2021 Women’s D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

Right - my point is that it is hard for me to believe that athletic departments are going to go to great lengths, and that the university at large will support such efforts, to use endowed funds in this way. It's not just soccer, it's all sports, so the potential $$$ is not small even if it is compared to a university's endowment. I think the theory is really sound but, in practice, if the season is bagged and eligibility is extended (like for spring 2020 sports), there will be a train wreck in terms of numbers and we don't really know what will happen. But to think that there will be little impact on players who have not signed NLIs and are still a year or 3 from proving themselves at the college level strikes me as wishful. It is what I wish, to be honest, as there are a lot of HS-age players I care about, but it is not what I'd expect to play out. Hopefully this is a non-issue.
14 athletic scholarships? What does a athletic scholarship consist of anyways? What does full mean? For example, if the player they like is 4.5 gpa and all word human and top top SAT, they might get a academic scholarship plus grants plus this and that. They might need only a 10% athletic money because their super talented student? Or, they could be ok student but the bomb soccer player. No academic but 80% athletic and 20% financial aid=full ride?

It was harder to justify algebra to the kid who wants to be a car mechanic. The one who knows every English and metric wrench by sight, and has rebuilt enough transmissions that he knows you don’t use algebra while you’re working on them.

I get what you are saying but even a mechanic especially on the older vehicles are using math with timing light or gear ratio or if they are modifying a vehicle their are ratios to be calculated. If they become a shop owner, there is plenty of math. My mechanic is a former mechanical engineer.

I am not great at math but use it daily. Often not thinking ugghh I got to math this problem.

The problem with math and other subjects in school, they beat up and discourage many folks Vegas guy. My nephew is a great example. His brain was a car and he can put anything together. Math, not really and he was poor in writing. He was made to feel like a loser so he just went to HS to make his mom happy. After hs, he went to work for auto shop place. He learned how to run a shop and later opened his own shop. He's on fire and was never in debt.

The problem with math and other subjects in school, they beat up and discourage many folks Vegas guy. My nephew is a great example. His brain was a car and he can put anything together. Math, not really and he was poor in writing. He was made to feel like a loser so he just went to HS to make his mom happy. After hs, he went to work for auto shop place. He learned how to run a shop and later opened his own shop. He's on fire and was never in debt.

But is that a math problem or a teaching problem. I feel there is a way to teach everything to make it palatable. Again I get college is not for everyone.

But is that a math problem or a teaching problem. I feel there is a way to teach everything to make it palatable. Again I get college is not for everyone.
Let me explain. The math from the past needs to change imo. The old way of judging and making fun of people because they suck at math is wrong. Anyway, I love math but hate the requirements and how some teachers make people feel if there weak in that subject. I hit another touchy subject I see. I love math :)

Let me explain. The math from the past needs to change imo. The old way of judging and making fun of people because they suck at math is wrong. Anyway, I love math but hate the requirements and how some teachers make people feel if there weak in that subject. I hit another touchy subject I see. I love math :)

Not touchy just realistic and although I am not good at it and my player is definitely not good at it, there is a part of math that still belongs on ACT/SAT. (IMO). You do not want to go to college do not take the tests. You want to go to school and not take the test go to a Cal State school (lol)

Not touchy just realistic and although I am not good at it and my player is definitely not good at it, there is a part of math that still belongs on ACT/SAT. (IMO). You do not want to go to college do not take the tests. You want to go to school and not take the test go to a Cal State school (lol)
Too many tests and when you see all the cheating, it makes it all the worse. I'm not saying all cheat, but many do and jump the line. I would like to see less test and judgement and a place for non math in college to help resolve the stress on the girls.

How do you judge admittance for athlete and NARP. Are the factors the same? Do athletes get treated differently.. where does the bias stop?

When are schools back for training? 45 days away from preseason!!!!

Not 100% confirmed yet but hearing reporting date of 7/26 or 7/27. One week of Covid testing and other physicals. Independant training that week. Then practice/training in pods of 8. Maybe for 1-2 weeks. Then full team practice. Training camp in Dorms but solo occupancy. Other changes in AT and locker rooms to limit occupancy and provide distancing. Also team is working on a plan to get the international students back into the country.

From the CDC:

With specific exceptions, foreign nationals who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days may not enter the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.

• China
  • Iran
  • European Schengen area(Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
  • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Brazil

What kind of Math Matters Big Time? Is their a level we can agree on at least for the average person not going to college or wants to do something in college that only basic math is required? Not all brains work well in math, you catch my drift? Just because one can read and write and count to 10 does not make them better then the other kids locked out of the system. I said this before and I wont say it again. The kind of basic math I'm promoting is how to save your money, how to protect yourself from scam artists and how to save some more money and balance a check book and work hard saving even more and not go into debt if at all possible.

Even if your kid goes into the trades, such as carpentry or cosmetology, Math skills are still used and the more practice with it the fewer challenges/mistakes a person will need to overcome.

Even if your kid goes into the trades, such as carpentry or cosmetology, Math skills are still used and the more practice with it the fewer challenges/mistakes a person will need to overcome.
Find, all you math lovers, you win. My gosh. Most girls hate math for obvious reasons. Keep selling it boys.........Sorry I brought math up.

generalization.
Look bro, my wife and I were the coolest youth leaders around back in the day. 15 years of service and really enjoyed it. Some kids felt they could be honest without getting into trouble with us for having a thought about math courses and how hard they are. They will tell you all to take math away if they could. Most, not all hate "math the class." We need better math classes that teach not to get into debt with student loans if possible, learn not to get cc as freshman on campus, learn how to balance a check book. Basic life math is a must.

Find, all you math lovers, you win. My gosh. Most girls hate math for obvious reasons. Keep selling it boys.........Sorry I brought math up.
My youngest DD loves math. She is planning to be an engineer. It comes very easily to her. If your daughter is struggling, try Khan Academy. It breaks everything down and makes it much easier to understand. Good luck!

Your assumptions about girls and boys is another blind spot. My daughter is an applied mathematics minor. She too would recommend Khan academy for any students that may struggle.
So sorry. What % of girls ((Not little Sally looking to go to college because it was a mandate from)) from 14-18 is an applied mathematics minor? I'm talking all females, not the 1% playing soccer? You know what, forget it, you win. I never said what I said about math. I take it all back. I have a new statement on Math. Math is very important and I'm truly sorry if I came across wrong. All girls truly love math class and can't wait for the next class in the Fall.

Last edited:
At least one Pac 12 school is reporting 6/29 - 7/5 3 days of quarantine and then they can start their voluntary workouts. Apparently the Pac 12 has petitioned the NCAA to have 8 hours of coached practices 4 hours with coaches and 4 hours with trainers, haven't heard the outcome of that yet.

At least one Pac 12 school is reporting 6/29 - 7/5 3 days of quarantine and then they can start their voluntary workouts. Apparently the Pac 12 has petitioned the NCAA to have 8 hours of coached practices 4 hours with coaches and 4 hours with trainers, haven't heard the outcome of that yet.
How do you feel about things right now? Do you have any level of confidence that the season will start on time? Obviously they will have a revised schedule but is there a feeling that things are moving forward? I just worry because of all the spikes happening right now.

Back