2020 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!! EXTENDED TO SPRING '21!!!!

BYU certainly isn’t a fit in the WCC but would also not be welcomed in the pac 12. They are a square peg for college athletics so hard to find a fit. Plus they are not well liked so it’s just a weird reality for them.

UOP is a perfect fit for the WCC. Private, faith based with like for like campus size attendance and athletic budgets as all WCC schools (except byu).

Pacific Soccer can succeed if you look at what happening with the men's program. A coahc
I don't think they've ever done well. Coleman was the head coach for years and they were poor. UOP brought in Scroope and she didn't do much better. UOP doesn't belong in the WCC. Doesn't really matter to me whether they want to move or not my opinion is they should move.
BYU certainly isn’t a fit in the WCC but would also not be welcomed in the pac 12. They are a square peg for college athletics so hard to find a fit. Plus they are not well liked so it’s just a weird reality for them.

UOP is a perfect fit for the WCC. Private, faith based with like for like campus size attendance and athletic budgets as all WCC schools (except byu).

Anyone know the payouts to the colleges for being in the WCC vs. big west vs. mtn west?

crazy to think USC might not make the tourney. still some soccer to play. I'm thinking 5 teams.

Provided nothing odd happens:
Santa Clara is IN
Pepperdine is IN if they beat Santa Clara. If they tie they must beat BYU.
BYU IN in if they beat Pepperdine. A tie would not help their cause unless Pepperdine beats SC.

BYU is OUT if they lose to Pepperdine. That would give them a third place finish, 2 losses in the WCC, 2 losses to USC and UCLA
Pepperdine is OUT if they lose to Santa Clara and BYU.

Gonzaga IN if they can beat 2/3 of the big 3 and come in at least 2nd in the WCC.

USF can play spolier this year

I don't see how the WCC gets more than one. team in the tournament. Nobody has any out of conference wins and there are 15 less at large bids to hand out. I think Pac 12 only gets 4.

I don't see how the WCC gets more than one. team in the tournament. Nobody has any out of conference wins and there are 15 less at large bids to hand out. I think Pac 12 only gets 4.
Maybe not three but likely 2. I think it will be BYU and Santa Clara. Still soccer to be played however.

Pacific Soccer can succeed if you look at what happening with the men's program. A coahc

Anyone know the payouts to the colleges for being in the WCC vs. big west vs. mtn west?

The men’s soccer recruiting pool is a very different animal, so using the men’s success as a comparator doesn’t make a lot of sense. UOP simply cannot consistently succeed in women’s soccer due to location, because it is not a well respected academic institution, it doesn’t have a college atmosphere, and there just isn’t much of a pool of local girls who can play and might want to stay close to home. That is just how it is. Most elite girls come from upper middle class families who have done well enough academically and financially to get into a lot of schools. Most would prefer to be a recruited walk-on and pay more at the likes of UCSB or UCD. Parents also realize that UCLA or Berkeley without soccer is a better idea than UOP so their kid can lace them up for four more years. For most kids, it’s time to move on in life if your best option to keep playing involves moving to a lower tier academic institution in Stockton.

On the men’s side, there is a much larger pool of kids who can play a little for whom their options are either UOP on a soccer scholarship or JC at best, due to financial and/or academic restraints that are non-issues for most families of elite girls. Or whose parents don’t appreciate the difference between UCLA and UOP academically. Or who want to stay close to home. Boys and girls ate totally different demographics with different motivations.

That’s a pretty snobby way to view pacific and the mindset of women’s soccer players. There’s a bevy of schools that aren’t in the upper echelon academically and do very well on the field and attract good talent who have good experiences playing soccer and earning a degree.

UOP is in the same conversation as LMU/USD/USF when it comes to rankings and getting some of school paid for and having soccer continue is a pretty good deal. A good coach can recruit anywhere and a college student can get a good education anywhere.

Roughly and these are old numbers and cobbled together from various sources: mountain west schools get upwards of $4 million in payouts. WCC is around $250,000 (thanks Gonzaga bball!!) and Big West is $175,000-$200,000.

That’s a pretty snobby way to view pacific and the mindset of women’s soccer players. There’s a bevy of schools that aren’t in the upper echelon academically and do very well on the field and attract good talent who have good experiences playing soccer and earning a degree.

UOP is in the same conversation as LMU/USD/USF when it comes to rankings and getting some of school paid for and having soccer continue is a pretty good deal. A good coach can recruit anywhere and a college student can get a good education anywhere.

Roughly and these are old numbers and cobbled together from various sources: mountain west schools get upwards of $4 million in payouts. WCC is around $250,000 (thanks Gonzaga bball!!) and Big West is $175,000-$200,000.

Honestly, they aren’t comparable to the other WCC schools you mention, not even close. The reality is Stockton is not a desirable place for a girl with a good gpa and SAT score to spend four years of college unless they are from the area and want to remain close to home, or they are getting a massive scholarship and that was the best or maybe only financial option. LMU/USD/USF are all in much more attractive locations than Stockton. All of the other schools you mention are much prettier. All of them are much higher ranked academically (66, 88, and 103 vs 133 according to US News). Pepperdine (whose 6-1 drubbing caused this thread) is ranked 49th and on another planet in terms of college campuses. Each of these schools have thousands upon thousands of additional internship and employment opportunities just by virtue of the cities where they are located. All of them provide a better college experience. UOP does not have a strong network of grads/employers virtually anywhere other than Sac and Stockton. Stockton also has just about the worst crime of anywhere in CA.

There are probably 7-10 players each at places like Cal, USC, Stanford, UCLA, and Santa Clara, who are recruited walk-ons getting no athletic money at all, and every single one of them could have gotten a free ride at UOP, but their families had no interest in UOP for their kid even for free. There is no way to possibly build a consistently solid college women’s soccer program at a school that very few women, and no truly elite players, are interested in going for free.

None of this is a knock on UOP. UOP is a good school for the right person. Elite female soccer player is not one of them. Nor is it a good school for someone who could have gone to UCLA or Cal or even Davis or UCSB even if that means their soccer career is over, unless those schools are cost prohibitive and soccer is getting you a full ride to UOP. Or you want to stay in the area.

I think that @EOTL is telling it like it is for a portion of the girls who play soccer in California - which are upper middle class girls with good gpa and SAT score. And he is very right about choosing a university in a place where there are opportunities for jobs and internships - no matter what your socio-economic situation. My only criticism is that he is replying on US News rankings when you should look more international rankings in today's world like QS. UCB ranks more than a lot higher than Pepperdine, for example. You also shouldn't totally look at rankings for undergrad - unless you are majoring in hard science majors, etc. Class- size is another factor. The benefit of UOP is that they have smaller class sizes so I am assuming discussion-based learning which is really important for careers that require skills like problem-solving, creativity, writing, thinking. Some kids don't really learn in large classes.

In a lot of fields you need at least a 3.5 GPA to be even be considered for a quality masters program at a high ranked-university like UCB. Is playing sports in college worth it for your individual player career-wise ?

Having worked in admissions in college athletics I’ll just reiterate that that’s a terrible way to look at Pacific. I’m well versed in the mindset of the soccer parent and going to Berkeley as a walk on might be the better choice for someone, where getting scholarship money at pacific and getting on the field is a better choice for someone else. The narrative that you have to be at a UC or top private to be a success or as a road to success is just incorrect. I’ve had kids go from a JC to an insanely amazing career path and kids from Stanford work retail. It’s the kid and what they put into their college education not the college.

and there’s something to be said about being on the field and playing. For some kids that lights them up and makes their soccer experience amazing. So to get money at pacific and compete could mean magic for some student athletes.

and lastly Stockton is one of the fastest and largest growing cities for the tech and entrepreneurial sector. The amount of opportunity there has exploded and will continue to.

I’m not even a Pacific fan but to bad mouth a school and city based on perception is so short sighted. We should be encouraging our kids to be open to all sorts of schools and experiences. The right fit could be anywhere and the name on the sweatshirt or diploma matters less than the person wearing or holding it.

Having worked in admissions in college athletics I’ll just reiterate that that’s a terrible way to look at Pacific. I’m well versed in the mindset of the soccer parent and going to Berkeley as a walk on might be the better choice for someone, where getting scholarship money at pacific and getting on the field is a better choice for someone else. The narrative that you have to be at a UC or top private to be a success or as a road to success is just incorrect. I’ve had kids go from a JC to an insanely amazing career path and kids from Stanford work retail. It’s the kid and what they put into their college education not the college.

and there’s something to be said about being on the field and playing. For some kids that lights them up and makes their soccer experience amazing. So to get money at pacific and compete could mean magic for some student athletes.

and lastly Stockton is one of the fastest and largest growing cities for the tech and entrepreneurial sector. The amount of opportunity there has exploded and will continue to.

I’m not even a Pacific fan but to bad mouth a school and city based on perception is so short sighted. We should be encouraging our kids to be open to all sorts of schools and experiences. The right fit could be anywhere and the name on the sweatshirt or diploma matters less than the person wearing or holding it.
1616550335397.png

The only person being short-sighted here is the guy trying to argue that four years of middling soccer at a lower tier university in one of the most crime ridden areas in the United States presents better opportunity than hanging up the cleats and instead going to any of at least 100 different schools. Argue all you want, but we all know I’m right. That’s not bad mouthing UOP, which provides great opportunity to the right kid. But like I said earlier, that does not include elite girls soccer players. Or kids who can afford better schools. Because, duh, there are a s**t ton of better schools out there. UOP has never had a consistently solid women’s soccer program and it will never have one, ever, for the reasons I have stated. That is reality.

Never once in history has a truly elite women’s soccer ever gone there, and there’s a reason for that. And thousands upon thousands of girls who could get a free ride to UOP instead pay tuition to go somewhere else. In fact, there are probably 10s of thousands of kids every year who could play soccer at UOP but decide the better option is to quit soccer entirely AND pay more in tuition. If you think otherwise and that UOP is a better long term opportunity for any girl from outside the area than virtually any other university in the United States with a soccer team, it explains why you’re no longer in college athletic admissions.

That thing about Stockton surpassing the Bay Area, San Diego, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Portland, Seattle, Boston, NYC, Chicago, Phoenix, Orange County, Charlotte, Denver, Washington DC, Atlanta, Raleigh, and probably 50 other cities in the US for tech jobs is a good one. There must be 200 colleges in towns with more tech opportunities than mighty Stockton. When people talk tech education, UOP is always the first college that comes to mind, right?

But go for it and send your kid to UOP instead of UCLA.

Or, go to U of Pacific ((I love the name)) and then get hired at UCLA. I think this school has potential :)

1616551966565.png

Last edited:
The men’s soccer recruiting pool is a very different animal, so using the men’s success as a comparator doesn’t make a lot of sense. UOP simply cannot consistently succeed in women’s soccer due to location, because it is not a well respected academic institution, it doesn’t have a college atmosphere, and there just isn’t much of a pool of local girls who can play and might want to stay close to home. That is just how it is. Most elite girls come from upper middle class families who have done well enough academically and financially to get into a lot of schools. Most would prefer to be a recruited walk-on and pay more at the likes of UCSB or UCD. Parents also realize that UCLA or Berkeley without soccer is a better idea than UOP so their kid can lace them up for four more years. For most kids, it’s time to move on in life if your best option to keep playing involves moving to a lower tier academic institution in Stockton.

On the men’s side, there is a much larger pool of kids who can play a little for whom their options are either UOP on a soccer scholarship or JC at best, due to financial and/or academic restraints that are non-issues for most families of elite girls. Or whose parents don’t appreciate the difference between UCLA and UOP academically. Or who want to stay close to home. Boys and girls ate totally different demographics with different motivations.
This is a good post. This is what you should stick to.

The idea that you’re reading what I said as opining that pacific is “the best college in America for a women’s soccer player” is pretty telling. We clearly won’t agree.

Tell us, where did you play college sports and where is your daughter playing college soccer? I’d love to hear about your college athletic experience and your kid’s as well.

The idea that you’re reading what I said as opining that pacific is “the best college in America for a women’s soccer player” is pretty telling. We clearly won’t agree.

Tell us, where did you play college sports and where is your daughter playing college soccer? I’d love to hear about your college athletic experience and your kid’s as well.

UOP was never an option, even free, if that is what you’re asking.

Back