2021 Women’s D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

Pepperdine brought in a nice class and a very good transfer. I might have to revise my wcc prediction.

1) pepperdine
2) Santa clara
3) Portland
4) BYU
5) gonzaga

6) San digeo
6) USF
6) Pacific
6) LMU

7) SMC

So outside of the power 5 conference and TOP 20, what teams could have a breakout season next year?

I like Harvard to have a breakout season. They have a weak conference and perhaps the best recruiting class to ever grace the Ivy League in women's soccer. Unfortunately there is little parity in women's soccer. In my opinion a breakout season is making it to the Sweet 16 and by that metric there were only 3 teams outside of the Power 5 conferences that were able to do that and they were perenial top 25 teams from the WCC a traditionally strong women's soccer conference and South Florida a traditionally strong mid major. I just don't see that as changing much. It's really hard to beat a top 8 team on their home field in the playoffs. Only two teams last season were able to win against top 8 teams on the road during the playoffs. Wazzu did it twice against Virginia and South Carolina and UCLA did it once against Florida State. Both teams were in the College Cup....

Good luck to you and your player.

I like Harvard to have a breakout season. They have a weak conference and perhaps the best recruiting class to ever grace the Ivy League in women's soccer. Unfortunately there is little parity in women's soccer. In my opinion a breakout season is making it to the Sweet 16 and by that metric there were only 3 teams outside of the Power 5 conferences that were able to do that and they were perenial top 25 teams from the WCC a traditionally strong women's soccer conference and South Florida a traditionally strong mid major. I just don't see that as changing much. It's really hard to beat a top 8 team on their home field in the playoffs. Only two teams last season were able to win against top 8 teams on the road during the playoffs. Wazzu did it twice against Virginia and South Carolina and UCLA did it once against Florida State. Both teams were in the College Cup....

Agree with Harvard’s incoming class!

Let me modify---teams not in the the preseason top 25. Clearly if a team is having a break out season they will likely be ranked in the top 25 by season's end.

What is the over under on how many of these girls actually see any substantial playing time in their careers?

Any of them that can help them win games will play. The class that they replaced (2016) was also ranked #1. Six starters left so there are plenty of opportunities to play. Let me give you an example. My daughter had 8 players in her recruiting class and every one of them save two played significant minutes. One of the two was Mal Pugh and she obviously didn't suit up for a regular season game. My player was the lowest ranked domestic player in her recruiting class yet she ended up starting the most games and playing the most minutes of any of them. My point is that ANY of these players that has the heart, courage and the willingness to make it happen can make it happen.

What is the over under on how many of these girls actually see any substantial playing time in their careers?
Wow, that does seem like a lot for one class. How many scholarships would a Division I women's soccer team have? I vaguely remember something like 14 total. Whatever the case, all the ladies will get an exceptional education on a great campus. Congrats to them.

Wow, that does seem like a lot for one class. How many scholarships would a Division I women's soccer team have? I vaguely remember something like 14 total. Whatever the case, all the ladies will get an exceptional education on a great campus. Congrats to them.
The 14 scholarships are split up amongst the full roster. This has been said before many times, but it is rare that any player gets 100%. Most have it split up in increments/percentages throughout their 4 years. Many get $0

"had no left" doesn't mean "can't go to your left".
You can “go left” all day....as a defender if I know you have no left footed shot, I’ll let you go left all day cause you’ll just keep going with zero threat of a difficult shot for my keeper to handle. You have to cut back to your right (where I’ll be waiting) or push further out left.

oh Magoo, I loved playing against guys like you.

The 14 scholarships are split up amongst the full roster. This has been said before many times, but it is rare that any player gets 100%. Most have it split up in increments/percentages throughout their 4 years. Many get $0
Getting into UCLA is a dream come true for many. I'm happy for all the players and I hope UCLA wins it all!!!

Correct. A players deal tends to reflect how much the coach thinks about them. That does not always correspond to a player's TDS rankings. I spent less for my kid's college degree than I spent on U16 ECNL soccer.....

Having that many recruits helps to raise the gpa of the team especially if their top 5-6 recruits have a lower gpa.

I don't believe they are playing gpa games. All of the women on the team are smart. Just 14 is a lot. I looked at the roster and last year they list 11 freshmen. 8 got playing time and 3 redshirted. So UCLA does a good job of getting freshmen in to the game but next year there will be 17 of them. Hard to see how to get 17 first year players time.

I don't believe they are playing gpa games. All of the women on the team are smart. Just 14 is a lot. I looked at the roster and last year they list 11 freshmen. 8 got playing time and 3 redshirted. So UCLA does a good job of getting freshmen in to the game but next year there will be 17 of them. Hard to see how to get 17 first year players time.

You aren't wrong about the math. I think that the most players that I saw get into an actual game (not a scrimmage) was 21 or 22. I have seen games where the coach only starts 2 or 3 regular starters and they play only 30-45 minutes. The coaching staff there does an amazing job of roster management. You get very few disgruntled people because everyone that has the ability to help the team win games will get the chance. Now the minutes may be limited but that is what you get when you go to a top 5 program. Also, the players train together so at a school like that people know where they stand in the pecking order.

Assuming that the full season happens, this is a good time to be a freshman at UCLA. 6 starters and a key reserve that accounted for over 10,000 minutes last year collectively are gone. That is a great opportunity for any freshman that wants to make an impact.

Good luck to you and your player this season.

Having that many recruits helps to raise the gpa of the team especially if their top 5-6 recruits have a lower gpa.

Most of the players including the top recruits are going to be 3.6 and above and many will be 3.8 and above. I can only think of one player that was recruited by UCLA that wasn't at least a 3.6. It isn't a good idea to put an average student into a school like UCLA/Stanford/Duke/Cal etc. because they are rigorous academic schools and not being able to keep up is an actual thing.

Most of the girls on the team do well in school and make the Director's Honor Roll. You know how it is with female athletes. They have to work twice as hard and be twice as good academically for half as much recognition....

Map I would have to agree with you with Harvard. There recruiting class is becoming stronger every year. This is a team you can't sleep on with big name recruits coming in. Hopefully we have a season.

Back