ACL Injuries

How many years of soccer playing would generally result in first ACL tear experience? Is it more common with certain positions or would bench players or goalies also equally likely?
I think there are two subsets of acl injuries. Those that happen through contact that can happen to anyone and those that happen without contact which seem to be more genetically driven.

I've heard that certain times during a young woman's cycle can make her more prone to tearing.
2 out of the 3 for my daughter for sure happened on their cycle. not sure about the other one because at the time i never heard that as a possibility so she doesnt remember

Just keeping this thread in the mix...at least two other big name college players went down with ACL tears -- both played in the youth national team system -- overuse?

Sophie Jones at Duke (freshman, in October)

Emily Fox (UNC in College Cup quarterfinals)

Just keeping this thread in the mix...at least two other big name college players went down with ACL tears -- both played in the youth national team system -- overuse?

Sophie Jones at Duke (freshman, in October)

Emily Fox (UNC in College Cup quarterfinals)
Shit! I was wondering what happened to Sophie. Also when I saw Emily Fox go down, it looked like an ankle... damn. It's an epidemic. My girl is getting close. Probably will be cleared to return to training next month God willing. Prayers for these young women dealing with this F'd up injury.

Shit! I was wondering what happened to Sophie. Also when I saw Emily Fox go down, it looked like an ankle... damn. It's an epidemic. My girl is getting close. Probably will be cleared to return to training next month God willing. Prayers for these young women dealing with this F'd up injury.
My dd is still not cleared and working hard thru her recovery too. It’s been 7 1/2 months. It’s not just the knee that has to recover, it’s the whole body. Three more girls from her club tore their ACLs recently. I feel terrible for them. That’s at least 10 girls in 2-3 years at her club alone. I don’t know if there are more ACL tears now or if my family just notices every football player, basketball player, and soccer player who tears theirs now. Seems like a new one every week.

My dd is still not cleared and working hard thru her recovery too. It’s been 7 1/2 months. It’s not just the knee that has to recover, it’s the whole body. Three more girls from her club tore their ACLs recently. I feel terrible for them. That’s at least 10 girls in 2-3 years at her club alone. I don’t know if there are more ACL tears now or if my family just notices every football player, basketball player, and soccer player who tears theirs now. Seems like a new one every week.
It sure seems like an epidemic. My dd just got cleared for full contact and will be returning to the pitch. She has rehab-ed with such a vengeance and we are proud of how hard she has worked from her re-injury. I hope my heart can take it :)

Been 10 months now. Only issues she has it can get stiff after sitting for a long time and occasional tendonitis.
My dd chose to not return to soccer. It’s been almost 8 months of recovery. She will focus on track/XC now. I will miss watching her play against and with some of the best. We look forward to watching all of her soccer teammates who will be playing in college.

It sure seems like an epidemic. My dd just got cleared for full contact and will be returning to the pitch. She has rehab-ed with such a vengeance and we are proud of how hard she has worked from her re-injury. I hope my heart can take it :)
its been more than three seasons since my dd got cleared to play after acl surgery and I am still very nervous watching her play

its been more than three seasons since my dd got cleared to play after acl surgery and I am still very nervous watching her play
My DD sees the doc tomorrow. it will be almost 10 months. I'm assuming she'll get cleared to return to training (fingers crossed). She, like others here, has worked very hard to get back. I'm sure I will have a hard time watching once she gets back into games. The fact that you still get nervous after 3 years doesn't make me feel good :(. Plus she'll be playing at the next level in 1.5 years which brings a whole other level of intensity/physicality.... and so we pray.

We have so many friends that tore ACL and never returned. Others did and are doing well. My DD faced back injury, 4 times, and returned. Some are still hurting from their back injuries. It's not easy to go through injury, but for those that return and those that don't, just know that you are stronger for facing that adversity. I believe it 100%. I do NOT wish injury on anyone, but I do think that diamonds are made from pressure and sometimes kids find love in something they never thought possible until they are forced to rest, take a step back and re-evaluate. Without being forced to take that chance, they might not ever know. Life has a way of working itself out. Best wishes to all these great athletes. If it's soccer, XC, LAX, bball, track, etc....just remember where it all started and keep your head up!!

We have so many friends that tore ACL and never returned. Others did and are doing well. My DD faced back injury, 4 times, and returned. Some are still hurting from their back injuries. It's not easy to go through injury, but for those that return and those that don't, just know that you are stronger for facing that adversity. I believe it 100%. I do NOT wish injury on anyone, but I do think that diamonds are made from pressure and sometimes kids find love in something they never thought possible until they are forced to rest, take a step back and re-evaluate. Without being forced to take that chance, they might not ever know. Life has a way of working itself out. Best wishes to all these great athletes. If it's soccer, XC, LAX, bball, track, etc....just remember where it all started and keep your head up!!
Best post I’ve read on this forum in a long time.

I am happy to report that after 9 months DD was cleared to return to training! Super happy for her, but also scared. We are urging her to take it slow as we want to limit any set backs. She's worked super hard to get back. Both elated and nervous about her return.

Very happy for you and your dd. Just remember not to get too freaked out when her knee hurts. After my dd got back training it hurt for a few days after she did something new. Then when she felt she was 100% and finally played it hurt like hell again for a few days. No one tells you but it really is just part of the process. Just have her back off for a few days and continue to get treatment as needed, Since she is not in college yet don't throw away the number for her PT.

Very happy for you and your dd. Just remember not to get too freaked out when her knee hurts. After my dd got back training it hurt for a few days after she did something new. Then when she felt she was 100% and finally played it hurt like hell again for a few days. No one tells you but it really is just part of the process. Just have her back off for a few days and continue to get treatment as needed, Since she is not in college yet don't throw away the number for her PT.
Apprecaite that very much. Definitely will keep that in mind as we've already experienced some of that. Everytime she has done something new, in terms of movement, she says her knee feels a little funny and sometimes there's a bit of pain but not too much. She starts training today so we'll say some prayers and make sure she does her proper prevention exercises prior to training. Again, thank you for all the advice you've given from start. I'm sure I'll need to lean on you again :)

Apprecaite that very much. Definitely will keep that in mind as we've already experienced some of that. Everytime she has done something new, in terms of movement, she says her knee feels a little funny and sometimes there's a bit of pain but not too much. She starts training today so we'll say some prayers and make sure she does her proper prevention exercises prior to training. Again, thank you for all the advice you've given from start. I'm sure I'll need to lean on you again :)
Great advice. When my DD first came back, she did a light session of taking shots on goal and the next day complained of pain and some swelling. Turned out, she just over did it a bit. There will be aches and pains and there is nothing wrong with a visit or two back to PT. Best of luck!!!

Last Friday my daughter tore her ACL in a high school game. This is her third ACL and first on the right knee. she is a junior and was non contact. I do believe fatigue was part of it along with genetics and i have heard a certain time of the month can play a factor and the last 3 ACLs between my 2 daughters happened in that time. My daughter plays on a really bad high school team and she is the only club player. She plays center back and is the leading scorer and is making full field runs the whole game. she is scheduled for surgery Feb 6 and her older sister meets with the same surgeon Feb 5 to get cleared to go back to soccer after her ACL (7 months). My youngest was out 2 years with back to back ACLs and has been back playing a year and half before doing it again. She is absolutely heart broken as am I. first ACL we did hamstring because growth plates not closed and patella tendon for the second and third. her sister tore her ACL 1 time and we did patella tendon. Sorry for the rambling and jumping around.

Last Friday my daughter tore her ACL in a high school game. This is her third ACL and first on the right knee. she is a junior and was non contact. I do believe fatigue was part of it along with genetics and i have heard a certain time of the month can play a factor and the last 3 ACLs between my 2 daughters happened in that time. My daughter plays on a really bad high school team and she is the only club player. She plays center back and is the leading scorer and is making full field runs the whole game. she is scheduled for surgery Feb 6 and her older sister meets with the same surgeon Feb 5 to get cleared to go back to soccer after her ACL (7 months). My youngest was out 2 years with back to back ACLs and has been back playing a year and half before doing it again. She is absolutely heart broken as am I. first ACL we did hamstring because growth plates not closed and patella tendon for the second and third. her sister tore her ACL 1 time and we did patella tendon. Sorry for the rambling and jumping around.
I'm so sorry. We on this thread certainly know the feeling. That is a long string of bad luck... I wish a successful surgery and speedy recovery cycle for your DD. Hope she returns to soccer if that's what she wants. All the best to her!

Back