AR Assaulted

One of the ARs at our game this weekend got assaulted by one of the opposing teams coaches. At conclusion of game the coach walked all the way across the field and confronted the ref crew along the far sideline and the coach shoved the AR with two hands and then got in his face pointing at him. Other two refs then got between them and things settled down.

The coach was complaining about calls the entire game and yelling at AR across the field. The coach then just stood at midfield along the sideline and stared down the AR across the field during the second half. The AR flagged down the CR and the CR stopped the game and came over to chat. From the body language you could tell that the AR was explaining to the CR what was happening and probably either wanted coach ejected or calmed down. The CR didn't do anything. CR was pretty young (probably mid 20s) and didn't seem to have the guts to go confront the angry coach. The AR couldn't believe he wasn't getting the support from his CR (AR shook his head when CR didn't do anything).

I was expecting the AR to call the police but nobody did. I could hear some mention of pulling the coaches card. What would you have done in this situation? This was the first time I ever saw a referee get assaulted at a game. I really wish I had videotaped it because I saw the coach walking towards the referees, but an assault happening was the last thing on my mind.

Tournament Info
California Super Cup - SoCal Elite
Saturday June 8

First, under regular law, the coach committed battery when he put hands on and shoved the referee. Secondly, the coach violated California State Law, in regards to assault on a sports official. This violates California Penal Code 243.8. This violation could result in up to one year in jail, or up to a $2,000 fine, or both.

The federal 'SafeSport Act' is now in effect, which covers all forms of abuse, and youth referees are covered under this federal law ( I am presuming that the AR was under 18, to which the federal law applies ). The AR was subjected to physical and mental abuse, by law, this has to be reported to the league for immediate action. The federal law designates ALL parties who are in a position dealing with youth athletes to be 'mandated reporters'. They MUST report any form of abuse to their organization.

If you are unaware of this new federal law, you may see information about it on my website:
http://www.yatahoy.com/safesport-ac...ing-handling-abuse-in-soccer-abuse-in-soccer/

Referees should also be aware that referees are included as 'mandatory reporters, as listed in the SafeSport Referee Manual, which I have uploaded, for those that wish to review it.

The coach needs to be reported, and their behavior 'corrected'. If nothing is done, the coach will potentially continue to attack referees, which is not acceptable.

Attachments

• USSF-SAFESPORT REFEREE MANUAL1.4_5.28.2019.pdf
    628.8 KB · Views: 2
Need to correct an item. A 'mandated reporter' is any member of a soccer organization ( coach, assistant coach, team staff, organization board member, any party hired to work for the organization, in any capacity) who has interaction with youth athletes, who are under 18. A non-mandated reporter, who saw an incident, could notify the U.S. Center for SafeSport, using their incident report line, or notify a member of their soccer organization, who has a mandated duty, under the law, to report the incident.

Well, that means it would not fall into the 'abuse' category, for the SafeSport Act, as the party was an adult, who is not covered by the law. It still means that it was an act which violates must organization standards, regarding abuse of a referee, and was a definite violation of the law. The center referee, should have noted all items on their game card, for reviewing parties to take follow-up action on, which should include asking the center as to why THEY did not take action, immediately, when questioned by the AR on the sideline talk, and definitely after seeing the AR get shoved. They should have expected the coach then and there. I could see where a youth center, after seeing the coach push an adult AR, would be concerned what the coach might do to them, if they told the coach that they were ejected. They still could have used the game card to convey all of this, which includes contacting the referee assignor with their concern. Doing absolutely nothing was not acceptable and demonstrates that the center has seriously issues in controlling their game, and backing up their AR associates.

I thought you were talking about another incident of a ref being assaulted, bc in the B2009 of the Copa Americana in OC last weekend, apparently some adults got into a fight (coach v. parent? parent v. ref? not sure) and the cops were called. In front of 9-10 yo kids! Good times, people.

Thanks for posting this incident. That coach should have been removed for referee assault and a report submitted to the tournament, referee association and Cal South. If the CR or ARs were fearful of retaliation by the abusing coach, they should have notified the field marshal and called 911. That referee crew needs some education on how to handle these types of conflicts. I hope someone from Cal South or the referee association views this thread and starts an investigation. That coach should be fired and banned from coaching youth soccer. There is no reason for ANY violence by adults at a youth sports event. There is probably cellphone video of the incident out there.

I thought you were talking about another incident of a ref being assaulted, bc in the B2009 of the Copa Americana in OC last weekend, apparently some adults got into a fight (coach v. parent? parent v. ref? not sure) and the cops were called. In front of 9-10 yo kids! Good times, people.

That is unacceptable. Cal South needs stricter punishments for coaches, parents, teams and clubs when these incidents occur. IMHO, if a parent gets ejected then the entire sideline of spectators should not be allowed to attend the next game and the offending parent banned for multiple games. If a coach gets ejected they should be suspended for either the remainder of the tournament or multiple league games and the coach and club fined. Use peer pressure and loss of money to try and influence better behavior. May sound harsh, but something new needs to be tried.

Thanks for posting this incident. That coach should have been removed for referee assault and a report submitted to the tournament, referee association and Cal South. If the CR or ARs were fearful of retaliation by the abusing coach, they should have notified the field marshal and called 911. That referee crew needs some education on how to handle these types of conflicts. I hope someone from Cal South or the referee association views this thread and starts an investigation. That coach should be fired and banned from coaching youth soccer. There is no reason for ANY violence by adults at a youth sports event. There is probably cellphone video of the incident out there.

Absolutely agree. I think a good deal of this is the 'I don't want to get involved' syndrome, such as that indicative of the center referee not taking action, to spectators on the sideline seeing it and determining that 'it is not my problem'. These same parties might then question as to 'why does this happen', and that the 'environment' is not right. You want things to be better, this means that all have to get involved in the process, when needed/necessary. BTW, if someone did take a video of the event, they would have to SAY nothing, just send the copy of the video to their league. The video would speak for itself, with included comment on the date/time/location/teams playing. It would be figured out quickly.

I forgot to mention that since this appears to have happened at a tournament, there was also no excuse for the referee not verbally telling people at the tournament headquarters location, or the 'referee tent', as to what had just happened. This would have been especially important if the coach/team was playing their first game of the tournament, with more games to follow. The coach should not have been there for the remainder of the tournament. It also could factor in if the tournament took points away from a team, for a coach/player being ejected.

One of the ARs at our game this weekend got assaulted by one of the opposing teams coaches. At conclusion of game the coach walked all the way across the field and confronted the ref crew along the far sideline and the coach shoved the AR with two hands and then got in his face pointing at him. Other two refs then got between them and things settled down.

The coach was complaining about calls the entire game and yelling at AR across the field. The coach then just stood at midfield along the sideline and stared down the AR across the field during the second half. The AR flagged down the CR and the CR stopped the game and came over to chat. From the body language you could tell that the AR was explaining to the CR what was happening and probably either wanted coach ejected or calmed down. The CR didn't do anything. CR was pretty young (probably mid 20s) and didn't seem to have the guts to go confront the angry coach. The AR couldn't believe he wasn't getting the support from his CR (AR shook his head when CR didn't do anything).

I was expecting the AR to call the police but nobody did. I could hear some mention of pulling the coaches card. What would you have done in this situation? This was the first time I ever saw a referee get assaulted at a game. I really wish I had videotaped it because I saw the coach walking towards the referees, but an assault happening was the last thing on my mind.

Tournament Info
Saturday June 8
Can you please tell us the club, age group and coach name?
Or just tell us the age group and time of the game. Then we can figure it out if you don't want to post.

Tournament Info
Saturday June 8
Wow!!! I was at Kare Park on Saturday assigned to the last 3 games of the afternoon and didn’t hear a word about this. All 3 games I did were well behaved. On Sunday, I did the first 4 games down in Huntington Beach for the Copa Americana and one of the coaches of the 2nd team was just a douche bag. On the first goal allowed, he was screaming the player was offside which I explained he was even until the ball was kicked then it was a foot race and he won. He replied “I’m sick of you referees ruining games like this”. Then he and the other coach got face to face over a foul. The worst was when the boys (U11) on the bench applauded he in the 2nd half for calling offside saying “It’s about time he learns offside” Gee, I wonder where they got that attitude from???

I got yelled at and cussed at by the opposing coach this weekend.

Another dad and I were talking to each other, but I guess we were talking too loud, and the coach heard us.

He was a little fiery, as they were losing and I think he got tired of hearing us, turned around and started screaming at us to shut up and get off his side of the field, flourished with a few "F" bombs to get his point across. All while standing next to his bench full of subs.

It escalated into a big screaming match, as other parents joined in.

I guess I was the bad guy, as I found humor in how these people were getting so fired up over it all and just sat and listened to all the screaming and cussing going on in front of the players, all of the other parents, all the refs and even the head ref of the tournament came over to see what all the screaming was about. I don't get these people that want to fight about all of this stuff.

It's kids playing a game, just enjoy it while you can.

I got yelled at and cussed at by the opposing coach this weekend.

Another dad and I were talking to each other, but I guess we were talking too loud, and the coach heard us.

He was a little fiery, as they were losing and I think he got tired of hearing us, turned around and started screaming at us to shut up and get off his side of the field, flourished with a few "F" bombs to get his point across. All while standing next to his bench full of subs.

It escalated into a big screaming match, as other parents joined in.

I guess I was the bad guy, as I found humor in how these people were getting so fired up over it all and just sat and listened to all the screaming and cussing going on in front of the players, all of the other parents, all the refs and even the head ref of the tournament came over to see what all the screaming was about. I don't get these people that want to fight about all of this stuff.

It's kids playing a game, just enjoy it while you can.

It is a sad situation. A couple of weeks ago, I was on the sidelines at my son's U14 game and it was a chippy game, but the referees were doing a great job in controlling the game. We were losing and our parents was just riding the center referee, and the longer the game went, the worse it was. Even our own players were yelling back at their own parents to shut up. I finally had enough and yelled at our parents, "I'll give anyone of you fools $100 if you can run up and down the field refereeing a game and call it perfectly and not get yelled at." They all just looked at me and stood quiet and the center referee gave me a thumbs up with a smirk. Like you said @electrichead72, "It's kids playing a game, just enjoy it while you can."

When my 2007 was a U9 they played in a Memorial Day tournament. My DD collided with/fouled a girl on the other team, who fell on the ground crying. The girl’s mother over reacted and sprinted out onto the field to attend to her kid. All the girls took a knee.

The referee, who was about 60, started yelling at the mother to get off the field. The girl was fine and shook it off pretty quick. One of the parents on the same team as the mother started screaming F bombs at the referee for yelling at the mother.

The referee walked towards the yelling dad, trying to calm him down. The guy proceeded to two hand shove the referee in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Referee reached into his pocket, grabbed the his phone and called 911.

That triggered a bunch of the parents on the other team to all got into it with each other, almost to the point of punches. I heard later that a few of them had it with the guy who pushed the referee and it had been building all year.

Our parents were also yelling at the guy who pushed the referee and within five minutes there were three cop cars with sirens and flashing blue lights racing up to the field. Game got cancelled.

Two teams full of nine year old girls got a front row seat for the whole thing. Just a complete embarrassment all around. Good news was that within 10 minutes of leaving the field all my kid cared about was where we were getting ice cream.

When my 2007 was a U9 they played in a Memorial Day tournament. My DD collided with/fouled a girl on the other team, who fell on the ground crying. The girl’s mother over reacted and sprinted out onto the field to attend to her kid. All the girls took a knee.

The referee, who was about 60, started yelling at the mother to get off the field. The girl was fine and shook it off pretty quick. One of the parents on the same team as the mother started screaming F bombs at the referee for yelling at the mother.

The referee walked towards the yelling dad, trying to calm him down. The guy proceeded to two hand shove the referee in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Referee reached into his pocket, grabbed the his phone and called 911.

That triggered a bunch of the parents on the other team to all got into it with each other, almost to the point of punches. I heard later that a few of them had it with the guy who pushed the referee and it had been building all year.

Our parents were also yelling at the guy who pushed the referee and within five minutes there were three cop cars with sirens and flashing blue lights racing up to the field. Game got cancelled.

Two teams full of nine year old girls got a front row seat for the whole thing. Just a complete embarrassment all around. Good news was that within 10 minutes of leaving the field all my kid cared about was where we were getting ice cream.
A couple of teams from La Jolla and Del Mar no doubt.

Not as bad as the sideline clearing brawl between parents of the Slammers vs Slammers game at El Rancho last weekend. There is video going around. Someone who has it, should post it, so we can all be entertained.

A couple of teams from La Jolla and Del Mar no doubt.
The mother had no business being on the field, unless she was part of team staff. The party putting out the 'bombs' should have been ejected. The mother that came onto the field should have been consulted to understand that this is the coaching staffs job, to see to the players on the field.

The kid demonstrated that THEY were still in touch with reality, and acting in a rational manner, in retrospect to the matter at hand--ICE CREAM!!

Back