Advice for picking a team after tryouts

Stay with your current team. Too many people are willing to chase the "new bright and shiny". Stay local, enjoy more quality time with your family. Don't get caught up in alphabet soup acronyms of the club soccer world.
100%. It's all about the coach and the only way my kid or i would leave local play is for a coach only, not shiny medal like some think was the reason. Don;t chase medals, chase a coach only. My dd had the best and most honest coach ever for a female soccer player for two years. 40 years of coaching woman and learning from them. He never lied to me or my daughter. Never lied once and no favoritism or pay to have access to the all the goods. That is the only good reason one will drive one hour and fifteen minutes each way, to be taught by a Master in his field.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your advice. My dd has decided to stay with Team 1. But, she has also decided to start training regularly with the coach from Team 2 for extra practice. To her, that will give her the best of all worlds, she gets to play with the girls she knows and loves as well as train with a coach she was really excited about.

I asked her what she likes about soccer and what she wants from a team. She said she wanted a team where the girls were nice and were happy to see her when she came to practice. Where the coach and other players would push her to get better. Where they win and score goals.

Then I asked her what she thought she would learn from each coach. What she talked about with the coach of Team 1 was very team and style of play oriented. What she talked about with the coach from Team 2 was very player oriented.

When I suggested playing on Team 1 and training with the coach from Team 2 she lit up in a smile and it was like a great weight was lifted off of her shoulders.

Is it a common thing to be able to play for one team and train free on another team?
My experience is that a lot of coaches like to have guest players at their practices on certain days to help them be able to train in game like situations . At 11v11 with a roster or 16 it is hard to mimic full sided play. If the coach knows you and your player, they will often say "Yes, you are welcome to come on Thursday."

My experience is that a lot of coaches like to have guest players at their practices on certain days to help them be able to train in game like situations . At 11v11 with a roster or 16 it is hard to mimic full sided play. If the coach knows you and your player, they will often say "Yes, you are welcome to come on Thursday."

Do you have to pay anything for that "guest practicing"? Pretty sweet deal if you don't.

Back