2020 Recruiting classes

Agree, but even more important than hams are glutes. I say this as my DD is just now coming back to the field after ACL tear last March. Glutes set the stability for everything else you mention. She's been in the weight room like an animal with squats, ham exercises and overall fitness. Hopefully her new body will at least reduce her risk as she returns.

At what age should weight training begin?

I don't know what the science says, but if you have an athelete bound for college athletics (in this case women's soccer), I would say 16 or 17.

I was talking to a physician the other day and asked him about ACL tear prevention. After asking about key exercises to strengthen areas that compensate for the quad development, he said to consider avoiding deadlifts, which are supposedly key for such injury prevention, because most girls don't execute the movement correctly because they aren't taught correctly. I found that interesting and wondered what the rest of you have learned or experienced.

I was talking to a physician the other day and asked him about ACL tear prevention. After asking about key exercises to strengthen areas that compensate for the quad development, he said to consider avoiding deadlifts, which are supposedly key for such injury prevention, because most girls don't execute the movement correctly because they aren't taught correctly. I found that interesting and wondered what the rest of you have learned or experienced.
My DD has done her fair share of deadlifts, but under strict supervision of a trainer that knows the exact movement and positioning required to get the desired outcome. Form and positioning are critical and absent that, like your Doc says, it's probably going to hurt rather than help. Same goes with squats, leg press, etc... Also, learning how to jump/land properly, as well as turn and change direction while running/sprinting. Mechanics at nauseam is what's required.

Back