ACL Injuries

Update on younger daughters ACL.... This one (third) has definitely been the worst yet from the recovery stand point. Everything has been a battle and she had to go back under after 3 weeks to break up the scar tissue because she was not getting bend in her knee. After that it was a bending machine for 3 weeks. its 100% been a mental block for her and she's really struggled physically and mentally this time around. I was naive to think since this was the 3rd time it would be easier since she has already been through it but i was wrong. She decided she was done with soccer and i think thats a big part of it then add on top of that quarantined from your friends and teammates. as a junior on a team full of seniors its hard for her to see them getting ready to go off to college to play soccer and you wont have that chance. she is a fighter and is getting better day by day but its taken us a lot longer to get here. I honestly believe all of this will make her a stronger person and be able to face adversity as an adult much better

Update older daughters ACL... She was cleared to go back to soccer and was able to practice with her team for a few weeks before they shut down. It worked out great for her because she was able to get some confidence on the knee and now when the team gets back she will be 13 months post surgery. still working her butt off on her own with the ball and in the weight room.

Update on younger daughters ACL.... This one (third) has definitely been the worst yet from the recovery stand point. Everything has been a battle and she had to go back under after 3 weeks to break up the scar tissue because she was not getting bend in her knee. After that it was a bending machine for 3 weeks. its 100% been a mental block for her and she's really struggled physically and mentally this time around. I was naive to think since this was the 3rd time it would be easier since she has already been through it but i was wrong. She decided she was done with soccer and i think thats a big part of it then add on top of that quarantined from your friends and teammates. as a junior on a team full of seniors its hard for her to see them getting ready to go off to college to play soccer and you wont have that chance. she is a fighter and is getting better day by day but its taken us a lot longer to get here. I honestly believe all of this will make her a stronger person and be able to face adversity as an adult much better

Update older daughters ACL... She was cleared to go back to soccer and was able to practice with her team for a few weeks before they shut down. It worked out great for her because she was able to get some confidence on the knee and now when the team gets back she will be 13 months post surgery. still working her butt off on her own with the ball and in the weight room.
My heart brakes for your younger daughter. So sorry man. Maybe as time goes on she'll feel better physcially and get back to it or at least find peace with her decision not to play. Congrats on your older daughter. Mine is in the same position. She was cleared for contact and had 2 team practices before things shut down. Since then, she's gotten even more fit. I suppose this lock down has been somewhat of a blessing, in terms of giving more time to fully heal and reduce risk further. I wish both your kids all the best. Keep everyone posted.

Sorry to hear this. Prayers for your daughters, especially the youngest. She is an amazing, resilient young lady. I don't know ANYONE who can endure what she's going through, and not have a hard time (to put it mildly). It must be hard to watch her go through all this...and it will be a hard year with everything happening around her...but I believe God has something bigger in store for her beyond soccer. It sounds cliche...but I really believe it.

My heart brakes for your younger daughter. So sorry man. Maybe as time goes on she'll feel better physcially and get back to it or at least find peace with her decision not to play. Congrats on your older daughter. Mine is in the same position. She was cleared for contact and had 2 team practices before things shut down. Since then, she's gotten even more fit. I suppose this lock down has been somewhat of a blessing, in terms of giving more time to fully heal and reduce risk further. I wish both your kids all the best. Keep everyone posted.
Thank You Dubs... I wanted to make sure i shared the hard times and not just the easy times. every kid is different and each time for the same kid can also be different.

Sorry to hear this. Prayers for your daughters, especially the youngest. She is an amazing, resilient young lady. I don't know ANYONE who can endure what she's going through, and not have a hard time (to put it mildly). It must be hard to watch her go through all this...and it will be a hard year with everything happening around her...but I believe God has something bigger in store for her beyond soccer. It sounds cliche...but I really believe it.
Thank You Zen i agree

My DD was recently fully cleared to play, no more brace, YAY. She was saying it was slowing her down, I thought she had just lost a step. No, it really held her back and she seems quicker than before. Her ECNL team just went through "tryouts" and they were all slated to return and the last series of the scrimmage, one of our best defenders went down-non contact. Torn ACL and surgery soon. I swear it hurts so much to see another great kid have to go through this. This thread has given me so much info and hope and we have become the ambassadors to try and help those in our club that have to endure this. Our club has 2 ECNL teams and for the 04 age group there are 3 that are less than 6 months post op and now one more. It is such a long road

Oh man. Sorry to hear that. I’ve been wondering if this long break will be better or worse for acl tears.
I know teams need to fill rosters, but is throwing players into immediate competitive environments a good idea? I’m sure they’ve all been doing work on their own- but it’s not the same as a competitive game.

Great point. They have only been training a couple of days a week for the past few weeks. This kid was quite the athlete, probably the quickest one out there and looked like the stud she is. Going all out for a 90 minute tryout so soon may have been too much.

My DD was recently fully cleared to play, no more brace, YAY. She was saying it was slowing her down, I thought she had just lost a step. No, it really held her back and she seems quicker than before. Her ECNL team just went through "tryouts" and they were all slated to return and the last series of the scrimmage, one of our best defenders went down-non contact. Torn ACL and surgery soon. I swear it hurts so much to see another great kid have to go through this. This thread has given me so much info and hope and we have become the ambassadors to try and help those in our club that have to endure this. Our club has 2 ECNL teams and for the 04 age group there are 3 that are less than 6 months post op and now one more. It is such a long road
So sorry to hear that and it truly sucks for any player in any sport. Been there and done it. Rehab sucks too and those who come back I have even more props for. Good luck this year and hope to see you guys soon :)

Thats really sad to hear and I fill bad for kids. I do have a question though, If there are just coming back why is the coach having players scrimmage at all? When coming back from a long break players should be stretching, jogging and touches on the ball no? I hope for a speedy recovery.

So true. We have had some training sessions (less than 10) but to subject the players to high effort "tryouts" after such a long break probably wasn't too helpful. We have on our teamsnap scheduled in Aug Surf and a local tune up tournament. Who knows if these take place and I think last year, ECNL started about the third week of Aug. Like Timbuck said training on your own isn't like competitive games.

My kids have been training on their own. I've been impressed by them actually. But they both had a small group session this week and they were wiped out after it. It's just different being in a group. They didn't do any 1v1, SSG or scrimmages - just individual work at a higher intensity with more cutting movements than theyve done on their own.

My kids have been training on their own. I've been impressed by them actually. But they both had a small group session this week and they were wiped out after it. It's just different being in a group. They didn't do any 1v1, SSG or scrimmages - just individual work at a higher intensity with more cutting movements than theyve done on their own.
So true. We have had some training sessions (less than 10) but to subject the players to high effort "tryouts" after such a long break probably wasn't too helpful. We have on our teamsnap scheduled in Aug Surf and a local tune up tournament. Who knows if these take place and I think last year, ECNL started about the third week of Aug. Like Timbuck said training on your own isn't like competitive games.
Hope to see you and your team at Surf. Hear more teams are start applying.

Just curious, do your teams regularly perform any of the ACL injury prevention exercise routines?

Back