Alternative for graduating 2003's

Banana Hammock

SILVER ELITE
I would like to relate to you my son's recent decision regarding his post HS soccer future. Given the last years playing challenges and as a personal choice, my son has decided to forgo college and enlist in the Marine Corps. He has many reasons for this. First, he simply is not ready for more school right now. Second, getting recruited over the past year has been difficult. DS is good enough to get recruit at many colleges and universities, but refer back to first reason. Third, was the family tradition of serving in the Marine Corps. Fourth, was the finances of attending college. The GI bill is currently worth close to $100k. Fifth, NCAA eligibility is frozen while in the military, meaning that you are eligibly to play after service. Sixth, playing high level soccer in the military is an option.

You may want to consider this option with your DS/DD if attending college right now seems undoable.

https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/post-9-11/

DS leaves Sunday for Basic Training in San Diego. He was taken the last two weeks off from reffing, but has had a pretty good go of it for the last four years. The 20/21 playing season never really materialized, which was a disappointment for him. I think that the last year has dimmed his outlook for playing soccer anymore and with his desired job in the Marines, he will probably not have the opportunity to play. Good luck to all the 03's as they make the transition.

DS leaves Sunday for Basic Training in San Diego. He was taken the last two weeks off from reffing, but has had a pretty good go of it for the last four years. The 20/21 playing season never really materialized, which was a disappointment for him. I think that the last year has dimmed his outlook for playing soccer anymore and with his desired job in the Marines, he will probably not have the opportunity to play. Good luck to all the 03's as they make the transition.

Good Luck to your son and his new chapter in life! Thanks for sharing

Tell your son to keep the dream alive in the Marines and continue to ask for the opportunity to play for the Armed Forces if possible. My high school teammate played volleyball for the Army, was a decent player in high school (recruited by schools like Chapman during the 80s) but didn't get any looks from high D1 schools (we had 4 starters play D1 and he got left in the shuffle) so he decided on the same route as your son. Said playing in the military was the most fun time of his life, got to travel all across the world with the team and was never assigned to any really awful detail.

To be honest, his experience was probably better than those of us who played at UCLA, UCSB, LMU, etc. As a high level high school athlete, the mental and physical parts of basic weren't bad for him. Plus, when he discharged after 4 years, he got into a much better private college than his high school grades reflected or that he would have been able to afford four years prior.

Good luck to him, tell him thanks!

I think your son is in for the experience of a lifetime and it will provide a lifelong benefit in ways you can't even imagine right now. He should definitely look into the Armed Forces team, it is a really awesome opportunity. Not too many are aware of it.

Wanted to give everyone an update from the USMC. Son graduated boot camp in November and said that he had not problems with it. I attribute that to the 12 years of competitive soccer developing his physically abilities and competitiveness. He always we fiercely competitive but I will say that playing as a 2003 in SoCal, he really was put to the test. He starts with the Reconnaissance Training Battalion next Monday.

Wanted to give everyone an update from the USMC. Son graduated boot camp in November and said that he had not problems with it. I attribute that to the 12 years of competitive soccer developing his physically abilities and competitiveness. He always we fiercely competitive but I will say that playing as a 2003 in SoCal, he really was put to the test. He starts with the Reconnaissance Training Battalion next Monday.
Congratulations, you should be proud (which I’m sure you are)!

Back