2020 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!! EXTENDED TO SPRING '21!!!!

It doesn’t look like fall schedules are posted for D1 programs so it doesn’t look like decisions have been made and announced yet. All the news articles I see are from May and saying that CSU classes are all online for fall but haven’t decided about sports yet. I can’t imagine no football because of the revenue it generates and if they have football they would have to have other sports but it isn’t clear. I know one D1 school that has said no soccer season this fall but not sure about others. Very thankful that for other parts of the country fall soccer season is on with some limitations.

Every D1 is playing as of now. Of course all could change but no div 1 team has cancelled soccer as of today. Pac 12 has limited non conference games to within 400 miles of home for cost reasons. Some conferences dropping conference tournaments for cost reasons. But season is a go. Let’s hope...

Every D1 is playing as of now. Of course all could change but no div 1 team has cancelled soccer as of today. Pac 12 has limited non conference games to within 400 miles of home for cost reasons. Some conferences dropping conference tournaments for cost reasons. But season is a go. Let’s hope...

Is there an external source for the Pac 12's non-conference policy? That sounds logical but I have not seen anything other than your comment and I'd like to read how the conference has described it (and anything else related to covid). Thanks.

I don’t know if it’s a written thing or just an internal directive to pac 12 schools. It is NOT Covid related in that it isn’t for health reasons. It’s all financial to save money after the loss of March madness revenue and losing students on campus. Several pac 12 schools are in dire financial straits even before the impact of covid. Which will be massive as well.
Again I haven’t seen it anywhere just heard it from lots of sources.

SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are still planning a fall season at this point.

The leagues that put themselves ahead of the kids and the science. No surprise though. With 3 of the 4 teams from last year's college cup and two fo the top 4 teams in the country including the defending national champion not playing this abbreviated season will be a joke. And I believe that the NCAA has already said that there won't be a college cup. So what exactly are they putting their players at risk for?

So what exactly are they putting their players at risk for?
There is about zero risk for the players. Nationwide 275 people under 24 have died due to covid.

So they have really no risk.

Yes not playing for a national championship SUCKS. At the least they can play to win their conferences, play vs their normal rivals, AND play for the love of the game.

That is what they would be playing for.

There is about zero risk for the players. Nationwide 275 people under 24 have died due to covid.

The heart damage and lung damage last forever.

Genuinely interested and not trolling or trying to argue.

From the article... "Public health leaders need to remind people who may not take Covid-19 seriously that even younger, healthier adults who get a milder form of the disease can have symptoms for weeks."

Your summary of it is that "heart and lung damage will last forever." I can't find any sort of conclusion like that anywhere in the article. Am I missing something?

Interesting what they call PROLONGED damage.

From the CDC and the article.

"Thirty-five percent of those surveyed by the agency said they still weren't back to their usual good health even two to three weeks after testing positive for the disease.
The CDC had survey results from 292 people who had a positive test for Covid-19 and were treated as an outpatient from April 15 until June 25. The interviews were done 14 to 21 days after people were originally tested."

So 2-3 weeks after being diagnosed some people still felt off.

CNN reports that as LONG TERM?

Someone should sit down with the author and editors and explain the differences between short term, medium term, and long term.

I once had a long term relationship with a girl in college. After 3 weeks we finally called it off ;) It was devastating when you put so much time and effort into those long term relationships. Took me another 2 weeks to get over it.

Yes not playing for a national championship SUCKS. At the least they can play to win their conferences, play vs their normal rivals, AND play for the love of the game.

That is what they would be playing for.
This impacts the 5th year senior who was going to play a lot this year. I feel for them. I would be going cray cray if my last season was cancelled. The game is being used. The good thing I see is my dd is playing right now because she wants to. I see more and more girls quitting the game.

Interesting what they call PROLONGED damage.

From the CDC and the article.

"Thirty-five percent of those surveyed by the agency said they still weren't back to their usual good health even two to three weeks after testing positive for the disease.
The CDC had survey results from 292 people who had a positive test for Covid-19 and were treated as an outpatient from April 15 until June 25. The interviews were done 14 to 21 days after people were originally tested."

So 2-3 weeks after being diagnosed some people still felt off.

CNN reports that as LONG TERM?

Someone should sit down with the author and editors and explain the differences between short term, medium term, and long term.

I once had a long term relationship with a girl in college. After 3 weeks we finally called it off ;) It was devastating when you put so much time and effort into those long term relationships. Took me another 2 weeks to get over it.
How on earth does anyone know anything long term on this sucker?

As much as I would love to have soccer in the spring there won’t be because no college student will be vaccinated by Jan/Feb time frame. It’s more realistic that most of the US population will have access to the vaccine late spring/early summer.
As for long term effects of COVID, no one really knows because time has not elapsed yet. Researchers won’t know the true long term effects for 10-20 years. Empirical data needs to be gathered.

IMO colleges that resumed in person classes did so for the tuition dollars. Very sad they put money first before student safety ( example UNC). This all sucks.

"A new study published Monday in the JAMA Cardiology Journal found that 78 percent of recovered COVID-19 patients had permanent heart damage."

Permanent seems like long term to me and not something anyone, much less athletes would want.
the headline is scary but would like to see if those 78% had existing heart issues, what their ages were? economic profile, etc.

the headline is scary but would like to see if those 78% had existing heart issues, what their ages were? economic profile, etc.

Just jumping into the JAMA article (not the Newsweek reporting on it), you see this in the "findings": ". . . which was independent of preexisting conditions, severity and overall course of the acute illness, and the time from the original diagnosis." The study's findings were with respect to structural issues and, as a person with structural heart issues, my guess is that the cardiologists can make some conclusions on what is or may be permanent. That said, this is a small study - 100 patients - and under "Meaning" is written, "These findings indicate the need for ongoing investigation of the long-term cardiovascular consequences of COVID-19" and, in those two pre-sections ("Findings" and "Meaning"), no where is it noted that these problems are, indeed, permanent. I'm going to read more but it may be a simple case of Newsweek using a sensational lede.

All that said, I am fine w/the fall season being postponed - hopefully not cancelled - as there is just too much uncertainty (which, at a minimum, this study is highlighting).

Back