2020 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!! EXTENDED TO SPRING '21!!!!

If you attend a top 50 school your resume and did well your resume moves to the front of the pack. In 2 years it doesn't matter all that much quite honestly.

UOP is a tier 1 school as per US news, #133 to be exact. To be fair the University has a very good pre dent, pre pharm, speech pathology and music conservatory. I have heard their pre dent program where kids can do 2 or 3 years at UOP and then the remaining at their dental school in SF is very competitive. Many of those students turn down top 50 schools at the chance to complete their BS and professional degree in 5 years.

This is a good post. This is what you should stick to.

Cal and these top level schools are only better if your kid majors in an area of substance. I'd argue that a stem major at UOP will do far better in the long run than a Cal grad who majored in History, Classics, (etc. majors that most UC SOccer players major in). Curious EOTL- what's your daughter's major?

Cal and these top level schools are only better if your kid majors in an area of substance. I'd argue that a stem major at UOP will do far better in the long run than a Cal grad who majored in History, Classics, (etc. majors that most UC SOccer players major in). Curious EOTL- what's your daughter's major?
What you are saying is true for white men primarily. Women and minorities should go to the “best” school they can get in because they will meet more influential people. Oftentimes, success in life is more about who you know than what you know.

There was one person in my law school class from UOP and they had a 4.0. One of my other friends from UCSD had a 2.8 so, I suspect that you have to be in the top 5% of your graduating class plus good test scores to realistically get into a decent professional school out of UOP.

My point has nothing to do with their opinion, but rather how they responded.

If you attend a top 50 school your resume and did well your resume moves to the front of the pack. In 2 years it doesn't matter all that much quite honestly.

UOP is a tier 1 school as per US news, #133 to be exact. To be fair the University has a very good pre dent, pre pharm, speech pathology and music conservatory. I have heard their pre dent program where kids can do 2 or 3 years at UOP and then the remaining at their dental school in SF is very competitive. Many of those students turn down top 50 schools at the chance to complete their BS and professional degree in 5 years.

Yes, UOP has some good programs. But comparing a Cal history major to a UOP stem major has nothing to do with anything as it relates to college recruiting, and I will tell you why. You are arguing that UOP is a good school, and no one disagrees. But you are not arguing why it is a better draw for an elite soccer player than 100 other schools. There is nothing that makes UOP a better place to play soccer than any of 100 other schools for 99.9% of elite soccer players.

What you need to be looking at is whether an elite soccer recruit who wants to major in STEM is better off at Cal or UOP, not whether a STEM student at UOP is better off than a Cal history student. Those are two different recruits, and both are still better off at Cal for their respective majors than UOP. An elite college soccer player who will major in STEM is still better off at Cal (or any of 50 other colleges with soccer teams with stronger STEM programs, in better locations, prettier campuses, and better job opportunities), than at UOP because there is more opportunity with a Cal degree and job opportunities. An elite college soccer player who will major in business or even history is also still better off at Cal than at UOP for the same reasons. A kid who will major in conservatory is not an elite soccer player because they spent their time being great at something else, and an elite soccer player isn’t going to go to UOP for two years pre-dental and then transfer to a dental program in SF that doesn’t have a soccer team. I can’t tell you how many elite HS soccer players want to be pharmacists by the time they’re being recruited in HS, but I’m going to guess that the number is zero. You’re just making up fake unrealistic hypotheticals. There is nothing attractive at UOP to virtually every elite female soccer player in the US compared to probably 100 other colleges.

UOP is a decent school in a really, really undesirable place, and a great school for the right kid. You could even argue that UOP is heroic in that it provides soccer scholarships, and therefore access to higher education, to many kids who wouldn’t otherwise even be able to go to college at all, whereas every kid who plays at Cal or Stanford or UCLA was probably going to some college even without soccer. But UOP can never, ever, have a consistently good women’s program because it has much less to offer the elite girls soccer demographic than pretty much any other college with a soccer team. Anyone who thinks UOP can have a consistently solid women’s college soccer team is clueless about what 99.9% of elite girl soccer players want.

I don't think I ever said an elite soccer player would attend UOP. I want point put that an elite soccer player/STEM major is almost an oxymoron.

What you are saying is true for white men primarily. Women and minorities should go to the “best” school they can get in because they will meet more influential people. Oftentimes, success in life is more about who you know than what you know.

There was one person in my law school class from UOP and they had a 4.0. One of my other friends from UCSD had a 2.8 so, I suspect that you have to be in the top 5% of your graduating class plus good test scores to realistically get into a decent professional school out of UOP.

I'll agree with Point 1.

SMC, Oregon, UW and ASU look greatly improved with their new coaches.

I'm thinking the SMC coach, former Noter Dame coach, could slide into that CAL job when Neil is let go at the end of the season.

SMC, Oregon, UW and ASU look greatly improved with their new coaches.

I'm thinking the SMC coach, former Noter Dame coach, could slide into that CAL job when Neil is let go at the end of the season.

Wait what about the San Jose State coach you used to pump up?

Note UOP is no longer at the bottom. Perhaps the coaches are making progress now. 2 more wins at we will be in the middle of the table.

Santa Clara6-01.0006-01.000W6
Brigham Young5-1-10.7868-3-10.708T1
Pepperdine5-1-10.7866-3-10.650W2
Gonzaga4-2-10.6436-3-10.650T1
Portland2-2-30.5003-2-30.563T1
Saint Mary's2-3-20.4292-4-30.389T1
San Francisco1-4-10.2502-4-20.375L2
Pacific1-5-10.2141-7-20.200W1
Loyola Marymount1-50.1671-5-10.214L5
San Diego1-50.1671-70.125L5
Yeah, but those wins have to happen this season.

Back