3 new innovations for goalkeepers in world football

Now, before I write about goalkeeping in the past in comparaison to the present, I would like to talk about 3 innovations that seem to be evolving in the present, and could be common place in the future. Now I chose the word innovations because I have never seen any three of these things before as a player or as a spectator watching world football on TV up to the present day. So if you have seen these things before, please correct me.

These innovations have to do with 3 new ways goalkeepers can think about set pieces. They do not have to stay on their lines.

1) On a set pièce, a goalkeeper can use his own wall to conceal himself. The GK can covertly sneak up right behind his wall. Now this has to be done quickly in order to decieve the shooter. Now most set pièces usually travel right over the walls heads on the way to the goal, but if two arms and hands suddenly appear above the wall as the shot is taken, guess what is going to happen? The keeper can deflect the ball back all the way to the halfway line before it even passes the wall, let alone the goal. The whole point of this innovation is their will be

NO SHOT ON GOAL!

So, if you are faceing someone like Ronaldo or Messi or someone on any other level who has a better than 50% chance of scoreing, this is something a goalkeeper might want to 'keep' in his bag of tricks.

Now, before I write about goalkeeping in the past in comparaison to the present, I would like to talk about 3 innovations that seem to be evolving in the present, and could be common place in the future. Now I chose the word innovations because I have never seen any three of these things before as a player or as a spectator watching world football on TV up to the present day. So if you have seen these things before, please correct me.

These innovations have to do with 3 new ways goalkeepers can think about set pieces. They do not have to stay on their lines.

1) On a set pièce, a goalkeeper can use his own wall to conceal himself. The GK can covertly sneak up right behind his wall. Now this has to be done quickly in order to decieve the shooter. Now most set pièces usually travel right over the walls heads on the way to the goal, but if two arms and hands suddenly appear above the wall as the shot is taken, guess what is going to happen? The keeper can deflect the ball back all the way to the halfway line before it even passes the wall, let alone the goal. The whole point of this innovation is their will be

NO SHOT ON GOAL!

So, if you are faceing someone like Ronaldo or Messi or someone on any other level who has a better than 50% chance of scoreing, this is something a goalkeeper might want to 'keep' in his bag of tricks.
2) I call this innovation the 'Shock Formation" on set pieces. This is when the wall and the goalkeeper switch places. The wall moves back to protect the goal, and the keeper is standing right in front of the shooter near the top of the 18 yard box. Yes, the keeper will get the first look at the shot. This is going to confuse the heck out of the shooter, his team mates, as well as anyone else who sees this because the keeper appears right in front of the shooter like a Jack out of a box. Any attempt to shoot around the keeper will result in the ball flying safely over the cross bar, because from innovation #1, the keeper can cover more area with arms and hands, not just the height of a wall. This formation is désigned to....

PREVENT A SHOT ON GOAL.

Because the shooter, who is in "shock" may simply elect to play the ball back into the run of play. This means everyone must fall back into their positions as quickly as they did when they moved into this formation.

Now this can only be done once in a game, and it cannot be used very often. As a matter of fact, there has to be a conspiracy between the keeper and the players that are going to be makeing up the wall. None ot the keepers other team mates can know about this, not even the coach, because the cat has to stay in the bag here.

Now let's apply this innovation to réality. I would like to draw your attention to USA vs Argentina at the 2016 Copa America. The set piece, Messi vs Guzan. This would have been the perfect opportunity for the "Shock Formation". If this happens, Messi does not score, and if he does not score, the résult of that match could have been different.

Like I said before, the best set piece shooter on any team on any level has a better than 50% chance of scoreing. And if you are a goalkeeper, you do not like these odds! So this second innovation is yet another trick that a goalkeeper can 'keep' in his bag.

2) I call this innovation the 'Shock Formation" on set pieces. This is when the wall and the goalkeeper switch places. The wall moves back to protect the goal, and the keeper is standing right in front of the shooter near the top of the 18 yard box. Yes, the keeper will get the first look at the shot. This is going to confuse the heck out of the shooter, his team mates, as well as anyone else who sees this because the keeper appears right in front of the shooter like a Jack out of a box. Any attempt to shoot around the keeper will result in the ball flying safely over the cross bar, because from innovation #1, the keeper can cover more area with arms and hands, not just the height of a wall. This formation is désigned to....

PREVENT A SHOT ON GOAL.

Because the shooter, who is in "shock" may simply elect to play the ball back into the run of play. This means everyone must fall back into their positions as quickly as they did when they moved into this formation.

Now this can only be done once in a game, and it cannot be used very often. As a matter of fact, there has to be a conspiracy between the keeper and the players that are going to be makeing up the wall. None ot the keepers other team mates can know about this, not even the coach, because the cat has to stay in the bag here.

Now let's apply this innovation to réality. I would like to draw your attention to USA vs Argentina at the 2016 Copa America. The set piece, Messi vs Guzan. This would have been the perfect opportunity for the "Shock Formation". If this happens, Messi does not score, and if he does not score, the résult of that match could have been different.

Like I said before, the best set piece shooter on any team on any level has a better than 50% chance of scoreing. And if you are a goalkeeper, you do not like these odds! So this second innovation is yet another trick that a goalkeeper can 'keep' in his bag.
3) If you are detecting a pattern here, you are correct. With these new innovations, the goalkeeper seems to be moving further and further from from his line on set pieces.

The third innovation also involves a set piece, but it is a set piece for YOUR team on the other side of the feild! Now keep this in mind. Goalkeepers do not stand at the top of the 18 yard box when all of the action is on the other side of the feild like we did in the old days. We are now in the era of the keeper/sweeper.

When your team has a free kick right outsider the box, the keeper can simply run at full speed and enter the box onside as the shot is being taken.

The keeper will not be marked as he enters the box because no one is expecting this, not even his own team mates.

This will not be an exausting run, because the keeper is already well out of his own 18 yard box. If the timeing is right, the keeper may be able to redirect the ball on goal, but the most likely way a goalkeeper can score here is off of a rebound, because if the ball gets between the keeper and the goal, it will not take much skill to force the ball in.

Let's talk about the risk/reward factor here. If a goal is not scored in this scénario, and if the defending team regains possession quickly, the keeper should have enough time to get back into his goal. And if the ball goes out of bounds, the keeper will have even more time to get back. And if there is a corner kick, the keeper can hang around just a little bit longer. And of course, the ultimate reward will be if the keeper actually scores a goal.

Unlike the last two innovations, this can be done multiple times during a match with very low risk. Now if the keeper is going to be running up and down the feild like his team mates, he will have to be fit and in good condition as far as endurance.

Now let's apply this innovation to reality. Of all of the top flight professional goalkeepers, who do you think is most likely to pull a shunt like this? You guessed it! Manuel Neuer of Germany. You know, he already has this keeper/stepper thing almost entirely figured out. He is the only goalkeeper that I have ever seen that did a variation of this. When there is only a few minutes left, and his team is down a goal or two, he pulls the ice hockey manuever, when the goaltender comes out so the extra attacker can come on. But he dosen't have to wait until the final minutes of à game to do this.

Can you imagine if he or another goalkeeper were to score a consequential goal like this in the knockout stages of let's say the Euros? I can!

So if you are watching an important match, club or international, and there is a garden variety set piece, it may not be of the garden variety at all. You may not expect this, but keep your eye on the goalkeeper on the other side of the feild.

Now, for any goalkeeper here who might decide to try these innovations, do not try it in a match first. The practice pitch is the perfect place to conduct experiments like this.

And the deciding factor as to wether or not any three of these things will work for you is all about timing, and when to make these shifts off of your line on set peices. Timing décisions that are made within fractions of a second.

And these innovations can mean the difference between a goal or no goal. These innovations can décide à match, win or lose. These things can also determine champions and titles.

And on the highest level it could be the difference as to which team will lift that Silver trophy over their heads next year, or even that gold one the year after that!

When your team has a free kick right outsider the box, the keeper can simply run at full speed and enter the box onside as the shot is being taken.
The keeper will not be marked as he enters the box because no one is expecting this, not even his own team mates.

If I see this being set up, I tell one of my forwards to stick on the halfway line like glue and all clearances go as hard as possible up the field. The ball moves faster than the person-- game over.

If I see this being set up, I tell one of my forwards to stick on the halfway line like glue and all clearances go as hard as possible up the field. The ball moves faster than the person-- game over.
Not even sure you need the forward.

Hitting an open goal from 70 yards out is possible.

It is the one time that we all appreciate kick ball.

NO SHOT ON GOAL!

This might be the single worst idea I've ever seen.

PREVENT A SHOT ON GOAL.

This is the 2nd worst idea I've ever heard. I suppose you think a quick, 1 touch pass beyond the keeper's reach isn't possible.

3) If you are detecting a pattern here, you are correct. With these new innovations, the goalkeeper seems to be moving further and further from from his line on set pieces.

The third innovation also involves a set piece, but it is a set piece for YOUR team on the other side of the feild! Now keep this in mind. Goalkeepers do not stand at the top of the 18 yard box when all of the action is on the other side of the feild like we did in the old days. We are now in the era of the keeper/sweeper.

This will not be an exausting run, because the keeper is already well out of his own 18 yard box. If the timeing is right, the keeper may be able to redirect the ball on goal, but the most likely way a goalkeeper can score here is off of a rebound, because if the ball gets between the keeper and the goal, it will not take much skill to force the ball in.

Let's talk about the risk/reward factor here. If a goal is not scored in this scénario, and if the defending team regains possession quickly, the keeper should have enough time to get back into his goal. And if the ball goes out of bounds, the keeper will have even more time to get back. And if there is a corner kick, the keeper can hang around just a little bit longer. And of course, the ultimate reward will be if the keeper actually scores a goal.

Unlike the last two innovations, this can be done multiple times during a match with very low risk. Now if the keeper is going to be running up and down the feild like his team mates, he will have to be fit and in good condition as far as endurance.

Now let's apply this innovation to reality. Of all of the top flight professional goalkeepers, who do you think is most likely to pull a shunt like this? You guessed it! Manuel Neuer of Germany. You know, he already has this keeper/stepper thing almost entirely figured out. He is the only goalkeeper that I have ever seen that did a variation of this. When there is only a few minutes left, and his team is down a goal or two, he pulls the ice hockey manuever, when the goaltender comes out so the extra attacker can come on. But he dosen't have to wait until the final minutes of à game to do this.

Can you imagine if he or another goalkeeper were to score a consequential goal like this in the knockout stages of let's say the Euros? I can!

So if you are watching an important match, club or international, and there is a garden variety set piece, it may not be of the garden variety at all. You may not expect this, but keep your eye on the goalkeeper on the other side of the feild.

Now, for any goalkeeper here who might decide to try these innovations, do not try it in a match first. The practice pitch is the perfect place to conduct experiments like this.

And the deciding factor as to wether or not any three of these things will work for you is all about timing, and when to make these shifts off of your line on set peices. Timing décisions that are made within fractions of a second.

And these innovations can mean the difference between a goal or no goal. These innovations can décide à match, win or lose. These things can also determine champions and titles.

And on the highest level it could be the difference as to which team will lift that Silver trophy over their heads next year, or even that gold one the year after that!

And the Trifecta! Are you familiar with the term "counter attack"?

For 1 to work it would have to be a short free kick where the wall is inside the PA. In the wall the wall is suppose to guard the near post...the keeper is solely responsible for the far post....if it goes over the wall that's on the defender for mistiming the jump (not the keeper). Strikers will usually aim it over the wall because a direct shot at the far post is an easy stop for the keeper since the keeper has positioned well to guard that area. But by removing the keeper, you've given them a clear shot on an empty net. Or alternatively they can place it to a running striker to head it into the empty net. It relies entirely on the kicking player to not notice the goalkeeper because they are fixated on the wall.

2.relies on the shooter being shocked as you say If not, it's easy to pass around the keeper. Again to be any kind of threat the keeper would need to be inside the PA.

3 is very dangerous. You'd have to have a very fast keeper or be looking for a point when you are behind and the clock is running out. Otherwise one mistake in possession and it's an easy goal.

1&2 are not innovations but more tricks that they are hoping to confuse the striker. It only works a handful of times until the striker or keeper has seen them. In one game my son was facing a very fast AYSO team that had moved up that season. The opposite coach on a DFK called out a set play where the striker kicks it under the jumping wall. The opposite coach was sure it was an easy goal figuring my son had never seen it. He had (on TV several times) and he'd drilled it 10 or 15 times. The disappointment was palpable.

3 isn't an innovation so much as a tactic if you are behind. My son's done it on FIFA before.

Game over? Not nessesarily, If your team has a two goal lead. Yes, the worst case scenario will result in a goal agianst in less than 30 seconds, but if it's late or in stoppage time, your team will probably win two goals to one. The best case scenario is your team will seal the deal with a three to nothing victory.

Game over? Not nessesarily, If your team has a two goal lead. Yes, the worst case scenario will result in a goal agianst in less than 30 seconds, but if it's late or in stoppage time, your team will probably win two goals to one. The best case scenario is your team will seal the deal with a three to nothing victory.
In hockey, you dont normally pull the goalie unless you are losing.
Why else would you take a 20% chance of conceding a goal in exchange for a 5% chance of scoring?

Yes, the score of the game will be a major factor in determining when these three innovations, or more accuratley, covert tactics will be considered.

Why have your defender take an 60-80 mph shot to the dome when they don’t need to. I’m all for innovation and trial and error, but am not too sure about taking risky chances in the defensive third. Score definitely is a big part of the equation.

Well, I guess the wall and the GK switching places isn't so crazy that no one would try it (or at least a variant in which the GK is a part of the wall)

They shot right over the Gk and a defender saved it with his head
Well, I guess the wall and the GK switching places isn't so crazy that no one would try it (or at least a variant in which the GK is a part of the wall)

They shot right over the Gk and a defender saved it with his head
Wow! It actually worked! The keeper got a hand on the shot and the wall saved a goal. The only problem is was this team was in that formation way to long before the shot. On the highest levels of football this will not work because there was no element of surprise.

For either of the first two covert tactics I described, the shift into these formations has to take place simultaniously when the shooter is running toward the ball, because he is looking down at the ball and will not see the shift as it is takeing place.

Of course, once the keeper shifts into formation, the reach of a goalkeeper is much higher rhan the heads of a wall, even if they jump.

Now the goal of the century so far in my opinion involved a jumping wall. The goal was scored by Ronaldinho, but I can't remember if it was for Brazil or his club. Talk about a covert tactic! He fooled everyone! He slid that ball at a surprisingly moderate pace undernearh their feet like jumping rope, but the goalkeeper did not have a clue what happened until he saw the ball in his net!

And the Trifecta! Are you familiar with the term "counter attack"?
Yes, but there might not be a counter attack if the shooter scores, or If the keeper scores off of a rebound. And if the keepers team regains possession of the ball, no quick counter attack. But what is most likely to happen here is that the ball will go out of bounds which also means no quick counter attack. The keeper has plenty of time to get back in his goal.

Back