Age Band Change (again)?

LMAO @ "everyone was pissed that we left Legends"

Don't you mean Blues, I mean Surf, wait no it was Blues, or maybe you're talking about next season when you leave Strikers!?

PS... I thought you "changed your ways & learned your lesson" yet you keep posting about how amazing of a soccer dad you were at U10.

Too funny brah - keep it up EJ, I mean Justus, wait it's NewWaveDave, wow - not only a club-hopper but a forum name-hopper too!
The plan before the birth year change was to play for Tad Bobak and the Blues until 18 years old if she never got cut along the way. So, yes we pissed off some Blues parents as well and some coaches for being the first to take the Free Surf Deal. Then we pissed off some more parents at Surf to go back to Legends so she could play up with the first DA 03/04 combo and then at the last second DA decided to switch to single band....oh my, I see your point. This looks really bad, I will admit that. I hope the college coaches don't find out how much hopping we have done. The only hopping I was ever accused of before club soccer was when I was surfing. I am a forum hopper but at least I'm honest about it. I know some folks who have three or four accounts and don't tell any of us. My buddy has been with the Coach Woodcock Soccer Family for a few years, 2500+ following. They went from: Blades, Slammers, LA Galaxy of OC and now Liverpool. $1,000 price increase this year Canyon Guy. If some smart dad finally gets it and leaves, this would be his 5th new jersey with a different name. That sucks and is really sad!!!!

That's what I meant by my biological reference, i.e. they hit puberty sooner and get bigger, faster & stronger. Both my kids are late bloomers, so she's the smallest on her roster of 18 bar one kid - she's prob 9 inches shorter & 30+ pounds lighter than the biggest player. My son has been giving up, at the extremes 10+ inches and 50+ pounds in his head to heads. They will both catch up and it will level out.

Bigger, faster & stronger doesn't mean better obv. but it does give an advantage and way too many coaches will go for it first every time.
too often, coaches will equate older/early developer (which is what often but not always leads to b/f/s) with more talented, and therein is the problem.

too often, coaches will equate older/early developer (which is what often but not always leads to b/f/s) with more talented, and therein is the problem.
That may be true, but mostly I think its not. Coaches & clubs talk about development, but b/f/s means a higher possibility to win and they will go with that every time. The bigger the club, the less reliance on "development" because they have (or will get) enough quantity to stay competitive, IMV. I don't think they believe that the b/f/s are more talented, just that they are more effective at that point.

They then "sell", play on the second team and at Ux your player will be on my top team.

Ultimately, I think this is systematic of a wider problem in US soccer which is apparent on the men's side (focus on b/f/s early loses the technical players) and will impact on the women's side in the next 5-10 years as the USWNT loses it dominance to the Euro sides who value technical above b/f/s.

That may be true, but mostly I think its not. Coaches & clubs talk about development, but b/f/s means a higher possibility to win and they will go with that every time. The bigger the club, the less reliance on "development" because they have (or will get) enough quantity to stay competitive, IMV. I don't think they believe that the b/f/s are more talented, just that they are more effective at that point.

They then "sell", play on the second team and at Ux your player will be on my top team.

Ultimately, I think this is systematic of a wider problem in US soccer which is apparent on the men's side (focus on b/f/s early loses the technical players) and will impact on the women's side in the next 5-10 years as the USWNT loses it dominance to the Euro sides who value technical above b/f/s.
fair. so clarification. Coaches may not actually think b/f/s are more talented but rather than saying to families that Tier 1 team is 1st oldest, Tier 2 is 2nd oldest etc, Tier 1 players are represented to families as "best" and "best" is then interpreted (reasonably) as "most talented".

Simple fix here is for clubs/coaches to say that 1) older = significant competitive advantage, but is not necessarily most talented 2) be consistent about this representation to both families of tier 1 and not tier 1 3) have specific initiative to ID and cultivate most talented, regardless of age.

Boy, this shouldn't be so hard. No cutoff dates, no birth year that splits classmates, just graduation year. 2023's are all freshmen now, 2026's are all 6th graders, etc. 8th graders play with 8th graders, 3rd graders play with 3rd graders. When college coaches go to a showcase they can target a homogeneous grade of kids, which makes it easier for them. School friends stay with school friends. No date cutoff, just grad year.

Boy, this shouldn't be so hard. No cutoff dates, no birth year that splits classmates, just graduation year. 2023's are all freshmen now, 2026's are all 6th graders, etc. 8th graders play with 8th graders, 3rd graders play with 3rd graders. When college coaches go to a showcase they can target a homogeneous grade of kids, which makes it easier for them. School friends stay with school friends. No date cutoff, just grad year.

Good for rec - play with your school chums.

Until you get a kid who was held back a year and has a mustache in 6th grade.

Grad year is based on academics, not soccer.

When a kid skips a grade, or two, do they also suddenly gain muscle mass and soccer skills?

When they are held back or delay kindergarten, do they also get smaller?

Grad year will be popular among parents of older/redshirted kids, precisely because it gives those kids an unfair advantage.

Until you get a kid who was held back a year and has a mustache in 6th grade.

I have heard that it is the practice in some areas to start their kid in 1st Grade a year late so they will have a size and development advantage when he gets to high school. That doesn't happen California, right?

I have heard that it is the practice in some areas to start their kid in 1st Grade a year late so they will have a size and development advantage when he gets to high school. That doesn't happen California, right?
can't tell if this is sarcastic or genuinely asked. assuming genuine question, in each of our sons' SoCal kindergarten classes, about 25% of the boys were red-shirted. the elementary school was about 65% white and it was mostly - but not entirely - the white families holding their boys' back. We considered it for our second son w/ early June dob, but decided to roll with it.

Let's assume this rumor is true and they go back to school year banding instead of birth year. Whether it's good or bad, there simply is no way it would be applied in 2020. They could announce it in January but it wouldn't take affect until the 2021 or even 2022 season. Simply because of logistics, clubs already having offers out, tournaments already filled with teams, etc.

So, we get a while year to argue the merits!

PS: If they do make the change I hope they do away 9v9 while they are at it. Make 7v7 last a year longer if you want, but get into 11v11 sooner. The kids in second year of 9v9 just run corner to corner because the field is too small. Encourages crappy play and recruitment of "fast kids" over skilled.

Grad year is based on academics, not soccer.

When a kid skips a grade, or two, do they also suddenly gain muscle mass and soccer skills?

When they are held back or delay kindergarten, do they also get smaller?

Grad year will be popular among parents of older/redshirted kids, precisely because it gives those kids an unfair advantage.

Theres a huge difference between a 17 year old boy vs 19 year old man child. Dont try to kid your self. The age gap depending on genetics and when puberty hits can make all the difference.

So yes the ability to gain MORE muscle strength/power skipping 2 grades is a reality ONLY if genetics are on the kids side. So if moms 4'8 and dads 5'2 dont expect a competitive advantage if the doctor expects your son to max out at 5'6. (this is football related)

Theres a huge difference between a 17 year old boy vs 19 year old man child. Dont try to kid your self. The age gap depending on genetics and when puberty hits can make all the difference.

So yes the ability to gain MORE muscle strength/power skipping 2 grades is a reality ONLY if genetics are on the kids side. So if moms 4'8 and dads 5'2 dont expect a competitive advantage if the doctor expects your son to max out at 5'6. (this is football related)
True! I remember being a 17 yo senior and couldn’t keep weight on my 6’-2”, 165 pound frame and then I turned 18 and it felt like I could fill out my frame much easier. By 19 yo I was 190-200 pounds so 2 yrs makes a huge difference.

Let's assume this rumor is true and they go back to school year banding instead of birth year. Whether it's good or bad, there simply is no way it would be applied in 2020. They could announce it in January but it wouldn't take affect until the 2021 or even 2022 season. Simply because of logistics, clubs already having offers out, tournaments already filled with teams, etc.

PS: If they do make the change I hope they do away 9v9 while they are at it. Make 7v7 last a year longer if you want, but get into 11v11 sooner. The kids in second year of 9v9 just run corner to corner because the field is too small. Encourages crappy play and recruitment of "fast kids" over skilled.
Your comment really only pertains to so cal. Rest of the country isn’t having tryouts in December.

you mean the goalie 1 bouncing it too the other goalie is not fun .=)

That’s absolutely a trend. My kids are the smallest and youngest in their grade. Parents on purpose are holding back kids. Even from an academic perspective some kids need to start school a little older to help them understand the school content.

Going back to the old way doesn’t fix anything.

Back