Alex Morgan Pregnant & Selfish

She's pregnant, good for her and her family. But I choke on the sense of entitlement she has to playing on the Olympic team. I question whether a 100% fit Alex Morgan deserves all the minutes she gets already (thank you Nike), but an Alex Morgan who delivered a baby less than 3 months prior? Very selfish. Let someone else deserving, training, fit and not mistakenly pregnant (there's no way they planned for this between WC and Olympics) have the roster spot. (Or, Carly Lloyd get more PT in her final "swan song".) Then come back for the NWSL season in September and future National Team play. I know men play their sport through baby deliveries, but until science figures out a way for men to deliver offspring, this can't be an equal rights issue.

The interesting thing about stupidity is that when you are stupid you don't know it.

The interesting thing about stupidity is that when you are stupid you don't know it.

Sometimes when women are pregnant they don't know it, but they should at least have a suspicion. Unless, of course, they are one of those people you suggested who are stupid and don't know it.

If she has an easy uneventful birth, her recovery should be quick and she should be able to start training again pretty quickly. The question is will she *want* to do so with a newborn so soon after birth?

Sometimes when women are pregnant they don't know it, but they should at least have a suspicion. Unless, of course, they are one of those people you suggested who are stupid and don't know it.
I wasn't referring to her! I was referring to "oh Canada"! And by the way, women don't always have a "suspicion", they can menstrate their entire pregnancy, not have any symptoms until the baby moves or she starts showing. So many knowledgeable men out there.

I wasn't referring to her! I was referring to "oh Canada"! And by the way, women don't always have a "suspicion", they can menstrate their entire pregnancy, not have any symptoms until the baby moves or she starts showing. So many knowledgeable men out there.

They didn't know they had sex?

btw, it's menstruate

You posted that today? Have you been locked up in a SCIF all morning wth no news getting in?
AM will be just fine, 7 months pregnant and trying to make a roster spot....:),,,, I know trials can put you on the edge, dont worry Trump will come squeeky clean, he always does, cant touch the man. #fakenews #kaga #comeback #untouchable #resignpelosi

I don’t care either way if she tries to make the team or not (i don’t think she will. A roster of 18 with so many talented forwards playing so well leaves very little room for someone coming in with 8-12 weeks of training). BUT having had kids I do wonder why a financially stable couple would want to sacrifice the first few months of newborn life to train for....soccer.
Maybe cuz I’m old and my kids are way past that stage but those first few months are magical and go so so fast. And training to make the team isn’t a 90 min workout at the gym. It’s a full day commitment plus solid sleep and total focus. I get the goal of making the Olympic team and that’s a great goal. But parenting and parenting well is a pretty good goal as well. Maybe she can do it all. Good for her if she can. But if it’s me, and something has to give, soccer goes first, not the kid.

Relax with the exclamation points...average weight gain for pregnancy is 25-35 pounds. Google it.

Average weight loss right after birth (due to the baby being born and the amniotic fluid loss) is 12 pounds. Breastfeeding greatly accelerates weight loss, burning an average of 500 extra calories a day. I ran 6 miles the day I went into labor (2 weeks late). I started running again 2 days after I gave birth as well as going back into my gym routine with free weights. Was at my normal weight 1 month after giving birth, was lifting the same weight and actually running a bit faster mile time (still haven't figured that one out). Someone like Alex Morgan can be back in fitness shape a month after giving birth. Your point about soccer shape (touches, etc) may be valid. No clue since I've always been a clutz which is why I run (one foot in front of the other not too difficult). I don't know how much muscle memory comes into play with a "finesse" skill.

Regardless she only said she "hoped" to come back and play in the Olympics, not that she was certain she would. What else is she supposed to say? You can look at it two ways I guess, entitled or inspiring to other women who may be having difficulty bouncing back after childbirth--whether that be postpartum depression, losing the weight, balancing work/life if they need to work, etc. I prefer the latter interpretation despite being inclined to agree that AM is a bit over-hyped.

The team looked pretty tight connecting passes and winning the individual battles the other day against Mexico.

New coach didn’t look like someone who will disrupt that flow just to satisfy advertisers and sponsors...

She’ll probably be physically ready but coaches will want to see how she fits in and makes them a better team.

The team looked pretty tight connecting passes and winning the individual battles the other day against Mexico.

New coach didn’t look like someone who will disrupt that flow just to satisfy advertisers and sponsors...

She’ll probably be physically ready but coaches will want to see how she fits in and makes them a better team.

How did "satisfy advertisers and sponsors" get into the discussion?

How did "satisfy advertisers and sponsors" get into the discussion?
If she does make the team and bumps a player off of the roster that has been in great form, I could see plenty of people thinking that Nike put pressure to get her on the roster.

Someone earlier in the conversation mentioned what a great story a new mom would be. Gerber, P&G, etc... as newly interested..:

Someone earlier in the conversation mentioned what a great story a new mom would be. Gerber, P&G, etc... as newly interested..:

I don't see that, although I agree it would be a fantastic story. However, this isn't pro wrestling where everything is staged for sponsors and ratings.

Lynn Williams sporting #13 and looking pretty good vs my underachieving Canada--they played awfully. Disappointing that the coach played a bunker 5-4-1 in a game that didn't mean much other than pride. High press the US, and attack, that's the only way to beat the best.

Re Williams - props to the Fresno native and Pepperdine grad. No youth national team interest until u23.

I do find it interesting with all the jersey # options, she chose #13!! Was it a thumb in the eye of Nike's favorite or a tip of the hat? Maybe Lynn just likes the #? Still, an interesting choice.

Lynn Williams sporting #13 and looking pretty good vs my underachieving Canada--they played awfully. Disappointing that the coach played a bunker 5-4-1 in a game that didn't mean much other than pride. High press the US, and attack, that's the only way to beat the best.

Re Williams - props to the Fresno native and Pepperdine grad. No youth national team interest until u23.

I do find it interesting with all the jersey # options, she chose #13!! Was it a thumb in the eye of Nike's favorite or a tip of the hat? Maybe Lynn just likes the #? Still, an interesting choice.

The women from up north played Canadian courtesy defense -- "Oh, sorry - is this your ball?"

Back