Affordable Leagues in the Ontario area

or wins (we all deny it, but it secretly matters for most).
Ah but here is the real dilemma for club soccer, especially at the younger ages for kids who are defenders or goalkeepers. The issue with the CBs and GKs that are seeing a lot of action is their stop rates (if they are good at that age) hover around the 70% mark. So the more shots, the more goals. It's just math. There's not just a lot you can do about it...the GKs are too short to stop shots even in the 3/4 goals, the CBs don't have the frontal cortext yet to make a perfect reading of all the balls heading towards the line so basically it comes down to how fast they are. But without those shots and without those situations, the kid won't develop and learn. Can't tell you how many countless underdeveloped CBs and GKs I've seen at winning teams that then when you throw them against an academy they just get pummeled because they haven't seen the situation. So it becomes a Sophie's choice between development v. winning for the players in the back....but lose too much and either coach's start to take short cuts (every ball gets booted...the formation implemented is always a low block....I kid you not I once saw a U9 team line up everyone in front of the goal for the entire game to prevent a goal (they wound up losing 1-0 after something stupid like 40+ shots), or the GK and CB are the first to get the finger for the team losing.

I'd try out for the AYSO Extra or United teams for all three. Possibly move the oldest into club at his age. My daughter didn't start playing until age 9, went with AYSO. I even coached her a couple years. She made the Extra team, with the compete Extra team eventually going to club a couple years later age 12, where they climbed the ranks each year. Small clubs you can pay under $1000 per year. The good news is she ended up getting a scholarship to a D1, and made her first couple starts as a freshman this month. Lots of possibilities and options. I'd imagine if one of your kids gets really good, some club might offer a scholarship to play for them. Good luck.

Back