Advantage?

NickName

SILVER ELITE
Curiosity here more than anything.
What is the point that you as a ref blow the whistle as opposed to allowing advantage?

It felt (at the time) that the play above should have continued but for how long?

The references from the LOTG are below. From watching the video, I may have allowed Advantage. I say “may” because I do not know the “atmosphere of the match.” The player was clearly in the attacking third, after the foul he was headed toward goal for a shot or pass, and the severity of the foul was minor. What I do not know is what had transpired in the game up to that point. Was it a physical game, were there several cards, had there been some hard fouls, history between the two teams, score, what minute of the match, had the player that committed the foul committed numerous fouls? All of those questions fall under “atmosphere of the match.”

Advantage (Page 66 of the LOTG Law 5)
• allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage, and penalises the offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds

Other Advice (Page 214 of the LOTG)
1. Advantage
The referee may play advantage whenever an offence occurs but should consider the following in deciding whether to apply the advantage or stop play:
• the severity of the offence – if the offence warrants a sending-off, the referee must stop play and send off the player unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal
• the position where the offence was committed - the closer to the opponent’s goal, the more effective the advantage can be
• the chances of an immediate, promising attack
• the atmosphere of the match

Back