2021-22 forecast

Any forecasts on this upcoming season? Hearing rumors of teams changing leagues(DPL>Discovery and Discovery>DPL), teams combining or joining forces(arsenal>pats) and teams being dropped from ECNL(LA surf).
What do you think these changes/moves does to the soccer landscape other than make it impossible to determine the most talented in the age group?

Any forecasts on this upcoming season? Hearing rumors of teams changing leagues(DPL>Discovery and Discovery>DPL), teams combining or joining forces(arsenal>pats) and teams being dropped from ECNL(LA surf).
What do you think these changes/moves does to the soccer landscape other than make it impossible to determine the most talented in the age group?

La surf was never in girls ecnl, they had one year of ECRL....... but yes they have been cut........

Determining the most talented our DDs age group will be easier than ever.....whoever is first in SW ecnl...... so LAFC Slammers and SD Surf......blues, real, Legends and Beach worthy of a shoutout too.......upcoming season will be great for our 06s to all battle...........

Will be interesting to see how Legends and Beach stack up against Slammers Koge, SD Surf and Blues. I know some of the Legends players moved over to an ECNL team last year...do they end up going back to Legends or has Legends been able to reload? Beach was not very strong the prior year in DA, but sounds like they got a lot stronger with the addition of some LAG players. I suspect these five will once again be at the top of the list and glad to finally see them all in the same league again.

According to GA website in the SW u17 division, Beach and Legends finished 6th and 8th respectively. Small sample to be sure, but I put GA clearly in front of ECRL.
It would have been cool to see the top GA teams in that div. (Royals, City and WCFC) have a chance to go up against Beach and Legends top teams (now moving to ECNL).

I’m not convinced it’s that great a talent gap from ECNL to GA.

There can be exceptions for sure, but there will be a huge overall talent gap between ga and ecnl in southern california next year. The 2006 age group is a perfect example actually. West coast 06 was a solid middle of the pack team historically in ga and ecnl, and they won ga sw this year with a 12-2 record. They are a nice team with some good talent and a great coach. While they can certainly compete with the middle of the ecnl league, they would likely be beaten handily by the top few ecnl teams. Just look at some of the scores from last years da games (0-7 v surf, 0-4 v legends).

I'd say a comparison between ga and ecrl is more appropriate from a talent standpoint. Ga is very well organized and has some good leadership. I also don't think most clubs have a true pathway from their ecrl team to their ecnl team. I think if the choice for your 2006 is between ga and ecrl, just find the best coach for your daughter.

There can be exceptions for sure, but there will be a huge overall talent gap between ga and ecnl in southern california next year. The 2006 age group is a perfect example actually. West coast 06 was a solid middle of the pack team historically in ga and ecnl, and they won ga sw this year with a 12-2 record. They are a nice team with some good talent and a great coach. While they can certainly compete with the middle of the ecnl league, they would likely be beaten handily by the top few ecnl teams. Just look at some of the scores from last years da games (0-7 v surf, 0-4 v legends).

I'd say a comparison between ga and ecrl is more appropriate from a talent standpoint. Ga is very well organized and has some good leadership. I also don't think most clubs have a true pathway from their ecrl team to their ecnl team. I think if the choice for your 2006 is between ga and ecrl, just find the best coach for your daughter.

Good insight but I respectfully disagree about close talent comparison between GA and ECRL. Not across the board but in singular instance that I see.

Good insight but I respectfully disagree about close talent comparison between GA and ECRL. Not across the board but in singular instance that I see.
Specific to 2006 in Southern California? It is just my opinion, but I think West Coast and Albion (San Diego) are probably better than ECNL Slammers, but probably not as good as ECNL RSC. I think West coast and Albion would be right behind Legends and Beach if they had played ECRL this year, with slightly better talent than the ECRL teams from Blues and Surf. However, once you drop down below west coast and Albion, I think the remaining GA teams in Southern California are clearly worse than the ECRL teams from Blues and Surf. It is a bit of a mixed bag as the bottom of all three leagues is actually pretty bad, but the top 5-ish teams in ECNL are clearly more talented than the top team in GA. Again, just my opinion.

Specific to 2006 in Southern California? It is just my opinion, but I think West Coast and Albion (San Diego) are probably better than ECNL Slammers, but probably not as good as ECNL RSC. I think West coast and Albion would be right behind Legends and Beach if they had played ECRL this year, with slightly better talent than the ECRL teams from Blues and Surf. However, once you drop down below west coast and Albion, I think the remaining GA teams in Southern California are clearly worse than the ECRL teams from Blues and Surf. It is a bit of a mixed bag as the bottom of all three leagues is actually pretty bad, but the top 5-ish teams in ECNL are clearly more talented than the top team in GA. Again, just my opinion.
I would kindly disagree some. This past weekends results would lean toward my thoughts on this same specific example you gave. No disrespect to Albion cause I think they're a great team and actually one of my favorite to watch because of the style they play and how well they move the ball, but this past weekend at Albion Cup they Tied a Strikers Discovery team who just finished last place in Discovery (without a win), Barely got by a CDA Slammers Flight 1 team in the Semi-Finals, then lost 4-0 to Blues ECNL-RL in the finals. While a big kudos to making the finals in a tough tournament those aren't quite the results of a team that's comparable to Middle-Top ECNL teams, IMHO of course

I would kindly disagree some. This past weekends results would lean toward my thoughts on this same specific example you gave. No disrespect to Albion cause I think they're a great team and actually one of my favorite to watch because of the style they play and how well they move the ball, but this past weekend at Albion Cup they Tied a Strikers Discovery team who just finished last place in Discovery (without a win), Barely got by a CDA Slammers Flight 1 team in the Semi-Finals, then lost 4-0 to Blues ECNL-RL in the finals. While a big kudos to making the finals in a tough tournament those aren't quite the results of a team that's comparable to Middle-Top ECNL teams, IMHO of course
Most of the SoCal GA teams have lost several top players now and don't look nearly the same as last season. I think GA put together a great product last season, but the loss of clubs and the draw of ecnl for top players has decreased the quality of local GA teams.

Most of the SoCal GA teams have lost several top players now and don't look nearly the same as last season. I think GA put together a great product last season, but the loss of clubs and the draw of ecnl for top players has decreased the quality of local GA teams.
Totally Agree but I thought what was being refenced was Albion's recent 2021 GA 2nd place finish which only a few weeks ago not the 2019/2020 seasons or before ECNL and RL got a booster shot. Either way my original point being that I don't think any team currently left in the GA is in the same class with the vast majority of the ECNL teams here in SoCal

Totally Agree but I thought what was being refenced was Albion's recent 2021 GA 2nd place finish which only a few weeks ago not the 2019/2020 seasons or before ECNL and RL got a booster shot. Either way my original point being that I don't think any team currently left in the GA is in the same class with the vast majority of the ECNL teams here in SoCal
Sorry about that, I was originally referencing this past season's GA teams compared to ECNL and ECRL. I think several of the GA girls in SoCal have moved now and we will therefore see a drop off in those SoCal teams overall this year (as you did with Albion last weekend). Although, I still believe strongly that teams like the WCFC GA team from this past season was better than the bottom half of ECNL SW last year (while not perfect, go look at YSR as a pretty decent indicator).

Agreed. I know of a handful of teams that had some significant changes to their rosters.
The team will not look the same this year and there is still some shifting occurring, even with who is playing what league.

The Albion team participating in the games you reference above was missing between 6-8 starters per game and had guest players from Albion Vegas.

There was significant changes in the Strikers Discovery team between Discovery league and Albion Cup. Not the same team so using it for comparison purposes probably doesn't make sense. Also, they didn't lose to Blues ECNL-RL in finals at National Cup it was Legends FC Temecula DPL.

Sorry about that, I was originally referencing this past season's GA teams compared to ECNL and ECRL. I think several of the GA girls in SoCal have moved now and we will therefore see a drop off in those SoCal teams overall this year (as you did with Albion last weekend). Although, I still believe strongly that teams like the WCFC GA team from this past season was better than the bottom half of ECNL SW last year (while not perfect, go look at YSR as a pretty decent indicator).

No issue with your post in general and I do like WCFC g-2006 but I must state that YSR is highly inaccurate at older ages when teams play totally different schedules…. Yes it can get the unicorn teams like lafc and surf correct as they win whoever they play but remember It’s algorithm loves teams who win especially big wins so being in GA and winning easily each weekends gives an artificial ranking….it is the same with teams dominating discovery…….a middle of the pack ecnl 06 team like rebels on the other hand finds wins harder to come by due to schedule but I think that is a good g-2006 team and they play nice soccer as well…….

Agreed. I know of a handful of teams that had some significant changes to their rosters.
The team will not look the same this year and there is still some shifting occurring, even with who is playing what league.
The Albion 06 team mentioned that was originally developed by Mike Whitaker does not have the same roster when they were DA. That was a great team. And they played great possession soccer.

Last edited:
There was significant changes in the Strikers Discovery team between Discovery league and Albion Cup. Not the same team so using it for comparison purposes probably doesn't make sense. Also, they didn't lose to Blues ECNL-RL in finals at National Cup it was Legends FC Temecula DPL.
The blues team that lost to legends Temecula was not the ECRL team, it was their DISCOVERY NPL team with 2 ECRL Players borrowed.

No issue with your post in general and I do like WCFC g-2006 but I must state that YSR is highly inaccurate at older ages when teams play totally different schedules…. Yes it can get the unicorn teams like lafc and surf correct as they win whoever they play but remember It’s algorithm loves teams who win especially big wins so being in GA and winning easily each weekends gives an artificial ranking….it is the same with teams dominating discovery…….a middle of the pack ecnl 06 team like rebels on the other hand finds wins harder to come by due to schedule but I think that is a good g-2006 team and they play nice soccer as well…….
Agree that it isn't perfect, but I actually think the top 10 looks about right for 06 girls in SoCal.

Back