues.
If you're concerned about over use get her out of that crappy arena soccer. It's a waste and an injury waiting to happen. Tracks a great move if you can cut back the soccer. A 3hr track practice is more then enough. No need to drag her to arena soccer after for 2 40min games.

I’ve been reading that doing multiple sports is good to prevent injuries. She’s talking about trying volleyball next.
Multiple sports absolutely helps. Our PT gave us good advice to look at the leg motion involved. If a sport has a lot of quick stops and cutting, it will cause the same kind of injury. So, you can’t cross train with soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. They are all doing the same thing.

We added swimming and biking, and cut back on the maximum number of hours per day and per week of soccer. That was for knee, not ankle.

Multiple sports absolutely helps. Our PT gave us good advice to look at the leg motion involved. If a sport has a lot of quick stops and cutting, it will cause the same kind of injury. So, you can’t cross train with soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. They are all doing the same thing.

We added swimming and biking, and cut back on the maximum number of hours per day and per week of soccer. That was for knee, not ankle.

Multiple sports is good when they are done in different seasons. But to be a 3 sport athlete while playing all 3 sports at the same time- bad idea.

The reason why I put her in track is to prevent injuries from repetitive movements from the same sport. She over trained in footwork skills this year due to lock down and had not played enough games. It started with her left ankle, out for 3 weeks, then came back went to a tournament injured her right ankle and was out another 2 weeks. It was so frustrating. I put her in track and all they’ve been doing is strengthening their legs and ankles. 3 days after track practice and all her ankles are back to normal. No more pain and she is running better than ever. Track was the cure to her weak ankles.

Put her in dance when it starts up again. Giving her more body control in a low-impact activity will be much, much more productive than just running more. Stamina at 9 doesn't translate to stamina at 15, but overall body control does.

Multiple sports is good when they are done in different seasons. But to be a 3 sport athlete while playing all 3 sports at the same time- bad idea.
Not a 3 sport athlete. 1 sport athlete who takes a recreational bike ride or a swim on her days off. She doesn’t actually compete in the others.

Still injury risk?

she’s been talking about dance for a while. Right now it’s track since it’s outdoors and one can social distance but as soon as they open dance classes, for sure I will. I definitely agree with the dance classes.
You’ll never make everyone happy. One guy says to do multiple sports. Another says yes but not those 2. Another says those 2 but not at the same time. A doctor once told me “if she wants to do it and can handle it mentally and physically, let her do it.” I asked again, are you sure doctor, some people think I over do it with my kid playing 3-4 games a weekend and training every day. He answered “the mistake people make is not letting them take a break WHEN THEY ASK FOR IT! But if she’s capable, let her do it.”

You’ll never make everyone happy. One guy says to do multiple sports. Another says yes but not those 2. Another says those 2 but not at the same time. A doctor once told me “if she wants to do it and can handle it mentally and physically, let her do it.” I asked again, are you sure doctor, some people think I over do it with my kid playing 3-4 games a weekend and training every day. He answered “the mistake people make is not letting them take a break WHEN THEY ASK FOR IT! But if she’s capable, let her do it.”
Anyone who refers to "ability to handle it mentally" sounds more like a coach or a tiger dad than a medical professional.

Mine needed someone to say no. She was having too much fun to turn down a chance at extra minutes. No way she'd back off, even when her legs were screaming at her. Maybe yours is better at self regulating.

Good luck to your kid.

Anyone who refers to "ability to handle it mentally" sounds more like a coach or a tiger dad than a medical professional.

Mine needed someone to say no. She was having too much fun to turn down a chance at extra minutes. No way she'd back off, even when her legs were screaming at her. Maybe yours is better at self regulating.

Good luck to your kid.
Just curious, so you stopped her from getting extra minutes for what reason?

Just curious, so you stopped her from getting extra minutes for what reason?
Serious leg pain. Joints, not muscles. Doctor and PT both politely told me she was going to have permanent damage if she kept it up. So we backed waaaay off and just gave her body time to heal. Best decision we ever made.

Peace, by the way. Hope you get some good games this season.

Here is a good explanation.

Participation in multiple sports can improve coordination and muscle control. Performing a variety of movements, such as during varying sports, can help developing athletes gain proper skills. These skills may provide prevention against injury. For example, baseball players are required to run (sprint), overhead throw, squat, and lunge during play. In contrast, soccer players are required to run (longer duration with sprinting included), kick and pivot. Therefore participation in both baseball and soccer would place different demands on a young athlete’s musculoskeletal system.

Serious leg pain. Joints, not muscles. Doctor and PT both politely told me she was going to have permanent damage if she kept it up. So we backed waaaay off and just gave her body time to heal. Best decision we ever made.

Peace, by the way. Hope you get some good games this season.
I agree that as the kids get older the workload must reduce greatly. There is a reason that the tournaments extend sometimes to 4 days, 1 game per day. Definitely quality over quantity. I see that myself now, which is why the 3-4 game weekends will most likely be gone other than for tournaments. But at U10, let them play!

I agree that as the kids get older the workload must reduce greatly. There is a reason that the tournaments extend sometimes to 4 days, 1 game per day. Definitely quality over quantity. I see that myself now, which is why the 3-4 game weekends will most likely be gone other than for tournaments. But at U10, let them play!
We are in the 2010 thread after all!!! So speaking for 2010’s only. My daughter suffered her first major injury last year, and that completely changed my mind about the amount of games she should be playing on any given day/weekend. However, that had nothing to do with her playing and training a lot when she was you ger. It was a contact injury. I don’t regret at all anything we did from U7-U11, I believe it all made her better. As the girls age, the parents will learn about their kids and adjust.

We are in the 2010 thread after all!!! So speaking for 2010’s only. My daughter suffered her first major injury last year, and that completely changed my mind about the amount of games she should be playing on any given day/weekend. However, that had nothing to do with her playing and training a lot when she was you ger. It was a contact injury. I don’t regret at all anything we did from U7-U11, I believe it all made her better. As the girls age, the parents will learn about their kids and adjust.
Miles accumulate over time. They all eventually catch up. Some are fortunate to avoid injury and surgerys during their playing days but late into their 30's and early 40's when the sports done the wheels start falling off.

I just dont think theres enough knowledgeable parents or those who have actually played at a high level in any sport growing up to understand the negative impact of over training at a young age. The workload can obviously increase when you get older and the body can mature but you then additionally have the resources for proper recovery. None of these kids from 7-16 years old are going in for treatment after every training session to make sure their bodys on point and have access to their own personal trainer whos constantly working on muscle deficenties to avoid injury. This is why you see the smart ones on here stress to slow down and not over work your kid. They aren't professionals with access to around the clock treatment but they do all have access to days off and lazy days spent off their feet. Utilize them and seriously realize and understand if you believe in your kid let them rest. @Luis Andres advice as a friend you need to let your GOAT shut it down for a few months or those ankle injuries will turn into knee injuries from over compensation and never go away. Her body needs rest and screwing around with marginal and younger competition just to play is a bad idea.

Her leg injury was as U7, playing up into U9 and occasionally U10.

You can overdo it as a little kid, too.

Back