Academic v athletic scholarship

Are you aware of the recent rule changes that allowed visits to begin in the junior year? This would’ve been the first fall that it could happen so most kids and coaches were planning on kids taking multiple official visits before committing. These new rules were to allow kids to visit on the schools dime as well as get to know coaches and programs prior to committing.

now that won’t take effect but the old way of doing it (travel on own dime, commit then take official during senior year) should be over.

Are you aware of the recent rule changes that allowed visits to begin in the junior year? This would’ve been the first fall that it could happen so most kids and coaches were planning on kids taking multiple official visits before committing. These new rules were to allow kids to visit on the schools dime as well as get to know coaches and programs prior to committing.

now that won’t take effect but the old way of doing it (travel on own dime, commit then take official during senior year) should be over.
I doubt it. You only get one trip paid to a school. Coaches will want to use that on committed recruits in the fall of their senior year. Plus with funding shortages you really think they are going to spend (or even have) money on uncommitted HS kids? This ain’t football or basketball.

From what I heard coaches were going to use the visit on uncommitted kids that otherwise wouldn’t pay to visit that school. Now we won’t know how it’s used for a while, but everything I heard was that coaches would use the visit in the junior year to get kids on campus. Schools that asked uncommitted kids to visit on their own dime take a huge risk that those kids never come. ESP when other schools are paying for them to visit.

Each kid can take 5 visits during their junior and senior year. Only one visit per school, but they can visit 5 schools officially. So if a program is seriously interested, they will fly them in, and pay the expenses.

Which one of you has already been through the process and have actually had your kid out on paid recruiting trips? Please speak up. I can only speak for my dd and all of her former players that she played with. None of them got paid recruiting trips until they committed and it was during the fall of their senior season. That is about 22 college players with about 17 playing D1. Just saying

Which one of you has already been through the process and have actually had your kid out on paid recruiting trips? Please speak up. I can only speak for my dd and all of her former players that she played with. None of them got paid recruiting trips until they committed and it was during the fall of their senior season. That is about 22 college players with about 17 playing D1. Just saying
I'm only dreaming it for her but know it's 1% chance of that happening. I plan on paying for the visits btw. I hope each coach will take the time to meet my dd and get to know her a little and she will get to know them as well and then take some time and then make a decision.

the rule literally just changed. That’s what we are talking about. With the new rule change allowing for 5 paid visits with no on campus contact allowed prior to junior year, will you take some or all of them before committing? Not how it was... how it is now with the new rule change. Are you aware the recruiting rules changed this year?

now those changes are on hold. No officials or even unofficials for a long time. So my question was: since calls and offers can happen Monday but no visits, will your kids commit without having visited?

the rule literally just changed. That’s what we are talking about. With the new rule change allowing for 5 paid visits with no on campus contact allowed prior to junior year, will you take some or all of them before committing? Not how it was... how it is now with the new rule change. Are you aware the recruiting rules changed this year?

now those changes are on hold. No officials or even unofficials for a long time. So my question was: since calls and offers can happen Monday but no visits, will your kids commit without having visited?

The rule delayed the communication (and verbal commitment) timeline. 5 paid visits were always allowed. I think come Monday you’ll find Simisoccerfan is right and the change has little bearing on how recruiting trips are handled. If anything, budgets are tighter than normal now. Yes, most kids will be asked to commit prior to a paid for visit. You can always visit on your own. It’s not a lot of players that will be catered to in the way you are hoping.

It was years ago, and it was on the men's side. My younger son got housing and meals at two different D1 schools over weekends in the fall of his senior year, and I got a breakfast ticket at one of those schools. We didn't ask for anything more, I paid for our transportation and most of my own meals. My older son got housing and meals over a weekend at a D2 school, and I paid for everything else. One of their HS teammates a couple of years younger got the full treatment - flight, meals, lodging, on a game weekend and I took hm to and from the airport - in his Senior HS year before he committed anywhere. That kid was really tuned into the rules - when we went out for dinner after the game, he insisted on paying for his own meal.

The rule delayed the communication (and verbal commitment) timeline. 5 paid visits were always allowed. I think come Monday you’ll find Simisoccerfan is right and the change has little bearing on how recruiting trips are handled. If anything, budgets are tighter than normal now. Yes, most kids will be asked to commit prior to a paid for visit. You can always visit on your own. It’s not a lot of players that will be catered to in the way you are hoping.

Between COVID and tighter budgets, i bet we see more kids targeting schools closer to home anyway, where it’s relatively easy to drive to campus for a quick look around on an unofficial visit.

@Simisoccerfan is 100% correct. My DD and her entire recruiting class had their official visit together as Juniors. I guess it's possible official visits can happen their Junior year without a committment, but given what's been said about budgets, they'll most likely work it as I described.

It’s a moot point this year as visits won’t be allowed at all (official or unofficial until who knows when).

but if the rule change had gone thru the top schools would have brought kids in for a visit before commitments. If a jerk coach asked for a commitment before paying for a visit then that’s on them.
This would’ve been the first fall where the rule change (no communication or visits prior to a certain date), so we won’t know what change it would’ve had. But the coaches I know were prepared to offer paid visits to their top junior recruits.

I'm not sure I agree. Take COVID out of the equation and from our experience (Simi will tell you the same) the coaches are going to save those $$ for other things than official visits. They can and have gotten away with having girls come in for unofficial visits and accomplished pretty much the same thing sans picking up the tab for flights and weekend hotel stays. This may have been how it went down years prior, but now the official visit is used, budget wise, for what happened with my DD. Committments these days, by in large, are long done before the official visit. If someone else (recently) had a different experience, I'm listening.

It’s a moot point this year as visits won’t be allowed at all (official or unofficial until who knows when).

but if the rule change had gone thru the top schools would have brought kids in for a visit before commitments. If a jerk coach asked for a commitment before paying for a visit then that’s on them.
This would’ve been the first fall where the rule change (no communication or visits prior to a certain date), so we won’t know what change it would’ve had. But thec oaches I know were prepared to offer paid visits to their top junior recruits.

I'm not sure I agree. Take COVID out of the equation and from our experience (Simi will tell you the same) the coaches are going to save those $$ for other things than official visits. They can and have gotten away with having girls come in for unofficial visits and accomplished pretty much the same thing sans picking up the tab for flights and weekend hotel stays. This may have been how it went down years prior, but now the official visit is used, budget wise, for what happened with my DD. Committments these days, by in large, are long done before the official visit. If someone else (recently) had a different experience, I'm listening.

They can also invite players to their summer or November player ID camps and charge $100 for what is essentially an onfield tryout.

If the school really, really, really likes your player they will pay for her to visit the school to try to ensure a commitment. It does happen, I know. It isn't very common and I wouldn't expect it but it can happen for certain players

Many colleges do not offer the official visit prior to committing. They seem to want to save the official paid trip for during the fall season of the commits Senior year in HS to bring in all of the committed girls on a weekend were home games are played. You only get one paid trip to any school. They also tend to do alot of PR stuff during that trip for the upcoming recruiting class. I don't know of any girls getting paid trips prior to committing. I know it happens but not often.

One of my players had 3 paid trips before committing but that was like 10 years ago :p I'm sure things will change again with these new rules.

One of my players had 3 paid trips before committing but that was like 10 years ago :p I'm sure things will change again with these new rules.
I am speculating here, but with football crowds (either none or greatly reduced) at serious risk in the fall (i.e., what pays the bills for other sports), I would expect athletic directors at many/most universities to tighten up budgets to try to ensure they don’t incur large losses this year. Travel for any company is always an easy expense to cut, so I would not be counting on paid visits this year (maybe next year, too).

The rule JUST changed. There is no early commitments anymore. Coaches can’t talk, offer or host kids until their junior year. Early commitments from freshman and sophs are over.

June 15 after soph year is first contact.
Fall official visit during junior year
Then commitments. That’s what the rule change is intended to do. To help prevent parents from having to pay for the visits. This would’ve been the first fall with this in place so what’s happened the past years with early commitments before official visits were allowed is not an accurate comparison.

The rule JUST changed. There is no early commitments anymore. Coaches can’t talk, offer or host kids until their junior year. Early commitments from freshman and sophs are over.

June 15 after soph year is first contact.
Fall official visit during junior year
Then commitments. That’s what the rule change is intended to do. To help prevent parents from having to pay for the visits. This would’ve been the first fall with this in place so what’s happened the past years with early commitments before official visits were allowed is not an accurate comparison.

You got it wrong. The rule change had nothing to do with having parents not pay for trips. Instead it was all about girls committing when they were too young. Good luck if you think your kid is going to get paid trips so a school can sell them to her.

Back