2020 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!! EXTENDED TO SPRING '21!!!!

With classes starting this week, I don't expect the spring schedule to be out until early February. Hopefully we play Pep again this spring.

Question folks... what kind of recruiting activities typically happen after the official visit say from now (Junior year) until signing day? Appreciate any insights..

Question folks... what kind of recruiting activities typically happen after the official visit say from now (Junior year) until signing day? Appreciate any insights..

I don't even know the rules anymore! Can coaches make direct contact? Are official visits just a formality still (In my players days, the official visit either came with an offer or the offer was already made and accepted long before)?

I don't even know the rules anymore! Can coaches make direct contact? Are official visits just a formality still (In my players days, the official visit either came with an offer or the offer was already made and accepted long before)?

Here's what I know - and what I know may not be correct since things change pretty fast:

- no direct contact between player/school (coach) until June 15 following sophomore year;
- "officials" can be in Jr or Sr year (I believe you can still take up to 5 but when they come after verbals, I don't know any player who is my kid's peer (graduating HS this year) who has taken more than 1 w/o de-committing;
- NLI signing date is now mid-November (this academic year was Nov 13) rather than early Feb and most, not all, kids with verbals signed their NLIs on Nov 13 (including some who had coaches on shaky grounds or even were committing to programs w/o a head coach).

In my kid's case, the "official" was with her recruiting class and came this past fall. There was very little time b/t the official visit and the NLI date so there was not that much contact in between. Have no idea what will happen for the kids who are Jrs and who have gone on their "officials" IF they also have made a verbal commitment.

In my kid's case, the "official" was with her recruiting class and came this past fall. There was very little time b/t the official visit and the NLI date so there was not that much contact in between. Have no idea what will happen for the kids who are Jrs and who have gone on their "officials" IF they also have made a verbal commitment.

Seems to me that if the visit happened and an offer is made, not much will happen until the NLI is signed. Then in Spring the coaches usually reach out with a to-do list to get ready for Pre-Season.

Seems to me that if the visit happened and an offer is made, not much will happen until the NLI is signed. Then in Spring the coaches usually reach out with a to-do list to get ready for Pre-Season.

The kids I know who are my kid's age have had a varied experience - once coaches were able to contact them directly, some of them heard with relative regularity, others only in response to the kids reaching out. It was a mixed bag. I do think that once the official visit happened, there was cohesion among the different recruiting classes and after the NLI, the kids are hearing more from the schools (but as a group, not as much as individuals).

The kids I know who are my kid's age have had a varied experience - once coaches were able to contact them directly, some of them heard with relative regularity, others only in response to the kids reaching out. It was a mixed bag. I do think that once the official visit happened, there was cohesion among the different recruiting classes and after the NLI, the kids are hearing more from the schools (but as a group, not as much as individuals).
Appreciate the feedback. For my DD, committment made her Sophomore year before the rule change. She had her official visit with her recruiting class already in Fall like your DD did and some others I know as well. I guess other than semi-frequent chats with coaches, there isn't much that happens between now and November...

Appreciate the feedback. For my DD, commitment made her Sophomore year before the rule change. She had her official visit with her recruiting class already in Fall like your DD did and some others I know as well. I guess other than semi-frequent chats with coaches, there isn't much that happens between now and November...

I thought it was really interesting that schools were having their Jr commits do their "officials" since there IS so much time between a Jr "official" and NLI (I know the rule permits it so I am not criticizing but that delay is what I find interesting). I'm not sure what my daughter's school did with the Jr commits but I do know the school closest to me (geographically, that is - about 1 mile away) DID do officials with its Jrs (I was at the game when they were all there).

As for the new rule and impact on June 15 - I think there will be this flurry of interest related to the top players and the perceived diamonds in the rough. But for a lot of kids, I think it means that the Jr year of HS becomes THE year. And that really underscores the crappy position of the younger players in an age group who are Jrs when most players on their team are Srs and suffering from Senioritis and/or are substantially committed. Those Jrs need the coaches to show a lot of attention but the scouts, with more limited recruiting budgets, will likely watch the younger age group that is the same academic year. For example, the younger 02s (who are Jrs) are getting nearly as many eyeballs at their games as the 03s who are also Jrs - but it will REALLY matter with the 04s (mostly sophs, some frosh) as they get older.

I thought it was really interesting that schools were having their Jr commits do their "officials" since there IS so much time between a Jr "official" and NLI (I know the rule permits it so I am not criticizing but that delay is what I find interesting). I'm not sure what my daughter's school did with the Jr commits but I do know the school closest to me (geographically, that is - about 1 mile away) DID do officials with its Jrs (I was at the game when they were all there).

As for the new rule and impact on June 15 - I think there will be this flurry of interest related to the top players and the perceived diamonds in the rough. But for a lot of kids, I think it means that the Jr year of HS becomes THE year. And that really underscores the crappy position of the younger players in an age group who are Jrs when most players on their team are Srs and suffering from Senioritis and/or are substantially committed. Those Jrs need the coaches to show a lot of attention but the scouts, with more limited recruiting budgets, will likely watch the younger age group that is the same academic year. For example, the younger 02s (who are Jrs) are getting nearly as many eyeballs at their games as the 03s who are also Jrs - but it will REALLY matter with the 04s (mostly sophs, some frosh) as they get older.
I think they did the Jr visit thing just to kind of solidify things and make sure there's no buyers remorse maybe? Not really sure. You make a really good second point. My DDs team is heavy on 2021 grads so the girls still looking to get commited that are 2022s is an interesting place to be once the 2021 are all done. Playing games just doesn't really have any significance anymore other than they need the reps. That's not a good thing for 2022s needing to be seen. I wonder what others have experienced.

My dd sent me her Spring schedule last week so I would assume most players know their Spring schedule. Mostly regional games highlighted by playing Georgetown at the Jefferson Cup and away at Virginia Tech. Our sneak peak for the fall is that the coach has said the team is going to Hawaii to play Hawaii and Oregon and will try to stop in SoCal to play a local school on the way.

Back