2020 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!! EXTENDED TO SPRING '21!!!!

Wonder if it will be the Wild West for women’s soccer. I mean women’s soccer had the highest transfer rate and now they can transfer with no penalty.

I say good for the players. Maybe coaches will have to try harder now. There are some great coaches out there, to be sure, but there are some pretty awful ones as well.

What schools have a reputation for mixing hard majors with sports?

Or do they exist?
A good friend's child went to Berkeley, played D1 soccer, and had a technical major. It can be done. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's certainly possible. Honestly, technical majors at any of the UC's, Stanford, USC, etc. are not for the faint of heart. My daughter will be attempting the same thing in less than a year and a half. To my mind, preparation is the key. If staying in HS, take all the technical AP classes possible. Honestly, suffering through a writing AP class will help immensely as well. If homeschooling, local two-year colleges offer free classes to homeschoolers. Take those that have UC transfer credit to ensure they will get a comparable college experience in these areas. If your child ends up at a UC, the credits will count.

A good friend's child went to Berkeley, played D1 soccer, and had a technical major. It can be done. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's certainly possible. Honestly, technical majors at any of the UC's, Stanford, USC, etc. are not for the faint of heart. My daughter will be attempting the same thing in less than a year and a half. To my mind, preparation is the key. If staying in HS, take all the technical AP classes possible. Honestly, suffering through a writing AP class will help immensely as well. If homeschooling, local two-year colleges offer free classes to homeschoolers. Take those that have UC transfer credit to ensure they will get a comparable college experience in these areas. If your child ends up at a UC, the credits will count.
yes taking lots of AP's and scoring 5's on all the tests will help mitigate the workload at UC. My dd was told by UC Irvine players that you either have to change your major or quit the soccer team by junior year if you are stem. I think this will apply to most normal people at UC's. If you are a genius you can do whatever u want.

SMC, Oregon, UW and ASU look greatly improved with their new coaches.

I'm thinking the SMC coach, former Noter Dame coach, could slide into that CAL job when Neil is let go at the end of the season.
SMC is better. Hard not to be as their previous coach was awful.
Oregon seems same to me. Avg. not fair to judge this early either way.
UW was good with their previous coach and the new coach is keeping that going.
ASU doesn’t have a new coach. Unless getting hired in late 2016 counts as new. They are playing very well for sure though

So here we are at the end and it looks like 2 WCC schools will make the tourney and maybe 5 Pac-12.
USC, BYU look like they are clicking. UCLA, Santa Clara, and Stanford always tough.

Coaches In review:

CAL - gone at end of year. Poor job but clearly had lots on his mind. He should resign and resurface at another program.

OSU - hard to say. Was last year the real Kagan or this year.

USD - hasn’t lived up to expectations and likely gone soon. A tie to pacific was bad.

Loyola- didn’t see much improvement. TBD

Pacific -little improvement . TBD

SMC - incredible improvement. I expect this coach to be wearing blue and gold next year. The job here is what many low D1 programs dream about.

portland - no improvement. Still looking for the next Clive.

USF - good job considering what was lost to transfers and graduating seniors.

All other Power 5s do... Just have no clue why PAC 12 does not.

(not directed @Dubs but to the discussion)

In a normal season, the Pac teams play about 19 games and play each conference foe once. In 2019, Stanford played 25 games. Do they really need to play 3 more (an 8 team tournament) or even 2 more (4 team)? An 8 team tournament probably means 2 weekends (and 2 if you have all 12 and give top seeds a bye in the first round). The Pac was one of the last to adopt a conference tourney for hoops and while it was pretty exciting to see Oregon State go on a run, that's a lot of games in a short period of time. I don't think you could do that for soccer (the Sunday games are often more raggedy; imagine if they played Wed, Fri, Sun or Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun).

It would be exciting and it would give an upstart program a chance (look at Iowa in the Big 10. And I'd like my kid to have a chance to get a couple more games) but, on balance, I'm glad they don't presently have one.

(not directed @Dubs but to the discussion)

In a normal season, the Pac teams play about 19 games and play each conference foe once. In 2019, Stanford played 25 games. Do they really need to play 3 more (an 8 team tournament) or even 2 more (4 team)? An 8 team tournament probably means 2 weekends (and 2 if you have all 12 and give top seeds a bye in the first round). The Pac was one of the last to adopt a conference tourney for hoops and while it was pretty exciting to see Oregon State go on a run, that's a lot of games in a short period of time. I don't think you could do that for soccer (the Sunday games are often more raggedy; imagine if they played Wed, Fri, Sun or Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun).

It would be exciting and it would give an upstart program a chance (look at Iowa in the Big 10. And I'd like my kid to have a chance to get a couple more games) but, on balance, I'm glad they don't presently have one.
I see... so it's really related to the amount of games they play for their non-conference schedule? That makes sense. But, I'm with you... It would make things more exciting to have a conference tourney and crown a champion that way.

All other Power 5s do... Just have no clue why PAC 12 does not.
Just because others do, it doesn’t mean they should or that it’s a good idea. Pac-12 sends more than enough teams to the tournament and I am certain those teams wouldn’t want to add more games to risk injuries or having their players fatigued heading into the tournament.
And if they did, How many teams should make the conference tournament? 8? Which is about what they send to the tournament anyway.

Just because others do, it doesn’t mean they should or that it’s a good idea. Pac-12 sends more than enough teams to the tournament and I am certain those teams wouldn’t want to add more games to risk injuries or having their players fatigued heading into the tournament.
And if they did, How many teams should make the conference tournament? 8? Which is about what they send to the tournament anyway.
I'm not saying one way or the other. I just never understood why Pac-12 does not have one. DK has given good context and it makes sense. However, as I said above, it would be exciting to have one.

I'm not saying one way or the other. I just never understood why Pac-12 does not have one. DK has given good context and it makes sense. However, as I said above, it would be exciting to have one.

Exactly. I’m not advocating for it - I’m not in favor - but there’s no denying it would be exciting. I can think of some teams that in a one and done could pull upsets.

Back