2021 Women’s D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

I love that arguably the top university in the world is able to pull in such a strong recruiting class.

I assume you mean Harvard, and not Princeton or Oxford. Given that, Harvard follows the Ivy League principle that if you can get in, the well-endowed financial aid system will make it affordable for your family. And (another Ivy League principle) - if you can qualify in ways other than straight academic, you can get in.

I assume you mean Harvard, and not Princeton or Oxford. Given that, Harvard follows the Ivy League principle that if you can get in, the well-endowed financial aid system will make it affordable for your family. And (another Ivy League principle) - if you can qualify in ways other than straight academic, you can get in.
It's all need base assistance. Unfortunately if you live in California your income doesn't go as far as if you live in Ohio, Kansas, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Georgia etc. etc. etc.

It's all need base assistance. Unfortunately if you live in California your income doesn't go as far as if you live in Ohio, Kansas, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Georgia etc. etc. etc.

As I recall from similar applications, that is factored in.

As I recall from similar applications, that is factored in.
Curious...is anyone aware of any top IVY league athletes who were able to receive tuition assistance somehow, AND family does not qualify for need based help? I agree living in Cali makes it harder. Using the financial aid calculator, we qualify for zero help...but we are by no means rich.

I know Ivies don't provide athletic scholarships. I'm curious if there is an endowment or other means anyone is aware of to help top athletes with hefty Ivy tuition.

Curious...is anyone aware of any top IVY league athletes who were able to receive tuition assistance somehow, AND family does not qualify for need based help? I agree living in Cali makes it harder. Using the financial aid calculator, we qualify for zero help...but we are by no means rich.

I know Ivies don't provide athletic scholarships. I'm curious if there is an endowment or other means anyone is aware of to help top athletes with hefty Ivy tuition.

There are lots of scholarship programs out there, and if a student-athlete is not receiving any "athletic" money, many of the NCAA restrictions don't apply.

Not as much as we expected. I guess it all comes down to how much you are willing to pay. What they offered was a lot but still not enough, room and board is very high especially at the Ivies and which Ivy you are looking at. Always look at what you would owe and what your family would have to pay for all four years. Interesting note, Stanford will no longer consider the value of parents home in figuring need, really important for California homeowners. As always, a great education is available at many colleges and in the end it is what you do with your education after graduation that matters.

Not as much as we expected. I guess it all comes down to how much you are willing to pay. What they offered was a lot but still not enough, room and board is very high especially at the Ivies and which Ivy you are looking at. Always look at what you would owe and what your family would have to pay for all four years. Interesting note, Stanford will no longer consider the value of parents home in figuring need, really important for California homeowners. As always, a great education is available at many colleges and in the end it is what you do with your education after graduation that matters.

I went to two colleges for free, even after dropping out of the first one. The first was academic, the second GI Bill (half-time monthly VA payment was more than semester tuition and fees at SDSU).

Great question.. I always wondered this as well.

Ivy endowments are large for the most part. I believe if your household income is less than $168k there is an opportunity at a ton of merit money. I believe the scale slides from that number. The IVY philosophy is why should money get in the way of a student we think can contribute and we think is acceptable.

Ivy endowments are large for the most part. I believe if your household income is less than $168k there is an opportunity at a ton of merit money. I believe the scale slides from that number. The IVY philosophy is why should money get in the way of a student we think can contribute and we think is acceptable.

1589813162248.png

That was our experience as well.

I am wondering if there will a lot of 2021 and 2020 players that will decommit from their chosen university due to the current coronovirus situation as well as the security concerns due to the protests. Will those students that are already at the university chose not to come back because of the same issues? If I had a DD attending U of Minnesota, I would be thinking long and hard about paying for another year until they figure out that situation. Thoughts?

I am wondering if there will a lot of 2021 and 2020 players that will decommit from their chosen university due to the current coronovirus situation as well as the security concerns due to the protests. Will those students that are already at the university chose not to come back because of the same issues? If I had a DD attending U of Minnesota, I would be thinking long and hard about paying for another year until they figure out that situation. Thoughts?
SDSU is allowing Fr and Soph to live on campus. However, only lab classes offered in person. All my sons classes will be only offered online so he has decided to sit this semester out and work and learn how to surf. He's super bummed out but oh well he says. The flu was bad last year in his housing so he can imagine what that will be like this year. Hopefully Spring Semester will be opened up. His old roommate sister was incoming Fr and has decided to travel for a year.....

If my kid were not playing soccer, I'd have her take a gap year, b/c I would not want to pay full freight for something that may not "look like" college. I am not sure that she'd be any safer at home - she'd be more bored, restless, etc. - than she will be at school where she probably will have better access to testing, more structure and, in many ways, more active support than a home environment can provide. It also will not be a typical "gap year" for kids who do that b/c if college is not perceived as safe, what else will be? That is, would I be comfortable with my kid working abroad for a year or getting a job or doing public service here? As of now, my kid's school (in the Pac12) will have in-person instruction and likely remote learning as well. Like everyone else, we are waiting to hear what the sports situation will be and expect that it will be something a bit more truncated than what we'd have expected. Though I think that I'd prefer a truncated season to no season, even if eligibility is fully maintained. If the season is shit-canned, I anticipate that a LOT of HS class of 2021 verbals will be pulled and/or deferred (which will have a cascading effect) since the HS class of 2020 now have signed NLIs, binding agreements that require scholarship levels be maintained.

If my kid were not playing soccer, I'd have her take a gap year, b/c I would not want to pay full freight for something that may not "look like" college. I am not sure that she'd be any safer at home - she'd be more bored, restless, etc. - than she will be at school where she probably will have better access to testing, more structure and, in many ways, more active support than a home environment can provide. It also will not be a typical "gap year" for kids who do that b/c if college is not perceived as safe, what else will be? That is, would I be comfortable with my kid working abroad for a year or getting a job or doing public service here? As of now, my kid's school (in the Pac12) will have in-person instruction and likely remote learning as well. Like everyone else, we are waiting to hear what the sports situation will be and expect that it will be something a bit more truncated than what we'd have expected. Though I think that I'd prefer a truncated season to no season, even if eligibility is fully maintained. If the season is shit-canned, I anticipate that a LOT of HS class of 2021 verbals will be pulled and/or deferred (which will have a cascading effect) since the HS class of 2020 now have signed NLIs, binding agreements that require scholarship levels be maintained.
I sincerely hope the second part of what you said does not come to pass. That would be unbelievably horrible. How would that even work in your estimation, in terms of them pulling verbals? NLIs for 2021s can be signed in November.

I sincerely hope the second part of what you said does not come to pass. That would be unbelievably horrible. How would that even work in your estimation, in terms of them pulling verbals? NLIs for 2021s can be signed in November.

I hope that does not come to pass but here is how I think this could happen: if the season is cancelled (like spring sports were) and if all players did not lose eligibility, schools have a conundrum of some players under binding financial agreements (NLIs) and other players w/o binding commitments. Whatever # of scholarships that are available is a function of the NCAA (14/year) and the school (not all schools fully fund 14 scholarships) - the NCAA increases the total # for a year or a period of time (b/c of 5th year seniors in 2021), that does not mean that all schools will fully fund the larger # of scholarships. So what is the school to do? They can't boot players who have binding agreements - well, they can from the roster but that does not free up $$$ - and they may not be able to honor all "commitments" b/c the $$$ is not there or b/c the NCAA won't allow that # of scholarships (or both). So I'd expect them to look to players under verbals to change the award amounts or to decommit players. If all the schools are doing it - or a large # of schools - there won't be the negative implication of schools decommitting players (or at least not as concentrated).

It all changes after NLIs are signed but I'd expect that November date to change if the fall season is cancelled (just as the recruiting rules have been changing) and it would not surprise me if that date changes in any event (remember, that Nov date is relatively new - was last year or the year before, the first time?). If the fall season is not cancelled, I don't see the NCAA accommodating specific schools who may not participate and I would not expect changes (dropping verbals, for example, or changing levels of award in the verbal offers) for schools who do participate but those schools that do no participate may elect to redshirt seniors they want back and that may create larger rosters and create a challenge to accomdoate current high school players.

That all sounds right to me. The 2021s are in a tough spot, especially any 2021s who don’t yet have a verbal. 2022s may be not much better.

I hope that does not come to pass but here is how I think this could happen: if the season is cancelled (like spring sports were) and if all players did not lose eligibility, schools have a conundrum of some players under binding financial agreements (NLIs) and other players w/o binding commitments. Whatever # of scholarships that are available is a function of the NCAA (14/year) and the school (not all schools fully fund 14 scholarships) - the NCAA increases the total # for a year or a period of time (b/c of 5th year seniors in 2021), that does not mean that all schools will fully fund the larger # of scholarships. So what is the school to do? They can't boot players who have binding agreements - well, they can from the roster but that does not free up $$$ - and they may not be able to honor all "commitments" b/c the $$$ is not there or b/c the NCAA won't allow that # of scholarships (or both). So I'd expect them to look to players under verbals to change the award amounts or to decommit players. If all the schools are doing it - or a large # of schools - there won't be the negative implication of schools decommitting players (or at least not as concentrated).

It all changes after NLIs are signed but I'd expect that November date to change if the fall season is cancelled (just as the recruiting rules have been changing) and it would not surprise me if that date changes in any event (remember, that Nov date is relatively new - was last year or the year before, the first time?). If the fall season is not cancelled, I don't see the NCAA accommodating specific schools who may not participate and I would not expect changes (dropping verbals, for example, or changing levels of award in the verbal offers) for schools who do participate but those schools that do no participate may elect to redshirt seniors they want back and that may create larger rosters and create a challenge to accomdoate current high school players.
Makes sense. I do believe there will be a season and as Simi says, Football is critical. My DD is also a PAC 12 comit and I think Power 5 is probably doing everything they can to have a season and honor their current verbal recruits.

Back