2020 State Cup

Do we know when they determine the groups? I think I read on there one month before, so somewhere after the first week of January? What’s the method again – random draw, correct?

So I assume the 10 winners of the groups will move on plus 6 wild cards?
If so, how do they determine the wild cards considering not all teams will play the same number of games?

Yes I saw that, but like I have said the last 2 State Cups, you never know.
It will be interesting to see which teams advance.

Well, by looking at the last 2 year you could paraphrase Gary Lineker: State Cup is a tournament of games where 2009 girls chase the ball for 60 minutes and in the end the Eagles always win. :D

So I assume the 10 winners of the groups will move on plus 6 wild cards?
If so, how do they determine the wild cards considering not all teams will play the same number of games?
Wild cards are determined by points (3 points for win, 1 point for tie). Groups of three teams only play two games so only the winner advances.

State Cup is a joke. You have the CSL (Eagles) and SDDA (Albion) champions together in group A and the SCDSL West (LAGSB) and SCDSL South (Legends) champions in group C. And then you have groups D and J which basically have two flight 2 teams in each group. No, I'm not bitter.

Teams can protest and have in the past when ridiculous groupings have come out. Talk to your Club Director and have them call the lovely, and so fair, Cal South. MR will help

Dont like it, then dont play in it. Would you rather your girls team be in one of the brackets with the flight 2 teams so it's an easier path? Gotta beat the top teams at some point, might as well do it right from the jump.
I get it, but it goes beyond winning the whole thing. Final 8 get fast tracked into CRL. Their players get more ODP scouting exposure. Understandable that teams who would have earned a higher seeding in a non-random-draw scenario feel like they have a reasonable path to that.

I get it, but it goes beyond winning the whole thing. Final 8 get fast tracked into CRL. Their players get more ODP scouting exposure. Understandable that teams who would have earned a higher seeding in a non-random-draw scenario feel like they have a reasonable path to that.
To be the best you have to beat the best. Even in the NBA and Champions league you often times see the best two teams getting knocked out before the semi finals.

To be the best you have to beat the best. Even in the NBA and Champions league you often times see the best two teams getting knocked out before the semi finals.
Correct. I acknowledged that point. No one disagrees.

What I was trying to say is there are other elements of the state cup tournament beyond being crowned the champion.

Everyone knows it’s a random draw. You sign up what for what you sign up for. The scenario that unfolded happens every year to a degree. Yes – the road to being the state cup champion goes through all the best teams and in this case with a random draw sometimes you go through those best teams in group stage.

That doesn’t take away a bummer scenario for either Legends or Galaxy South Bay. They emerged at the top of probably the toughest brackets in the entire country (sorry MARs!). If one of them doesn’t advance, which I believe someone above said to be the case, and thus jeopardizing their ability to get into CRL or their best players getting maximum exposure for ODP, I would be bummed if I were them too.

Granted, for CRL they could just smoke everybody in the play in tournament. But it is still fair to say it’s a bummer to be put in that position after what they pulled off this fall.

Wild cards are determined by points (3 points for win, 1 point for tie). Groups of three teams only play two games so only the winner advances.

State Cup is a joke. You have the CSL (Eagles) and SDDA (Albion) champions together in group A and the SCDSL West (LAGSB) and SCDSL South (Legends) champions in group C. And then you have groups D and J which basically have two flight 2 teams in each group. No, I'm not bitter.
What if the “tier 2 team” beats your kid’s team tho

Correct. I acknowledged that point. No one disagrees.

What I was trying to say is there are other elements of the state cup tournament beyond being crowned the champion.

Everyone knows it’s a random draw. You sign up what for what you sign up for. The scenario that unfolded happens every year to a degree. Yes – the road to being the state cup champion goes through all the best teams and in this case with a random draw sometimes you go through those best teams in group stage.

That doesn’t take away a bummer scenario for either Legends or Galaxy South Bay. They emerged at the top of probably the toughest brackets in the entire country (sorry MARs!). If one of them doesn’t advance, which I believe someone above said to be the case, and thus jeopardizing their ability to get into CRL or their best players getting maximum exposure for ODP, I would be bummed if I were them too.
Last year, I didn’t see anyone complain about slammers pa draw. That was an all time brutal path to the finals.

From experience, when there's only 3 teams in a bracket and they're not playing another bracket for position, the top two teams will move on. I think it happened in the 2009s last year too. The team that gets disadvantaged is the weakest team in the bracket because they don't have much room to gain points for wildcard positions. Link below to show bracket A only had 3 teams but advanced 2 out of 3:

Back