2021 Women's D1 Soccer Talk - NEW THREAD!!!!!

If they moved the game because of vegan beliefs, he would have been fine with it. But because it's a mormon belief/practice, it must be made fun of.

I saw it as common courtesy and respect for a University with a rich sports tradition. Additional rest for the players is never a bad thing.

I will admit that my initial take was not supportive but, in the end, it sounds like this arrangement was agreed to prior to the tournament and I never heard any complaints from FSU or Rutgers and the additional rest is always better for the athletes so I came around. Seeing the crowd last night told me that moving it to Monday had no impact at the venue as it seemed electric. I do hope that no FSU families had to miss out b/c of the Sunday/Monday uncertainty.

If they moved the game because of vegan beliefs, he would have been fine with it. But because it's a mormon belief/practice, it must be made fun of.

I saw it as common courtesy and respect for a University with a rich sports tradition. Additional rest for the players is never a bad thing.

Vegan? What brought that on?

They would have sent a nice letter accepting a forfeit rather than expect all other schools to bend to their wishes.

I will admit that my initial take was not supportive but, in the end, it sounds like this arrangement was agreed to prior to the tournament and I never heard any complaints from FSU or Rutgers and the additional rest is always better for the athletes so I came around. Seeing the crowd last night told me that moving it to Monday had no impact at the venue as it seemed electric. I do hope that no FSU families had to miss out b/c of the Sunday/Monday uncertainty.

How many parents and friends had to miss a day's work or pay higher travel costs because of this accommodation?

How many parents and friends had to miss a day's work or pay higher travel costs because of this accommodation?

Obviously I cannot answer that question and even if there is no impact on a day's work or higher travel cost, there is certainly an additional night's stay (and food associated with that). And I think those concerns are legitimate and I don't think it's an easy call at all. My point is that if all of this was known the participants in the FSU and Rutgers brackets (if you make it all the way and play BYU, then the final will be Monday), I think I fall on the side of a reasonable accommodation and better for the athletes to have an extra day of rest. (FWIW - I asked my college soccer playing kid (as far from religious as anyone I know) and she thought it was totally fine and would be worse to force BYU to play on Sunday or forfeit (which does not benefit anyone)).

Obviously I cannot answer that question and even if there is no impact on a day's work or higher travel cost, there is certainly an additional night's stay (and food associated with that). And I think those concerns are legitimate and I don't think it's an easy call at all. My point is that if all of this was known the participants in the FSU and Rutgers brackets (if you make it all the way and play BYU, then the final will be Monday), I think I fall on the side of a reasonable accommodation and better for the athletes to have an extra day of rest. (FWIW - I asked my college soccer playing kid (as far from religious as anyone I know) and she thought it was totally fine and would be worse to force BYU to play on Sunday or forfeit (which does not benefit anyone)).

Meanwhile, in the D3 final a few days back, the NCAA organizers refused a reasonable accommodation requested by all participants for a day of rest between the semis and the final.

Meanwhile, in the D3 final a few days back, the NCAA organizers refused a reasonable accommodation requested by all participants for a day of rest between the semis and the final.

That's a pretty outrageous schedule. One semi was decided in the 1st OT, the other in the 2d OT and they have to play the 'ship on ZERO days' rest? And zero days' rest was always in the schedule? And THAT game ends up being 110 mins?! I can understand the programs requesting an accommodation. But I don't think one has to do with the other - the fact that there wasn't an accommodation in the men's D3 tournament does not mean that there shouldn't be in the women's D1 tournament. It just shows that there is inconsistency w/in the NCAA (and nobody should be shocked that the NCAA does not put a premium on the health/safety of the athletes)

Vegan? What brought that on?

They would have sent a nice letter accepting a forfeit rather than expect all other schools to bend to their wishes.
Good thing they weren't vegan. We would have denied those players the experience of playing in a national championship game.

Back