3 new innovations for goalkeepers in world football

For 1 to work it would have to be a short free kick where the wall is inside the PA. In the wall the wall is suppose to guard the near post...the keeper is solely responsible for the far post....if it goes over the wall that's on the defender for mistiming the jump (not the keeper). Strikers will usually aim it over the wall because a direct shot at the far post is an easy stop for the keeper since the keeper has positioned well to guard that area. But by removing the keeper, you've given them a clear shot on an empty net. Or alternatively they can place it to a running striker to head it into the empty net. It relies entirely on the kicking player to not notice the goalkeeper because they are fixated on the wall.

2.relies on the shooter being shocked as you say If not, it's easy to pass around the keeper. Again to be any kind of threat the keeper would need to be inside the PA.

3 is very dangerous. You'd have to have a very fast keeper or be looking for a point when you are behind and the clock is running out. Otherwise one mistake in possession and it's an easy goal.

1&2 are not innovations but more tricks that they are hoping to confuse the striker. It only works a handful of times until the striker or keeper has seen them. In one game my son was facing a very fast AYSO team that had moved up that season. The opposite coach on a DFK called out a set play where the striker kicks it under the jumping wall. The opposite coach was sure it was an easy goal figuring my son had never seen it. He had (on TV several times) and he'd drilled it 10 or 15 times. The disappointment was palpable.

3 isn't an innovation so much as a tactic if you are behind. My son's done it on FIFA before.
Yes, I stand corrected! Messi's set piece goal at the 2016 Copa America was taken alot further back from the top of the 18 yard box than I remembered. No, this would not be a good time for my second covert tactic.

Yes, but there might not be a counter attack if the shooter scores, or If the keeper scores off of a rebound. And if the keepers team regains possession of the ball, no quick counter attack. But what is most likely to happen here is that the ball will go out of bounds which also means no quick counter attack. The keeper has plenty of time to get back in his goal.

I think you're excessively bored. How about you come up with a goalkeeping glove that doesn't shred after 20 minutes? THAT would be innovative.

Now the goal of the century so far in my opinion involved a jumping wall. The goal was scored by Ronaldinho, but I can't remember if it was for Brazil or his club. Talk about a covert tactic! He fooled everyone! He slid that ball at a surprisingly moderate pace undernearh their feet like jumping rope, but the goalkeeper did not have a clue what happened until he saw the ball in his net!

My sons has this against him twice. The second time was the greatest. Coach was sure it would fool him. Against a properly trained keeper this won’t work. Gk coaches train it as part of their wall sessions. Son had seen this goal and several other copy cats. Very simple piece of cake unless the striker can get it both under the wall and directly on the opposite corner. It usually won’t have a whole lot of pace on it or it can’t make it under the wall. The coach who tried it threw his clipboard down when it happened.

Back