Are their any decent Soccer Clubs Left?

They ALBION Sc has been notorious for years of claiming millions in "scholarships"

Ha your serious? You have to be a Albion coach or a U-little Mommy or Daddy to actually even say this kinda crap.
Come on we (most of us) get it "why?" because they are using "smoke and mirrors" marketing to make it seem as if they land a huge amount of girls in college. Lets get real here.. 99% of every scholarship is based mostly on academics and then they give out a small % for athletics.

And NO Albion does not get to take credit for these kids that are earning a scholarship mostly based on academics! AND MY GOSH did you really say "doesn't team sports play a LARGE roll in developing a child's work ethic and character" HA HA HA HA HA HA are you serious? No not in my home, God, my wife and I are responsible for those traits. Soccer and the coaches are nothing but a sport to exercise the traits and personality a persons child has been taught in their home! Everything starts at home.

You know what our children will remember about team sports / club sports when they are 30 years old.. a few teammates, a few fun trips doing crazy things at the hotels, restaurants and some year end parties. The games will all be a blur the coaches will all be a blur. This sport is not as important to the kids in the same reasons the coaches, clubs and parents think it is.

Nice analysis, although slightly worried about you passing on all of your traits. I disagree with your stance. There's lots of research into the positive impact of team sports on the development of children. What I am is irrelevant although non of the titles you mentioned. You know there's plenty of people out there who "think" they know!

Nice analysis, although slightly worried about you passing on all of your traits. I disagree with your stance. There's lots of research into the positive impact of team sports on the development of children. What I am is irrelevant although non of the titles you mentioned. You know there's plenty of people out there who "think" they know!
I agree, I do not want all my traits passed on that is why i did not say I was "passing on" my traits but I did say we "taught" in our home. And yes I agree that sports if managed correctly and kept in perspective in the big picture of life can be a great tool for helping to teach a child good examples of hard work and patience along with life lessons of how good and bad people can be.

Why wouldn't a club post every player who goes to college on their website? They should be proud of all of their kids, not just the one's who achieve a soccer scholarship? Doesn't team sports play a large role in developing a child's work ethic and character?
They are crafty and sneaky with their claims. Definitely a bit shady at best. Albion says:
"We take unbelieveable [sic] pride in developing our players with over 98 percent of all players reaching the college level on scholarship."

Linking development of our players to scholarship would lead most people to think that the development they are referring to is as soccer players.

98% scholarship rate is a hard to believe stat, but not when you look a little deeper, at their definition of "scholarship" (from a Gotsoccer.com article):
"For many, these are full four- and five-year scholarships based on academics and financial aid as well as athletic ability."
When you start counting financial aid as a scholarship, it makes more sense how 98% of players going to college have a scholarship. Without distinguishing between athletic scholarship vs. academic scholarship vs. financial aid, it is deceiving when posted on a club soccer website referencing development of the player.

They are crafty and sneaky with their claims. Definitely a bit shady at best. Albion says:
"We take unbelieveable [sic] pride in developing our players with over 98 percent of all players reaching the college level on scholarship."

Linking development of our players to scholarship would lead most people to think that the development they are referring to is as soccer players.

98% scholarship rate is a hard to believe stat, but not when you look a little deeper, at their definition of "scholarship" (from a Gotsoccer.com article):
"For many, these are full four- and five-year scholarships based on academics and financial aid as well as athletic ability."
When you start counting financial aid as a scholarship, it makes more sense how 98% of players going to college have a scholarship. Without distinguishing between athletic scholarship vs. academic scholarship vs. financial aid, it is deceiving when posted on a club soccer website referencing development of the player.

And trust me every single thing that club post and portrays is 100% scripted and gone over with a fine tooth comb by several people on staff. Albion Sc is a marketing machine that is on a mission to market their club into the largest club in the US!
The big Blue machine is on a roll. That group could sell ice cubes to Eskimoes!
Good for them because at the end of the day this sport is nothing more than a business and they are living the American dream by becoming more sucsessful every year.
That DOC is not driving a $187,000 Range Rover because he is bad in business

So here is my question since he's not bad at business how will he elevate the girls side to Mach the success of the boys? Boys DA albion are a lot better than surf- he likes to win. What types of plans are happening?

It was a general question- one that wasn't answered. Trolls trolls tonight bless your hearts.
Sorry I did not respond last night. I am not a regular on hear becaus
So here is my question since he's not bad at business how will he elevate the girls side to Mach the success of the boys? Boys DA albion are a lot better than surf- he likes to win. What types of plans are happening?
Simple. Marketing sell product and product generates revenue to buy homes in La Jolla, Range Rovers, and pay for players above what the DA is suppose to provide.

Sorry I did not respond last night. I am not a regular on hear becaus

Simple. Marketing sell product and product generates revenue to buy homes in La Jolla, Range Rovers, and pay for players above what the DA is suppose to provide.

I was genuinely interested- you have good insights. Thanks for all the info

They wont ever have a successful girls program until they finish phasing out the coaching staff they allow to run it now.

So you don't think it's a player talent issue you think it's coaching only?
I don't know about that....

Oh no I think it's a talent issue as much as a coaching issue. The problem is when you ignore your girls side for so long and allow B rated coaches with C rated business sense to run your girls side it takes some effort to repair the mess you ignored for so long.
Good coaches attract good players and so far we can all see what that has brought Albion. Look at all the movement in coaching a titles in the past 3 years on the girls side. Lots of movement or turn over in employee's is always a Red flag in any business. Of course sometimes it is a good thing and other times it is a bad thing, in this case it is both.

I think the potential money revenue left on the table has caught the attention of the man in charge and he wants more of it! He is working slowly in phasing out the hacks and bringing in a better staff on the girls side, they are like sitting ducks waiting to see he gets demoted or kicked to the curb each year.
He has everything planned out down to the last penny and will use everyone until they don't fit into his master plan any longer.
This guy does not miss a thing, he just weighs out the Pro's & Cons and acts when he is ready. Maybe 2-3 years the Albion girls teams will be something to talk about but as of now you get one or maybe two worth a mention on a good day.

Ok I find it hard to believe that he is actually claiming 98% even if financial aid is included. Can you point us to that article?

If you go back 15-20 years just as NG was coming on the scene, Albion was a small club and their boys side was not that good either. (although I personally think the men that ran Peninsula/Albion before him were/are great men). What he did is realize that he had a goldmine having private schools and wealthy neighborhoods all around him. Thus, he started marketing to them and selling the dream that if you take privates and stick with us you will get into the college of your dreams. The money he was making was used to bring boys from the South Bay to pad the boys teams and thus those teams got better. From there the club grew rapidly.

Overlap, Is a "merit scholarship" an academic scholarship or sports scholarship?

D3 can not offer "sports" scholarships however, if your DD is being recruited by a D2 or D3, any scholarship money will be listed as "Merit" however, don't be fooled, if the sports program wants your DD, the money is there, you just have to know how to ask. We used a recruiter for that portion and it worked very well, we only confirmed with the coach and he asked if it was enough ;) I was shocked at the amount our DD was given, it almost makes the college the same as a UC system school, better education through smaller class sizes and we met the VP and BOD members from the school, very pleased.

Oh no I think it's a talent issue as much as a coaching issue. The problem is when you ignore your girls side for so long and allow B rated coaches with C rated business sense to run your girls side it takes some effort to repair the mess you ignored for so long.
Good coaches attract good players and so far we can all see what that has brought Albion. Look at all the movement in coaching a titles in the past 3 years on the girls side. Lots of movement or turn over in employee's is always a Red flag in any business. Of course sometimes it is a good thing and other times it is a bad thing, in this case it is both.

I think the potential money revenue left on the table has caught the attention of the man in charge and he wants more of it! He is working slowly in phasing out the hacks and bringing in a better staff on the girls side, they are like sitting ducks waiting to see he gets demoted or kicked to the curb each year.
He has everything planned out down to the last penny and will use everyone until they don't fit into his master plan any longer.
This guy does not miss a thing, he just weighs out the Pro's & Cons and acts when he is ready. Maybe 2-3 years the Albion girls teams will be something to talk about but as of now you get one or maybe two worth a mention on a good day.
Not an Albion homer, but there are some great players on the 99 team. I agree with you on the coaching.

Back