Another soccer brawl...

Sorry. I tried recording and attaching to this post but video files are not allowed. I've attached a screen shot just when she's entering the pitch...

View attachment 10523

I couldn't tell from the videos (even zooming in a little) what that lady did. Most of the action on the field had calmed down by the time she got into the middle of it. Kudos to the dad in the white top who grabbed one kid (his, I would guess) and walked him out of the melee.

To complicate things, Let's say you do have one of the smaller players, (such as my youngest, he's a string bean,) And as a parent you see that small player being pummeled by a larger player, I'm not sure I could stop myself from running out there, how do you sit back and watch your kid get beaten?
You would hope teammates would come to his rescue for sure, it's just a bad situation all around and one that should never happen if it can be avoided.

To complicate things, Let's say you do have one of the smaller players, (such as my youngest, he's a string bean,) And as a parent you see that small player being pummeled by a larger player, I'm not sure I could stop myself from running out there, how do you sit back and watch your kid get beaten?
You would hope teammates would come to his rescue for sure, it's just a bad situation all around and one that should never happen if it can be avoided.

Yeah, it really is a hopeless wickett. If the teammates come to help out and do anything other than separate them and take the punches, they'll get carded and suspended. If you son goes down and takes the beating, he could get hurt particularly if the ref isn't quick enough. If your son decides to fight back, in addition to possibly getting beat up by a supposedly larger player, he'll get red carded and suspended. If your son runs away, sad to say but with boys he'll lose face even if he lives to fight another day, assuming he can get away. If you participate and lay hands on a minor, you'll likely in addition to being suspended be arrested.

It's sad to say, but perhaps this is something that every team needs to discuss about how to handle if/when it happens.

We seen our share of fist of cuffs, fights, quarrels, arguments that can turn into violence on soccer pitches. Not just players either, seen at least 4x parent fights involving blows thrown, rolling around, wrestling, blood, teeth missing, swollen faces, eyes, etc.

When a player is a difference maker they can and will be targeted, the physical smaller player that maybe gifted can have a rough time dealing with it but the dark arts as they are called are part of the game so they need to be able to cope and learn how to. My youngest in his U12 and younger days was sucker punched, kicked and hit in the head, face, back, ear, calves, privates, and other places and has some battle scars that he will tell you about

The only three times he's been red carded vs the dozen or more against was when he retaliated during the ACT, another words returning or trading blows. He learned not to do that and focus on payback on the pitch by outplaying the opponents. Lucky for him he grew out of it and learned very well how to handle any situation. Getting up from a take down foul without some extra entanglement, pushing, nudging, or immediate payback while everyone is watching.

To me it's a players game and parents should not cross the line or get involved, the players, coaches and officials should if needed. Tensions can run really run high but the parents are putting too much value into a kid's soccer game if they can't control their own emotions and step on to the field or run to "protect" someone. Be mad after or during a game due to a call, score, the outcome, etc does'nt help anyone, just let the kids play and figure it out without outside interference, trust the process.

Been there several times and can be very difficult to hold your tongue but let it go in the heat of the moment and try to stay calm. In reflection talk with your coach or player once calmed down afterwords. Other parents might encourage you to say something or act out or even provoke or goat you into something but try to remember it's the kids game and not your battle to fight.

So curious for those who've been here longer than I (particularly those that have boys), but what advice do you give your players if they are attacked on the field? And I'm not talking about vigorous pushing during a run of play where kids need to learn to keep calm heads so as not to escalate, but when that does escalate and they are clearly attacked or attacked when play is stopped and the ref isn't looking? Should they go down and call for the ref? Run away? Fight back? None of these seem to be a really good solution. The fact that parents/coaches can't come onto the field and the ref isn't usually allowed to lay hands on the players to stop seems to complicate things.
The rule against parents breaking up fights is pretty stupid. If your kid is throwing punches, you have an obligation to drag him out of there.

Looks to be what most of those dads were doing.

To me it's a players game and parents should not cross the line or get involved, the players, coaches and officials should if needed. Tensions can run really run high but the parents are putting too much value into a kid's soccer game if they can't control their own emotions and step on to the field or run to "protect" someone. Be mad after or during a game due to a call, score, the outcome, etc does'nt help anyone, just let the kids play and figure it out without outside interference, trust the process.
100%.

Maybe in the moment I might act differently, but I just don't see myself running out to intervene if my kid is getting pummeled. I fully expect both coaches and his teammates to handle the matter swiftly, hopefully just breaking up the fight. Getting a beat down can actually be a learning experience. My son has been sucker punched in the gut before but he has never traded blows in retaliation. He might deliver a sharp elbow to the ribs later in the game, but that's about it.

Glitter I get it. I would come out and get my kid out of danger as well. My understanding is she ran onto the pitch and started throwing haymakers. That's why she was arrested.

Please do not enter the field.

The moment you enter the field you are only making things worse for you, your child, your coach, your team, and your club. It does not matter if Brayden starts unleashing fists on your kid out of the blue. Please do not enter the field. There are three referees and at least two coaches nearby, who all have been certified to deal with that behavior and have the training to de-escalate the situation. You do not have that training or certification and you will be found at fault no matter what else happens. Please do not enter the field.

"I'm just getting my kid out of danger" - the referees and coaches will do that as well. They are trained to respond very quickly. You do not need to do that. Entering the field is a sign of escalation and the moment you jump up and get on the field, Brayden's parents are doing the same thing. If you feel the need to do anything, pull out your phone and start documenting the scene. Let the referees and the coaches handle it, please.

The moment you enter the field you are only making things worse for you, your child, your coach, your team, and your club. It does not matter if Brayden starts unleashing fists on your kid out of the blue. Please do not enter the field. There are three referees and at least two coaches nearby, who all have been certified to deal with that behavior and have the training to de-escalate the situation. You do not have that training or certification and you will be found at fault no matter what else happens. Please do not enter the field.

"I'm just getting my kid out of danger" - the referees and coaches will do that as well. They are trained to respond very quickly. You do not need to do that. Entering the field is a sign of escalation and the moment you jump up and get on the field, Brayden's parents are doing the same thing. If you feel the need to do anything, pull out your phone and start documenting the scene. Let the referees and the coaches handle it, please.
So what you're saying is to not enter the field? :)

So what you're saying is to not enter the field? :)

I agree that should be the outcome, but it's based upon a huge assumption that the refs/coaches will take care of the situation. I can say from personal experience that doesn't always happen and the refs hands are tied (if the assailant refuses to listen to the whistle there's not a whole lot the refs can do if the refs follow the guidelines and do not physically intervene). Thankfully, my kid is a blackbelt and can take care of himself, but others may not be so fortunate.

Like many people here, I've been to ref training.

They did not teach jack shit about how to handle a fight.

It was mostly a quick overview of restarts, some good detail on offside calls, and asking us to let them at instead of calling fouls.

Based on what they said, my main tactic to break up a fight is to stand as safe distance away and blow my whistle.

Certified to deal with that behavior? Not in my class.

Like many people here, I've been to ref training.

They did not teach jack shit about how to handle a fight.

It was mostly a quick overview of restarts, some good detail on offside calls, and asking us to let them at instead of calling fouls.

Based on what they said, my main tactic to break up a fight is to stand as safe distance away and blow my whistle.

Certified to deal with that behavior? Not in my class.

I'll echo this. We actually got about 5 minutes on fights about 3 years ago with CalSouth They told us specifically NOT to intervene physically (we might get injured) and NOT to put our hands on the minors (we might get charged). They basically said to blow the whistle. If the assaulting player does not listen to the whistle there's not much more we were instructed to do.

One pointer I remember getting is when flashing cards don't stand directly in front of the player....they may take a swing at you.

I'll echo this. We actually got about 5 minutes on fights about 3 years ago with CalSouth They told us specifically NOT to intervene physically (we might get injured) and NOT to put our hands on the minors (we might get charged). They basically said to blow the whistle. If the assaulting player does not listen to the whistle there's not much more we were instructed to do.

One pointer I remember getting is when flashing cards don't stand directly in front of the player....they may take a swing at you.
Just take out your phone and yell. “ hey idiot parents, you are now on YouTube live for the world to see what a bunch of pathetic losers you are”. That will stop them to listen to you ..... but then again you will get punched unfortunately.

Back