Another soccer brawl...

lafalafa

PREMIER
At the Dallas cup 2nd flight or qualifing tournament:

So what's the appropriate post action for the individuals and teams involved?

Shame that people can't control themselves and loose it over kids soccer games but seems like this has become a all too common type of event.

It appears that there might be some hyperbole in the article based on what was shown in the video. Of course, I don't know the circumstances but it seemed like it was handled well by the field and tournament officials, some of the kids and most of the parents.

At a minimum, both clubs (not just teams) should be suspended for a period of time, or permanently, from any future Dallas Cups.

I saw one at Man City Cup a few years back. I was really close too. :rolleyes:

This seems mild in comparison.

Maybe so, but I know some mama bears and aggro dads that wouldn't hesitate to get involved in a kids' melee regardless of coach.
I think the article said that a Mom was arrested as she assaulted (?) a kid her son was fighting.
klassy all around.

I think the article said that a Mom was arrested as she assaulted (?) a kid her son was fighting.
klassy all around.
There are several videos from various angles that show this incident. In one, you can clearly see the mother of one of the players, presumably, is the first adult to step onto the the pitch. This link is to North Texas vs the World FB post that has several links for videos. Check out the video on the the right side, second row. Pretty clear cut...

Where I'm from no but according to the original source yes, adults where taken into custody, coaches thrown out before the video and they was other actions before/after some of the videos.
I’m not making light of the whole incident per se. A parent coming into the field is way out of line. But as fights go that was pretty tame.

So curious for those who've been here longer than I (particularly those that have boys), but what advice do you give your players if they are attacked on the field? And I'm not talking about vigorous pushing during a run of play where kids need to learn to keep calm heads so as not to escalate, but when that does escalate and they are clearly attacked or attacked when play is stopped and the ref isn't looking? Should they go down and call for the ref? Run away? Fight back? None of these seem to be a really good solution. The fact that parents/coaches can't come onto the field and the ref isn't usually allowed to lay hands on the players to stop seems to complicate things.

So curious for those who've been here longer than I (particularly those that have boys), but what advice do you give your players if they are attacked on the field? And I'm not talking about vigorous pushing during a run of play where kids need to learn to keep calm heads so as not to escalate, but when that does escalate and they are clearly attacked or attacked when play is stopped and the ref isn't looking? Should they go down and call for the ref? Run away? Fight back? None of these seem to be a really good solution. The fact that parents/coaches can't come onto the field and the ref isn't usually allowed to lay hands on the players to stop seems to complicate things.
Good question...one I've never considered. I don't see my kid throwing a punch to protect himself, maybe wrestling a kid to the ground to avoid being punched, but whatever he does probably isn't going to end well for him in a 1v1 since he is usually one of the lightest kids on the pitch. I'm 100% confident that his teammates would come to his rescue. Our CB is multi-level black belt in martial arts and another kid is a bully who wouldn't hesitate to get involved.

Good question...one I've never considered. I don't see my kid throwing a punch to protect himself, maybe wrestling a kid to the ground to avoid being punched, but whatever he does probably isn't going to end well for him in a 1v1 since he is usually one of the lightest kids on the pitch. I'm 100% confident that his teammates would come to his rescue. Our CB is multi-level black belt in martial arts and another kid is a bully who wouldn't hesitate to get involved.

I guess that's part 2 of the question. Your CB multilevel black belt or your bully, unless he willingly steps in to separate them and take the punches that come down on him, is going to get red carded and suspended, same as your kid if they defend themselves as opposed to going down (where they could potentially get more seriously hurt). Would you advise your kids to go in and help in as nonviolent a way as possible (note both the GKs in the video don't)? This is getting so ridiculous that it seems that the kids need to be provided training as to what to do to protect themselves and the consequences of choices instead of just having to make up things on the field.

No one wants to see their kids getting in fights, whether it be at school, sports or just going about their daily lives. You would hope that when one kid starts a fight with another an adult is going to be close by to deescalate it, but is that realistic? To answer your question, I’ve always told my kids to walk away when they can. But if another kid is swinging at them, not much choice but to stand your ground and fight back. I’ll take the school or sports consequences of the fight over risking serious injury by not defending yourself.

No one wants to see their kids getting in fights, whether it be at school, sports or just going about their daily lives. You would hope that when one kid starts a fight with another an adult is going to be close by to deescalate it, but is that realistic? To answer your question, I’ve always told my kids to walk away when they can. But if another kid is swinging at them, not much choice but to stand your ground and fight back. I’ll take the school or sports consequences of the fight over risking serious injury by not defending yourself.

The usual rule for the referee is that they can blow the whistle and tell them to stop but they can't lay hand on the minor or risk injury separating them, and that's assuming the referee is looking in the direction instead of elsewhere (it's hard for the referee to have their eyes everywhere). Parents, as we've seen, can't enter the field. That leaves the coach of the attacking player who also has to have eyes on it, can't enter the field and should want to stop it (but calling out their own player is guaranteed to give them a red card). Seems to me the kids are largely on their own (or with their teammates) which isn't ideal, but I get you can't have parents charging the field and causing a larger fight or laying hands on minors.

The usual rule for the referee is that they can blow the whistle and tell them to stop but they can't lay hand on the minor or risk injury separating them, and that's assuming the referee is looking in the direction instead of elsewhere (it's hard for the referee to have their eyes everywhere). Parents, as we've seen, can't enter the field. That leaves the coach of the attacking player who also has to have eyes on it, can't enter the field and should want to stop it (but calling out their own player is guaranteed to give them a red card). Seems to me the kids are largely on their own (or with their teammates) which isn't ideal, but I get you can't have parents charging the field and causing a larger fight or laying hands on minors.

When my U14 daughter was U9 they were playing in a tournament and she and another girl collided running for a ball that rebounded off the cross bar. Defender v. Forward. Other girl got the wind knocked out of her. That girl’s mother ran onto the field screaming and also to tend to her daughter. Referee yelled at her to get off the field. More parents from the other team entered the field and one of them two hands to the chest shoved the 60 year old referee to the ground. He called 911 and the police were there within minutes. This is all in front of a bunch of 8-9 year old girls who were taking a knee while the injured girl got her breath back.

I’m a pretty calm person, but if any of the adults who ran onto the field went anywhere near my 8 year old daughter I would have ended up in the back of the police car. When one or two adults act like idiots things can go sideways quickly.

There are several videos from various angles that show this incident. In one, you can clearly see the mother of one of the players, presumably, is the first adult to step onto the the pitch. This link is to North Texas vs the World FB post that has several links for videos. Check out the video on the the right side, second row. Pretty clear cut...

Private group.

Back