2020 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!! EXTENDED TO SPRING '21!!!!

University of California system will no longer require SAT and ACT scores for admission after settlement reached is what I'm hearing. Is this true? Wow, if it is true I will be happy :) Now if we can make math fun and not impossible to learn for 90% of the students, we will have fixed the doors that are locked to so many smart kids to get in. Let's get ALL types of students, not just the one's who can take a test really well or worse, pay someone to take the test for them. I believe in a diverse group of "smart" kids. We need more street smart folks at Big U. I'm super stoked :)

University of California system will no longer require SAT and ACT scores for admission after settlement reached is what I'm hearing. Is this true? Wow, if it is true I will be happy :) Now if we can make math fun and not impossible to learn for 90% of the students, we will have fixed the doors that are locked to so many smart kids to get in. Let's get ALL types of students, not just the one's who can take a test really well or worse, pay someone to take the test for them. I believe in a diverse group of "smart" kids. We need more street smart folks at Big U. I'm super stoked :)
This has been the case for over a year now.

Math is your friend. In all seriousness though, higher math is required for any science degree. I have worked with people in technical fields that had poor math skills. They invariably end up in some kind of support role or as a clueless manager.

Math is your friend. In all seriousness though, higher math is required for any science degree. I have worked with people in technical fields that had poor math skills. They invariably end up in some kind of support role or as a clueless manager.
I love math but the kind of math they make the average human learn is insane and abusive to one's ego. I already argued this point my whole life and finally people are listening. Math makes some people feel dumb when their not. Sometimes the math teacher sucks at teaching the math. We need better math and more options to learning other types of math. I know academics get mad at me because I'm emotional and have an opinion but they must start listening to other opinions, MOO!!!

I got to use my college calculus training once in my career. The company was bidding on an Air Force program to provide engineering support services. Part of the process was to demonstrate how we solved problems. One problem concerned the best way to distribute fiber-optic signals in an aircraft. I idealized it to a polynomial equation and found a solution with a maximum/minimum process. I don't know if my contribution was essential, but we won the contract.

I also was able to squeeze a little more space into the hard drives in our portable computers by first finding the prime factors of the total number of available sectors (prime factors is a built-in Mathcad function) and then combining them into the maximum allowed under the BIOS image of the drive (cylinders x heads x sectors, etc.) which at that time maxed out at 8 Gigabytes (nowadays you can buy 2 Terrabyte thumbdrives for about $25).

And then there was the time an outside consultant was hired to review the technology in our biggest-selling militarized portable computer. He suggested adding filters to some of our inputs to reduce the effects of noise. I stepped up to the whiteboard and sketched out the 8-power software exponential averager I was using on the temperature and battery voltage inputs and then down the board next to it an equivalent way to do that in hardware.

Someday when I have more time I will relate my experience with the company's patent lawyer.

Congrats to Santa Clara. So happy for all the local OC girls and families. Give credit to FSU coach. He pulled some strategies that really shut down most of SCU's attack. Much better coached game than UNC's.

Back