2021 Women’s D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

That is why math matters. You don't get any of those degrees without math.
And what U to you work for....lol????? This is old news and that data you can throw out the window. In 10 years I will be write and you will be wrong. Would you want to make a bet? How much debt to people owe for college in this country? Math matters especially when you owe so much money and you cant find a job. Imagine that. Trade schools are killing it btw and you dont need to know geometry or Trig to make a buck in life anymore or a lot of bucks for that matter. Plus, if you can play hoops you should be able to skip college and go to the NBA. Who the hell put that rule in place? And why?

And what U to you work for....lol????? This is old news and that data you can throw out the window. In 10 years I will be write and you will be wrong. Would you want to make a bet? How much debt to people owe for college in this country? Math matters especially when you owe so much money and you cant find a job. Imagine that. Trade schools are killing it btw and you dont need to know geometry or Trig to make a buck in life anymore or a lot of bucks for that matter. Plus, if you can play hoops you should be able to skip college and go to the NBA. Who the hell put that rule in place? And why?
I don’t know a carpenter that doesn’t know geometry or a plumber who doesn’t know algebra.

Even “blue collar” jobs require mathematical problem solving.

I don’t know a carpenter that doesn’t know geometry or a plumber who doesn’t know algebra.

Even “blue collar” jobs require mathematical problem solving.
What is wrong with all you about math and forcing it for two years in college? I'm talking about basic math, not two years of stuff you wont remember and it keeps smart cats out of some schools because it bring your score ((GPA down)) down. Unless you cheat like so many out there you get away with it. If A=B and C is T, then what the Hell is Z? A+9=11? OK. enough with math.

I want to give a shout out to my liberal arts math teacher at Rio Hondo College back in 90'. Without his grace on curve grading I would have not been excepted into Cal Poly. You see, I hated math and was really rebellious about it and its still coming out. The pain I have. I'm so good with numbers I do them all in my head. I'm not kidding. I am gifted. However, I thought I could sneak into Cal Poly without the math requirement of college level Algebra, I was so mad. i already was excepted but had to complete my freaking math requirement....oh oh I said. Anyway, based on my test, she said i need to take basic algebra and then take Algebra II. This was Spring Semester too and Cal Poly was September. I was in a deliema. I swear I prayed for help. Please help. Guess what. I took liberal arts math class in the summer, which was equivalent to Algebra II. A class in summer school one night a week. This teacher comes in saddles, shorts and Hawaiian shirt. Super liberal and said the following: "if you try and come to class and take all my test, you will get a C, no matter what your overall score." i got a 50% and dude gave me a B. I swear this is the hole truth and nothing but the truth." I didnt need no college level algebra to be a success in life.

Last edited:
I want to give a shout out to my liberal arts math teacher at Rio Hondo College back in 90'. Without his grace on curve grading I would have not been excepted into Cal Poly. You see, I hated math and was really rebellious about it and its still coming out. The pain I have. I'm so good with numbers I do them all in my head. I'm not kidding. I am gifted. However, I thought I could sneak into Cal Poly without the math requirement of college level Algebra, I was so mad. i already was excepted but had to complete my freaking math requirement....oh oh I said. Anyway, based on my test, she said i need to take basic algebra and then take Algebra II. This was Spring Semester too and Cal Poly was September. I was in a deliema. I swear I prayed for help. Please help. Guess what. I took liberal arts math class in the summer, which was equivalent to Algebra II. A class in summer school one night a week. This teacher comes in saddles, shorts and Hawaiian shirt. Super liberal and said the following: "if you try and come to class and take all my test, you will get a C, no matter what your overall score." i got a 50% and dude gave me a B. I swear this is the hole truth and nothing but the truth." I didnt need no college level algebra to be a success in life.
I'm guessing you received the same grace from your English teachers as well.

I'm guessing you received the same grace from your English teachers as well.
Yes and actually so many hear have been kind not to notice or say anything until you did. I also stuttered really, really bad in school and kids made fun and my test scores put me int the class of failures. How I made it out I have no idea.....

Yes and actually so many hear have been kind not to notice or say anything until you did. I also stuttered really, really bad in school and kids made fun and my test scores put me int the class of failures. How I made it out I have no idea.....
Not true. You have already been called out for grammar, spelling and stated that you couldn't care one bit. I think that you are far smarter than you lead everyone, by your ability to seemingly choose the most incorrect spelling of the words you use. e.g. isle versus aisle, hear and here, all of the "there's" and our and are etc. Plus you state that mathematics are difficult yet you also state that the numbers come to you in your head; able to spell "equivalent" correctly. It is as if you are some sort of savant "lorem ipsum" generator that almost makes sense.

Not true. You have already been called out for grammar, spelling and stated that you couldn't care one bit. I think that you are far smarter than you lead everyone, by your ability to seemingly choose the most incorrect spelling of the words you use. e.g. isle versus aisle, hear and here, all of the "there's" and our and are etc. Plus you state that mathematics are difficult yet you also state that the numbers come to you in your head; able to spell "equivalent" correctly. It is as if you are some sort of savant "lorem ipsum" generator that almost makes sense.

He's the only poster I have on auto-ignore.

OK, I do love math and I'm really good with quick numbers and sales commissions and % of what you get and what I get. My cut basically. I just don;t like the kind of math they feed the kids at the schools and use it against some as not being smart or using there brain the right way for success. Anyone who knows me nos I've attacked the way it is taught and how it hurts some females GPA and causes some kids to quit school all together. I also really really had a hard time reading and comp. Nouns, verbs, lite or light, right or write, whole or hole and since and sense to name just a few. My fast brain hated trying to sort all that stuff as a young lad. Teachers would tell me how wrong I was when I was just righting what sounded write. Its fund and I can type way faster than I used two. Just type and go from the deep thoughts of my mine. If I try to write the right way then I lose my train of thought in my head.

What is a genius savant?
Savant syndrome” is the name for a rare, but extraordinary, condition in which someone with serious mental impairment (often some form of autism) displays a spectacular “island of genius” amidst his overall disability. ... What all savants have in common is prodigious, almost uncanny memory.

Wow, I learned a new word today and I have memory that is insane. Why me I would ask myself. I surely dint ask to be born and brought to this planet at this time but I take my calling as a man should. Things will get better everyone. Two sides have to fight it all out to see who is more right. I have to go to bed now. Good night friends on the message board. Espy, Joe, Kicker, Messy, Ricky, Jumbo Jack and all my pals down in the minors at u10. Let's hope for a better tomorrow and sweet dreams and I mean that for all of you.

Math is a fundamental or core value and that includes algebra. Calc and Trig not fundamental but algebra is for sure. Give me a job any job and I can tell you how math applies daily. The simple answer is how much am I making vs. how much am I paid (taxes). But even a receptionist at a dental office uses math daily.

Math is a fundamental or core value and that includes algebra. Calc and Trig not fundamental but algebra is for sure. Give me a job any job and I can tell you how math applies daily. The simple answer is how much am I making vs. how much am I paid (taxes). But even a receptionist at a dental office uses math daily.
Sort of.

I used to have a bunch of kids in my class who asked the “when will I ever use this” question about algebra. It was easy to answer when they were undecided about their future. I could answer it with some variant of “maybe you want to be a veterinarian / biologist / businessman.”

It was harder to justify algebra to the kid who wants to be a car mechanic. The one who knows every English and metric wrench by sight, and has rebuilt enough transmissions that he knows you don’t use algebra while you’re working on them.

So I told him the truth. He’d never use algebra while working on cars. If he ever got rich enough to open his own shop, he’d go back to night school for accounting anyway. For him, all it did was tell vocational college whether he was the kind of kid who works hard.

He worked hard and got a B+. I’m sure he’s a good mechanic. But I doubt he’s used algebra since he left my class.

Let's say there is no season for a team with a squad of 26 players - 8 frosh, 7 sophs, 6 jrs and 5 srs - and the NCAA permits the seniors to return even if they've already used a red shirt year and let's say 3 of those 5 choose to return and there is less attrition from the underclass players. Do the math - there just are not as many slots for a recruiting class of 8 players (or 5 or 12). It's a logjam that would be created so something would need to give.

As I have written, I hope it does not come to that as I hope there is a season (assuming it can be played safely).

Not sure the large endowments will matter as this will be a function of NCAA rules and then what a specific athletic department is permitted under its budget. With an academic year (at least the fall term) with fewer students enrolled, I'd expect budget shortfalls to be common and if institutions are dipping into their endowments, I don't imagine that athletic departments will be that high on the list of priorities (even if allowed), and certainly the minor sports will suffer more.
Academic scholarships can be funded by endowments. Many if not most scholarship awards are a combination of academic and athletic. Also, by the time the player is a senior, (unless you are at Stanford, USC, UCLA or NC) the fast majority of them are ready to move on to the work force or graduate school. If they have eligibility remaining they can use that to help them get into a graduate program and play soccer at the new school.

Sort of.

I used to have a bunch of kids in my class who asked the “when will I ever use this” question about algebra. It was easy to answer when they were undecided about their future. I could answer it with some variant of “maybe you want to be a veterinarian / biologist / businessman.”

It was harder to justify algebra to the kid who wants to be a car mechanic. The one who knows every English and metric wrench by sight, and has rebuilt enough transmissions that he knows you don’t use algebra while you’re working on them.

So I told him the truth. He’d never use algebra while working on cars. If he ever got rich enough to open his own shop, he’d go back to night school for accounting anyway. For him, all it did was tell vocational college whether he was the kind of kid who works hard.

He worked hard and got a B+. I’m sure he’s a good mechanic. But I doubt he’s used algebra since he left my class.
If he has to do any fabrication or budgeting at home , he will be using algebra in some form.

Well, you can have it....lol!! Ok, a little Pre Al can help a little too. No more SAT is huge.

Sort of.

Thank you. Or, he can have his wife handle the books and maybe his son so he can relax and not take his job home to his family. Too many owners do it all and in todays world it's better to share. If you want to own it all, then by all means you better get your ass in business school and never get married.

Academic scholarships can be funded by endowments. Many if not most scholarship awards are a combination of academic and athletic. Also, by the time the player is a senior, (unless you are at Stanford, USC, UCLA or NC) the fast majority of them are ready to move on to the work force or graduate school. If they have eligibility remaining they can use that to help them get into a graduate program and play soccer at the new school.

Right - my point is that it is hard for me to believe that athletic departments are going to go to great lengths, and that the university at large will support such efforts, to use endowed funds in this way. It's not just soccer, it's all sports, so the potential $$$ is not small even if it is compared to a university's endowment. I think the theory is really sound but, in practice, if the season is bagged and eligibility is extended (like for spring 2020 sports), there will be a train wreck in terms of numbers and we don't really know what will happen. But to think that there will be little impact on players who have not signed NLIs and are still a year or 3 from proving themselves at the college level strikes me as wishful. It is what I wish, to be honest, as there are a lot of HS-age players I care about, but it is not what I'd expect to play out. Hopefully this is a non-issue.

Back